KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got our 4 sx engines back together this weekend. All I can say is that I have never ridden anything that is as exciting to ride. We have always had Curtis Sparks built Honda Pro motors and they are impressive, but these Baldwin bikes are just mean. We ran the Honda against the KTM last night on the Black-Top. Just about 300 ft. and the 450 SX walked away from the Honda. It was real close to 40 ft. by the end of the run. I really believe that this season is going to be very interesting.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Baldwin makes a 14.1 piston? If so Im getting one for sure. I like big bottom and thats the way to get it. I bet with piston and cams the bikes feel killer. I cant wait to put a piston and cams in mine. Carb will be bored out next week. Nice work.

Ps. Any dyno numbers??

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baldwin has the pistons for sure. I wish I had dyno #'s but there was no time to run the quads. All of the stuff is on its way to Florida for practice before the Alabama National. The bikes are violent for sure. It almost feels like riding a good old CR or KX 500. Bottom is good then it all breaks loose when it comes in to the mid and top end. These bikes love to rev out and they don't seem to sign off. Got to love this orange stuff!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
THats kinda what I figured with Baldwin. I knew he was going to dive in to the KTM with both feet. Especially since he has Two riders on them in the Pro Class. I just how long he takes to ship things

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
gads.......... wobbly at the knees at the thought of these engines...........

I guess Baldwins contact details are on there website....

·
Registered
880 Posts
hey dswartfager what class do u race?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THats kinda what I figured with Baldwin. I knew he was going to dive in to the KTM with both feet. Especially since he has Two riders on them in the Pro Class. I just how long he takes to ship things
Baldwin did nothing to the bottom end. I got the tranny's isotropic finished, blueprinted, and cryo frozen. I also did some clean-up work to get rid of the casting flash and surface roughness from the cases. The crank is pretty nice stock though a little heavy, but these bikes need all the bottom end and tractability that they can get. Keep in mind that the piston pin is 1mm larger on the 505 con-rod, if you are going to dive into the bottom end. These engines are not like the xc's where you can just change the jug and run with it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Baldwin did nothing to the bottom end. I got the tranny's isotropic finished, blueprinted, and cryo frozen. I also did some clean-up work to get rid of the casting flash and surface roughness from the cases. The crank is pretty nice stock though a little heavy, but these bikes need all the bottom end and tractability that they can get. Keep in mind that the piston pin is 1mm larger on the 505 con-rod, if you are going to dive into the bottom end. These engines are not like the xc's where you can just change the jug and run with it.

Wow! good to know! thank you!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Baldwin doesn't have any pro riders on the SX, he only has Josh Upperman and he signed with honda.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I meant two of his riders that rode for him in the past(Farr &Morrello) is that not correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts