KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i have a 505sx and got a problem with the airbox.
when i ride my quad for 15 minutes on the race track then after the race my hole airbox is full of sand. i don´t know where it comes from so my question is do you guy´s have any problems with it ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ya, its pretty common. There are a couple companies working on a filter adapter to accept a honda style filter. Make sure you keep the edges greased up so that sand doesnt go behind the filter. Do you have the sides removed from the box?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the box is standard but i already had sand in the engine because the filter wasn´t mount good so the sand what was in the box got in the engine so maybe there are more people who have the same problem or maybe an solution

(maybe my english is not so well because i am from holland ) :p

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Not a problem Tom you english is fine. Everybody has the same issue. Best thing for now is to make sure that the filter seals against the lid as best as possible use that sealing grease around the edges no matter what! Until there is a new filter style(or intake kit) available for the machine, you just have to make sure it is perfectly sealed on the lid.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Heres a fix. Cut a bigger hole in the bottom so the sand doenst have anywhere to rest! I thought about doing the same thing. In fact Im pretty sure Im gonna do it as soon as I get some time. I was thinking a couple 1 inche holes in the bottom to help keep sand falling out. It always seems to get in there so give it a way to get out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oke that sucks that there is no solution (yet) but i already tape off my seat at the rear fenders but i think the sand is coming from the front so its go's than under the seat and trough the air intake on the back of the filter cap i think. I already asked an advice at my ktm dealer and he also told me to cut some holes in the airbox so i think that's the only solution. Thank's a lot for the quick reply's :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think it´s coming from the front but i don´t want to tape off everthing because than he doesn´t get enough air. than the only solution is change a lot of filters and putt them correctly on it so you don´t get any sand in the engine

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ya I was going to do the holes for sure. But I will have an honda style filter right off the bat also.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also have this problem, I just use a ton of grease on the sealing surface. I think I'll cut the holes in the bottom though as well. Also one time I rode a track that had some puddles, not really very much, and after i came off the track i checked the filter and it was soaked cause water got in the airbox then it just splashed around everywhere cause it had no way of getting out. For now i removed the plug on the bottom of the box, but it doesnt really help much.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ya I was going to do the holes for sure. But I will have an honda style filter right off the bat also.
And how do you plan on doing that mr.mulveyburger??? The honda style filter that is?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I do a lot of sand riding. I cut a hole in the very bottom corner of the air box 12 months ago and it works well. The sand doesn't stay in the air box long enough the get to the filter.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just sent an email to FCI and we will see if they plan to make an intake. They have two models usually, one with and one without an airbox. Im interested to see if they are going to produce an intake for the new ktms

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Get some really coarse foam and put it in the path where air can get into the airbox. Might keep some of it out and still let most of the air in. We have to do this to our work truck in the winter to keep the snow from plugging the air filters.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
And how do you plan on doing that mr.mulveyburger??? The honda style filter that is?

I have that predator intake and I was going to extend it to fit. 400ex filter should do the job nicely I hope.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I just modded my box. Ill post pics soon.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ill post some tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts