KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well this is the YFZ that Quad and Dirtwheels has been waiting for....Aluminum framed, full injected and MX width

http://www.atvscene.com/machines/yamaha/yfz450r_091.html

with all these new MX specific offerings from KTM, Can Am, Suzuki(rumor is Suzuki will offer MX and XC models of their LT450Rs), and now Yamaha...what do yall think is instore for the future of the 450 sport quads? think all the major players will off MX and XC models? things are about to get interesting i think

·
Registered
153 Posts
wow that red one is....omg. but for some reason i think im going to stay with getting a 450xc or sx... i love the gas tank area on the yfz...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pretty funny how KTM has made all the others step it up!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Pretty funny how KTM has made all the others step it up!
Can Am and specialy Katoom!
left their mark on the market past year. I said specialy KTM because it was their first quad and they came out with so many improvements over the regular 450's and such a fabulous atv that competitors were very surprised.

Yamaha is already sending the message that they are not sleeping. This new YFZ 450R is a good step but in my opinion nothing fantastic like the KTM. It has a big flaw in my opinion: the weight is up too much so the general performance will suffer because i believe this new EFI 450 engine will be on par with the old, featuring carb.

Suzuki is cleary working on something too. Honda "seems" to be sleeping...

I think the new KTM SX will have no rival, it has the best features. The only thing who could keep ppl away from it is the price but nothing is perfect

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think Yamaha has really done anything too extraordinary. Bet that frame has MAJOR issues!!!

Jay
a buddy of mine has a first gen 700R and has had no frame issues that he didnt cause by his own stupidity like ripping an a arm off by hitting a stump cause he wasnt paying attention or when he launched it off a cliff cause he was soooooo drunk....and he has launched it off some insane jumps like the 40 foot step up that had a 20ft elevation change at one of pits we used to ride at....so i dunno i think they might have th hybrid frame figured out

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
the raptor frame wasnt aluminum though, the new yfz frame is, this is their first shot at an aluminum framed quad. and has anybody noticed its not MX width, its 48 inches, thats how wide the KTM XC is in the rear end stock. 50 inches is the gold standard.

I think that we are overlooking the new Can-Ams when we say that the KTM will have no competition, the DS 450 has a very potent engine, and the new KYB shocks have massive shock bodies, the KTM doesnt come with heel guards, but thats not too big a deal i guess, i wont race without heal guards tough

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
a buddy of mine has a first gen 700R and has had no frame issues that he didnt cause by his own stupidity like ripping an a arm off by hitting a stump cause he wasnt paying attention or when he launched it off a cliff cause he was soooooo drunk....and he has launched it off some insane jumps like the 40 foot step up that had a 20ft elevation change at one of pits we used to ride at....so i dunno i think they might have th hybrid frame figured out

The new Yamaha YFZ450R has an aluminum frame, and to top it off they notched it and put a joint in it to make it even weaker in one of the most common places to break a frame.

Oh and since when is a 40 ft step up going big? I've seen guys jump utility quads bigger than that...lol...

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Hope everyone can rember the first YFZ's...broke A-Arms that lead to broken bodies I know of two personally...one guy was going through the whoops at 50-55 mph and man it hurt him some kinda bad...broke leg and ribs...fortunately he was on sand and it was somewhat forgiving...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The new Yamaha YFZ450R has an aluminum frame, and to top it off they notched it and put a joint in it to make it even weaker in one of the most common places to break a frame.

Oh and since when is a 40 ft step up going big? I've seen guys jump utility quads bigger than that...lol...
40 ft gap that launches you 20ft in the air....seems pretty big and half the raptor frame is aluminum....then entire frame of the new YFZ isnt all aluminum

·
Registered
153 Posts
whats funny is that the airbox on the yfz looks just like the ktms style air box

ktm 450sx > yfz450R

Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just so were clear im not trying to defend yamaha im looking into a 450sx or a ds450X mx myself. i just what yall thought about the how things are turning out with the 450 class sport quads

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like the fact that everyone seems to be stepping up...but now you have to decipher the facts from the BS...I'm in pretty tight with one of the most renowned engine builders today and I asked him about some of the new bikes...Keep in mind this guy builds Joe Byrds motors and most of the Can-Am teams motors & a Yamaha team members quad...

That YFZ is just the same old same old but with EFI...despite what they are telling us...and it's 40 lbs heavier...

DS450...still having problems making "big horsepower"...extremely expensive to get decent numbers out of that engine...

KTM has much potential but very expensive...

Honda won't have anything to speak of until they install that 450 power plant off their bike into the TRX...now THAT could be something for sure...50mm TB?...Interesting for sure...

Their opinion is the LTR is still the best bang for the buck (not looking for arguments just telling you what he said from the inside)...even though these guys bleed Honda red...

So if your going to invest? The KTM and the LTR seem to be the only worthwhile investments...

Also interesting was the new Can-Am SXS due out late next year...thats supposed to rip it up...

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Their opinion is the LTR is still the best bang for the buck (not looking for arguments just telling you what he said from the inside)...even though these guys bleed Honda red...

So if your going to invest? The KTM and the LTR seem to be the only worthwhile investments...
My LTZ470 will take your LTR......................................................in reverse
I gained a lot of respect for the LT-R after seeing a guy about 160 lbs riding through the whoops at Olds Hill WOT...He couldn't pull away from me, but he was much faster through the whoops...like unbelievably fast!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
My LTZ470 will take your LTR......................................................in reverse
I gained a lot of respect for the LT-R after seeing a guy about 160 lbs riding through the whoops at Olds Hill WOT...He couldn't pull away from me, but he was much faster through the whoops...like unbelievably fast!!!
There's a couple of LTZ's out there that can take my LTR...

It's a darn good ride...I'm very happy with mine...but I'm still Jonesing for a KTM....gotta wait until the newness of the SX wears off and they will start coming down on the price...

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Good idea SandJunkie! We can only hope they drop huge in price, cuz I want another one after my 505 comes in...lol....

Jay

1 - 20 of 29 Posts