KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site... I picked my 525xc up today, an its backfiring on decel, messed around with the air/fuel screw an it is still doing it... Anyone else having these problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
GENERALLY decell is on the needle or pilot jet. I would try moving the clip on the needle first to see if that fixes anything. If not try a different size pilot

·
Registered
769 Posts
everyone that owns an XC has the problem, the cure has been detailed on the site before, the way I cured the problem was to remove the head pipe and grind down (about an 1/8") the female flange that mates the male flange bolted to the head, in other words remove the head pipe from the bike, and shorten the two exh. port pipes on the head pipe by and 1/8" or so, put it back together with a little high temp RTV and the issue is cured

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
everyone that owns an XC has the problem, the cure has been detailed on the site before, the way I cured the problem was to remove the head pipe and grind down (about an 1/8") the female flange that mates the male flange bolted to the head, in other words remove the head pipe from the bike, and shorten the two exh. port pipes on the head pipe by and 1/8" or so, put it back together with a little high temp RTV and the issue is cured
Oh ya, I forgot about that issue

·
Registered
769 Posts
mine did it from day one, Brad you are correct you can help it by increasing the pilot size from 42 to 45, which I req. to do.. but it doesn't seem to cure it...

KYR525, welcome to the site, feel free to ask, we don't have all the answers yet but we are working on getting them ;)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
mine did it from day one, Brad you are correct you can help it by increasing the pilot size from 42 to 45, which I req. to do.. but it doesn't seem to cure it...

KYR525, welcome to the site, feel free to ask, we don't have all the answers yet but we are working on getting them ;)

Or if we dont know and cant figure it out we will at least blow smoke up your ... :p

jk

·
Registered
64 Posts
New to the site... I picked my 525xc up today, an its backfiring on decel, messed around with the air/fuel screw an it is still doing it... Anyone else having these problem? Any suggestions?

i HIGHLY recommend finding a badass welder who can put a nice factory looking TIG weld around both openings in the flange piece/head pipe. no cutting is necessary. take your head pipe off, then your flange peice that bolts onto the head. i have done this to my bike and i know lost down under has as well and it's a solid fix. as long as you have the two pieces lined up perfectly as if they were on the bike, then you should have zero problem bolting everything back up. if you really don't want to do this, then i think the only other fix is high heat silicon??....ehhhhhhh :dunno:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try this stuff... Thanks... So is the dasa slip on the best after market exhaust to go with, or the full system hmf??? I had dasa on my ltr an loved it...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll try this stuff... Thanks... So is the dasa slip on the best after market exhaust to go with, or the full system hmf??? I had dasa on my ltr an loved it...

in my opinion i'd go with the dasa slip-on given that the stock head pipe on this bike is pretty much as good as you're gonna get. the bottle neck in the stock exhaust is definately the canister. but, if you don't want to spend that much money here's what i did to my bike and posted on here....http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/invision/index.php?showtopic=1564....i'm very pleased with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts