KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just fired up the quad for the first time after doing the factory 540 kit and water started to come out between the threads on the stud and the nut. I used the factory coper washers and the ARP washer. I am thinking I need to add silicon to the threads on the stud.

Has any one run into this issue?

IMG_2275.jpg

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The regular 450 and 525 cylinders have dry head bolts whereas the factor 540 cylinder uses wet bolts. I'm guessing ARP didn't account for the wet studs when they designed their system for these. Might have to ditch the ARP washer so the nut seats right on the copper. If the hole is too big in the center of the copper washer for that, you might have to get a thin one between the ARP nut and washer as well. If that doesn't stop it, they you will probably need to silicone the threads too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I clean the water off it comes out from the threads and the nut. I would say the coper washer is working.
I am going to use silicone on the treads since their is no smooth part of the stud coming out of the head. If that does not work I will go back to the stock bolts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The water is not leaking out between washers it is leaking out from the top between the threads and the nut. When I clean the water the washers stay dry till the water starts to come out from the top. I used silicone and thread sealant no water leaks so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts