KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a new helmet for a bit now and I've been looking at airoh stealth (good deals locally) and also like the arai helmets. My dad used to rally and said he would never have any other helmet than an arai.

I was just wondering if there are any guys out there with them that would like to share their opinion.

I read a bit on thumper talk about goggles not fitting right on arai's so I've found a place locally that stocks them so going to go and have a try on today, then order online if i like them.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can't say on dirt helmets because I've used Troy Lee's the last few years, but on the street I only use Arai. Seen too many injuries when using cheaper helmets. The extra cash is worth it for the safety in my opinion. Troy Lee helmets are a little cheaper usually and still up there in safety so i'd check those out too. I've had really good luck with them in conjunction with a Leatt Brace. Broke my shoulder and tore alot of muscles/tendons yet safe up top.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Simple answer is NO. For the road, maybe, but off road definitely not. They are all approved under the same system for safety and they Arai does not score any higher then the others like Fox, HJC, etc. They are definitely not worth what they want for them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
First off... I know the topic is about Arai helemts, but thought I'd just throw my 2 cents in about another "expensive" brand.

I ride both on and off road, I've used nothing but Shoei for on road, awesome comfort and excellent ventilation. Wind noise is also a lot less then with other brands I've tried like HJC.

For the past few years I've been using a cheaper HJC off road helemt up until recently. I bought a Shoei VFX-W. NIGHT AND DAY difference in the comfort and ventilation department!! HANDS DOWN worth the money just for the comfort compared to the HJC it replaces.

I'm sure the Arai's are very similar in ventilation and comfort compared to the cheaper helmets out there. I know they are all DOT approved and do the same thing, but IMO the extra cash for comfort and ventilation is well worth it... again my 2 cents! ;)

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have had shoei, Fox and a few others. Hands down I love my Arai vx pro the best. Yes it cost me 5 bills but well worth it. Only down side is that you only get to use 3-4 different goggles because the opening is smaller than most, which is part of what I love. I've been roosted pretty bad and got nothing in the face. Everybody is gonna have a different opinion but YOURS is the only one that counts. I would try them on and you will see. It took me a while to talk myself into the money because they are priced at 600 + but I got hooked up pretty good through my parts guy. My opinion: nothing compares!!!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Shoei or Arai only, no other way to go. Comfort, ventilation, etc. Also, I know that my head is absolutely priceless ( even with only a few B cells left), $500-$5000 is worth protecting my head.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Arai makes the best helmets bar none.It's your head,why put a price on it?

They are worth every penny and then some.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
from what i have found, its all in what fits you best, and how much you can justify spending.

i like hjc, then again, my last hjc i bought was 3 bills, and that was in like 01ish, any cheaper helmet will of course be cheaper, make sure when you compare any helmets you compare same range, not like the 79 buck special vs the carbon fiber 500 dollar jobber...

if i raced i would prolly look more into helmets than i do, my biggest thing is comfort, goggles must fit, and has to have airflow adequate for conditions.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I buy what fits my size 3XL head!! LOL Very few mfgrs make a helmet that will fit my fat head. I just found out the Klim is now making their F-4 helmet in my size and I will be looking to upgrade from my tried and trusted HJC's to something with a better rating and much better cooling.

Price difference between the two ??? Approx $80 bucks just about anywhere for a HCJ....... $400 bucks for the Klim.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This is what I Have right now.Lightest and best fitting off road helmet I have tried..

On road..I have an Arai RX7 Corsair

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
I am very concerned about the amount of posts in this thread regarding helmet safety! A shoei/Arai DOES do a better job of protecting your head. After concussions and KO's with cheaper helmets i switched to Shoei. Since then I've bashed my head 6 ways from Sunday on the MX track and never had so much as a headache. The inner material and polystyrene layers are much higher quality than a cheaper helmet.

Lower priced helmets merely meet SNELL and ECE certification levels, Shoei/Arai EXCEED THEM. Do not be fooled by the ads from cheaper manufacturers promoting superior safety, a higher price point helmet IS a safer helmet. Period.

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went with this one. Very comfortable and got a pretty good deal on it. Doubt i will buy any other brand again. Takes my rip and roll, oakley o frame and my other set of goggles - forget the make, no problem at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think alot has to do with fit and how the goggles fit also. Arai makes some good helmets along with Shoei, but I will tell you now. My TLD helmet is way better in fit and finish compared to the Arai I have. Its moreless a personal preference. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as long as it fits.

^^^^^^^^^ collecting dust

^^^^^^ being used now ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Its funny how different helmets fit. You love your TLD helmet and I can't wear one cause they squeeze my head funny. I just switched to a shoei this year and I love it. Good ventilation, good safety features, and it just feels plush when I put it on. I had a couple Fox V3's before that I liked too, but the shoei is on a different level from them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I went with this one. Very comfortable and got a pretty good deal on it. Doubt i will buy any other brand again. Takes my rip and roll, oakley o frame and my other set of goggles - forget the make, no problem at all.
now that's a badazz helmet, how much was it?.....wanna do some trading?...lol

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I got the orange one. The orange color looks kind of dull in the picture but it is much brighter in person.
orange shoei helmet.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts