KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im hoping there are some racers in this form that can help me on this topic.

I race XC and am getting arm pump really bad this year. I got some last year on my 400ex but nothing like i do this year. I think part of the problem in the position of the KTM throttle, which im swapping out for a 450r's.

But after 3 races so far, at the end of the race, my forearms are jacked. Just nothing left and there hard as a rock. Its go hard to hang on let alone push the throttle. Im a pretty fast rider im my class and i know it, but the only thing holding me back is having to slow down b/c of the arm pump.

I've gotten on of those gyro powerballs, havent really tried it yet, and im gonna start eating bananas, and stretching a little better. Is there anything else i can do to help reduce the amount of arm pump im getting?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before each desert race I take a couple of aspirin and rub down my forearms with bengay. I also try to go for a quick ride before the race which helps me loosen up. Hope this helps out.
Right on, ill give it a try, im up for just about anything at this point.

However i do know i have to try and relax my grip, but its so dam hard when im holding on for dear life on these things. Maybe i just plain have to much power. (jokeing)

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Relaxing your grip is the best "cure" I always ride with a "loose" grip and don't worry when the bars start wagging around, just go with it !!

A good - aggressive gripper seat is a must, takes the load off your arms.

I found Flexx bars also help, they reduce the shock loading transmitted to wrists

the KTM's front shocks are to harsh in there damping this is beating up your fore arms and accelerating the onset of pump conditions (your hanging on tighter and getting more feedback from the front end due to the heavy damping settings) Get those shocks revalved will help !!

Rubbing down your fore arms with dilute acetic acid - white vinegar before the race really helps (old athletics coach remedy)

want an in depth details / discussion..........

medical explaination of how - why

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the suspension revalved by rocket ron, percision steering dampener, flex bars w/ yellow inserts, so i think im good as far as that goes?

Vinegar huh? ill have to try that. I read about pple using icy hot or bengay, i think ill try them first
. Also been reading about taking 1 or 2 asprin an hour b4 the race.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
i find that being loose on the bike really helps, while everbody complains about having arm pump during about the last 2 laps, im blowing by these guys, because i just go with the bike and hang on loosely.

there is a song by 38 special

"just hold on loosely, but dont let go, if you cling on too tightly, youre gonna loose control"

its in without a paddle, i go by it though lol

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
try some supplements from motox nutrition. i've heard really good things about the products. i have samples i'm going to try this season. i also think arm pump is mental to an extent. i've had really bad arm pump myself even though i've been working out for over a year.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
really good advice I had several years back was to stetch your fingers out on open fast sections when your planted on the seat, this really eased off the tightening up in the fore arms, that and riding with a loose grip rather than clenching your fingers, these really helped.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not the only one that suffers from this .... lol Its always been a problem for me. I ask my friends I ride with .... "so do you guys ever get bad arm pump when you ride?" Answers ... "NO"
I think its some what genetic, I think a few of us a prone to get arm pump rather easy. I can ride all day in easy conditions and not have a problem. I can ride very aggressive and have problems within 5 min. My arm pump was so bad last time I was at the dunes that my hands looked like I had cerebral palsy because they begin to crap so bad, guess my forearms ran out of room.
I'll definitely have to try some of those tips.
-Voodoo

·
Registered
140 Posts
twist throttle helps alot, also get a pair of hand strengtheners and while you are driving or watchin tv use them they work the exact muscles that burns w/ arm pump also moto x nutrition helps relax you and all the other suggestions everyone else gave. I'm big fan of Flexx and steering damper along with relaxed grip help the most!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Im def gonna try a few this weekend at the races. I've been hydrating and eating bananas all week, im also gonna rub my forarms with bengay and take an asprine b4 the race along with loosening my grip. I have supplements on order from moto x nutrition. Hopefully somthing works b/c im sick of getting the white flag and wanting to push harder but cant b/c my arms are hurting so bad.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I used to get arm pump so bad you'd think I was retarded or something. I tried several things including the hand strengther spring thingy's, which made it worse. I was told using them trains these particular muscles to tighten up when worked. True or not I don't know, just didn't work for me. These days I rarely get it because I eat better, use a very good steering damper(precision), and spent lots of time learning to ride loose, and grip correctly. Meaning, while in the air flex your fingers and even let go breifly, consciencely think about griping less while practicing. A gripper or hump seat helps a ton!! If it doesn't pull your pants down after while it doesn't grip enough. Nowadays I've got more power than I've ever had and less arm pump. Practice, practice, practice.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go to the chemist or sports store and get some hydration suppliment that is low in sugar but has Magnesium and Potassium in it. Drink before and during if you do XC. Similar to Gatorade but with way less sugar. Magnesium is a muscle relaxer so you will get less cramps and way less arm pump. Potassium also helps rehydrate but sugar sucks! Sugar gives you a quik 2 minute rush then leaves you more dehydrated than before and with way less energy.

Let me know how you go.

Oh, I also found that the rebound was way to hard on the rear shock from the factory and actually made the compression too hard also. When I backed off the rebound a bunch the quad started behaving nice and was much easier to hang on to.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts