KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i was wondering how tight to put the axle nut i had mine loosen up 2 times now
i know its tapered bearings in the carrier and you dont really tighten them too much i had tapered on my 450r and always set them near hand tight never had a problem though i did have a rpm antifade nut any info would help thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
hello everyone i was wondering how tight to put the axle nut i had mine loosen up 2 times now
i know its tapered bearings in the carrier and you dont really tighten them too much i had tapered on my 450r and always set them near hand tight never had a problem though i did have a rpm antifade nut any info would help thanks

Book says: 25 Nm (18.4 lbf ft) for clamping nut

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
I had both the XC and the sx lossen up a couple times quite quickly from new then no problems after that, everything needs to bed in and find it's "set"

·
Registered
430 Posts
A trick alot of guys do including myself is to wrap electrical tape around the nut and the axle so i cannot turn loose. No problems after that

·
Registered
430 Posts
nope, black tape

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'd advise everyone to take it easy when tightening the nut down, I cracked one along one of the casting marks while tightening it. Now I just snug it down with a strap wrench to keep from chewing the aluminum up. Probably wouldn't hurt to tape it like Stryker does.

·
Registered
477 Posts
RPM makes an anti-fade nut for these, James at JPMX cracked his axle nut and now stocks the RPM one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts