KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to race several "want-to-be-comptetitors" this week (with my bone-stock 525) and here is what happened:

Race #1 (YFZ 450) - I raced a YFZ with a full exhaust, intake and jetting. We raced all the way to 5th wide open. From the beginning I immediately pulled him and kept pulling him. By 300' I was ahead by 4 bikes and by 5th gear I simply kept walking away. If we had raced for a mile I would have been ahead by 1/4 mile. YFZ's are garbage compared to the KTM.

Race #2 (Raptor 700) - I raced a "Big 3" Raptor 700r on another 5th gear run. I was excited to race this quad since according to the shootout between the KTM and a Raptor 700 they were neck-and-neck and the Raptor pulled the KTM top end. I got a bad start and the Raptor pulled a bike ahead, that was until I got into the powerband. I started to gain quickly on the Raptor and by 3rd I was a 2 bikes in front of him. By 5th gear I was at least 3 bikes in front and I kept pulling. Once again from beginning to end the KTM was faster. So much for what magazines said. The Craptor should have stomped me with 3 mods, but of course it didn't. ANother KTM victory.

Race #3 - (KFX 450) - I saw this guy with this trick looking KFX and went up to him. He had a full exhaust, complete intake, Power Commander fuel module and Hot Cams. He had put $1,500 into the performance of his quad and said it was fast. We lined up for a 300' drag, for which KFX's are "supposed" to be good at. We did a few runs and the same results occured. Right from the start I pulled in front and continued to pull until by the end of the drag I was 3 bikes in front of him. No matter what he did he couldn't win. Mind you, my bike is bone stock and this KFX had 4 mods. Needless to say, he was dissapponted with the POS that Kawasaki made and said he was going to get a KTM.

No one can beat the KTM even with three (or four) mods. The top quads need 5 mods in order to be equal with the KTM stock. The KTM's are the best quads EVER and I can't understand why anyone would buy a Japanese piece of s**t. The KTM has a much better engine, suspension, frame, ergonomics and looks than any others. Sure it's a little more money but you can find deals as I only paid $8599 for mine which is only about a grand more than the other weak competitors. Katoom!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a chance to race several "want-to-be-comptetitors" this week (with my bone-stock 525) and here is what happened:

Race #1 (YFZ 450) - I raced a YFZ with a full exhaust, intake and jetting. We raced all the way to 5th wide open. From the beginning I immediately pulled him and kept pulling him. By 300' I was ahead by 4 bikes and by 5th gear I simply kept walking away. If we had raced for a mile I would have been ahead by 1/4 mile. YFZ's are garbage compared to the KTM.

Race #2 (Raptor 700) - I raced a "Big 3" Raptor 700r on another 5th gear run. I was excited to race this quad since according to the shootout between the KTM and a Raptor 700 they were neck-and-neck and the Raptor pulled the KTM top end. I got a bad start and the Raptor pulled a bike ahead, that was until I got into the powerband. I started to gain quickly on the Raptor and by 3rd I was a 2 bikes in front of him. By 5th gear I was at least 3 bikes in front and I kept pulling. Once again from beginning to end the KTM was faster. So much for what magazines said. The Craptor should have stomped me with 3 mods, but of course it didn't. ANother KTM victory.

Race #3 - (KFX 450) - I saw this guy with this trick looking KFX and went up to him. He had a full exhaust, complete intake, Power Commander fuel module and Hot Cams. He had put =000005543,500 into the performance of his quad and said it was fast. We lined up for a 300' drag, for which KFX's are "supposed" to be good at. We did a few runs and the same results occured. Right from the start I pulled in front and continued to pull until by the end of the drag I was 3 bikes in front of him. No matter what he did he couldn't win. Mind you, my bike is bone stock and this KFX had 4 mods. Needless to say, he was dissapponted with the POS that Kawasaki made and said he was going to get a KTM.

No one can beat the KTM even with three (or four) mods. The top quads need 5 mods in order to be equal with the KTM stock. The KTM's are the best quads EVER and I can't understand why anyone would buy a Japanese piece of s**t. The KTM has a much better engine, suspension, frame, ergonomics and looks than any others. Sure it's a little more money but you can find deals as I only paid 99 for mine which is only about a grand more than the other weak competitors. Katoom!!
im glad youve had that kind of luck with your bike. mine hasnt been that great. my weight is 260. i have a fmf factory 4.1 slip on. jd jetting. my friend has a 07 700 raptor with a fmf slip on and a "programmer". he takes me on the start and usually the mid but i can catch and pass him ont he top. i got spanked by a yfz 450 with a slipon (thats all he said he had on it). this guy constantly ran off and left me. but these were pretty short drags. i guess i suck at racing. obviously huh

·
Registered
153 Posts
why doesnt any one race the yfz or any other 450 against the ktm 450 and not the 525. love the ktm to death, but its kinda obvious whos going to win when the ktm weighs less then the yfz and has another 60cc's,any one agree's with me?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
my YFZ 480 kick the arse out of my KTM............... I'm hoping my new 505SX will match it..........

One thing I've learnt over the years, there is ALWAYS someone other fster than you......... and the more ya crow the bigger the roosting..............

·
Registered
153 Posts
i dont think there's going to be something faster then bronson's 600cc fire breathing black dragon...lol

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
how about a 75 hp 804 raptor wrapped in a full mx spec suspension setup..............

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
ha very funny, i learned long ago there is always something faster... it isn't that fast, ltz470 got to ride it this last weekend out at the dunes. i wonder what he has to say about it?
It would be very hard to beat unless someone has really lightened a comparable quad with the same size engine...even that Raptor 804, I could take him in sand dragging (300 ft) or hill shooting (Olds Hill) without any problems and yes it is on pump gas!!!! That Raptor would require NOS or a Turbo to beat the 600cc Katoom Rocket...
...over rev was awesome...really it had a very linear powerband for the build...I was impressed with the smoothness of the engine and power delivery...
I would change the tires to 21X8-11 8 Paddles Haulers and drop one tooth on the front from where Bronson has it now...Extend the swinger 2 inches...there wasn't anything at Glamis the last time I was there that would touch it except for one Honda 330R and one Banshee running 119 hp and it would be a close encounter of the good kind to line up against them as it depends on the rider...the 2 inch over swinger would really get it through the whoops...also when I was running the 21X8-12 inch 8 Paddles Edges I couldn't keep my stock 525 front end on the ground in 2nd and 3rd gear had no problems with the smaller 20 inch tires as they would spin instead of bite....
Pipe, Jetted, and Degree'd Cam YFZ's don't stand a chance against me riding my Pipe and Jetted 525 drag racing or hill shooting...wait till I get my 12.5:1 570 Kit installed with the custom grind 807 cam and 43mm taper bore carb...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts