KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a weekend at coosbay dunes. When we got up there my ktm had a dead battery. Upon further inspection I found that the battery cable was lose on the battery. While I was fixing that I noticed something that really chaped my hide, the air intake tube that attaches to the back of the carb was not really on the carb. the clamp was not tight. At that time I only had around 4-5 hours on the machine and there was already a little sand in the carb from our trip to the impierial dunes at newyears. This tells me that the tube may have never even been properly installed right from the start. So check everything on your quad before riding it because the mechanic at your local dealer might not love your quad like it was his own. I also checked the shifter bolt after I read here that they were coming lose. yep it was lose. I love the quad but before I ride it again I'm tightening every bolt on that sucker.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know this isn't any consolation BUT several LTR motors were lost because of the same thing...loose bolts on the intake tubes...I guess you can't take anything for granted anymore huh?...

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Same happened on several Polaris RZR's...engine flexed under load and pulled the air inlet boot off sucking the engine full of dust, sand, etc...I checked mine several times after hard riding....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Same happened on several Polaris RZR's...engine flexed under load and pulled the air inlet boot off sucking the engine full of dust, sand, etc...I checked mine several times after hard riding....
That must be really common on the RZR's, my friend and co-worker had the loose filter problem and he ended up having a new topend installed on his after 10 hours of run time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just got back from a weekend at coosbay dunes. When we got up there my ktm had a dead battery. Upon further inspection I found that the battery cable was lose on the battery. While I was fixing that I noticed something that really chaped my hide, the air intake tube that attaches to the back of the carb was not really on the carb. the clamp was not tight. At that time I only had around 4-5 hours on the machine and there was already a little sand in the carb from our trip to the impierial dunes at newyears. This tells me that the tube may have never even been properly installed right from the start. So check everything on your quad before riding it because the mechanic at your local dealer might not love your quad like it was his own. I also checked the shifter bolt after I read here that they were coming lose. yep it was lose. I love the quad but before I ride it again I'm tightening every bolt on that sucker.
The airboot may have been loose from the factory, but you also have to be careful when lifting it to clean the filter. In the manual it says to bend the airboot when working on it, making sure not to pull it off the carb. It is an ingenious design but it does have this potential problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the support. I took it in to the dealer yesterday and had them change the oil and clean the carb. After I explained to them that the hose clamp that holds the tube on had about a half inch of untightened gap on it. they said it sounded like it had been put on but never originally tightened. They apologized for this and did the service work at no charge. They had it done about 4 hours later, so I tiped the service crew and bought a new gear bag and an extra air filter (every body gets somthing, every body stays happy.) If you live in the northern california area, lost coast motorsports is a great dealership (ktm, yamaha, suzuki. Large invintory of dirt and street parts and apperal) They have a 450 and a 525 in stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts