KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I´d mounted the 8" rims on my Xc to try how it felt, it was much more stable in the corners and it felt really good. But, when i´d took a hard landing and even when it just was bumpy the skid plate took the ground.

Anyone that know hove to solve that problem ?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Depends on what size tires you are running.
I have 18" tires on 8" rims. The bike is about 1 1/2" lower to the ground.
I have adjusted my shocks to suit this type of riding, but still bottom out occasionally.
One way to stop the skid plate hitting the ground on uneven surfaces is to go back to a 20" tire. This will give you more clearance under the skid plate, but will also make the bike higher again.
If you are talking about the skid plate under the motor, try turning the compression dials on top of both front and rear shocks in 2 - 3 clicks. this will slow the shock travel on the up stroke & not let the bike bottom out as quick.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on what size tires you are running.
I have 18" tires on 8" rims. The bike is about 1 1/2" lower to the ground.
I have adjusted my shocks to suit this type of riding, but still bottom out occasionally.
One way to stop the skid plate hitting the ground on uneven surfaces is to go back to a 20" tire. This will give you more clearance under the skid plate, but will also make the bike higher again.
If you are talking about the skid plate under the motor, try turning the compression dials on top of both front and rear shocks in 2 - 3 clicks. this will slow the shock travel on the up stroke & not let the bike bottom out as quick.
Hope this helps.
Oh, yes i have the 18" tires. How did you adjust your shocks ?
But, if I go back to the 20" tires on 8" rims so are the profile on the tires going to be higher than the original. And I felt it unstable with the original in the corners.
And no, its the Skid plate under the brake disc that i mean.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
If it is the skid plate on the swing arm you are hitting, then yes, you will need to go back to 20" tires to lift the axle higher off the ground.
You can then look at lowering the quad using the shocks.
This will bring the bike down for a lower C of G and give you the better handling you have found by going to smaller tires, but keep good clearance under your swing arm.
The best person to speak to is Rocket Ron on this forum. He can do anything with the shocks to suit your needs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is the skid plate on the swing arm you are hitting, then yes, you will need to go back to 20" tires to lift the axle higher off the ground.
You can then look at lowering the quad using the shocks.
This will bring the bike down for a lower C of G and give you the better handling you have found by going to smaller tires, but keep good clearance under your swing arm.
The best person to speak to is Rocket Ron on this forum. He can do anything with the shocks to suit your needs.
OKey, thanks.
But i wonder how they have solved it on the Sx ?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
the swing arm is different on the SX. not sur eif it's the same disc, a smaller diamater disc would help (if you then have a custom snug fitting skid plate)

I occasionally bottom out the stock skid plate with 18"-8s on, it sure gets your attention !!

I have the axle carrier spun around to lower the rear which places the skid plate lower in relation to the axle, a new skid which snugs up under the disc would be good, one of the Xc guys does a SS one ?? 19" holsehots would be a good compromise tire, turf's are really to low in profile.

we added a set of RMATV billet rear spacers and run the 19" holeshots, this has been a good all round setup.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the swing arm is different on the SX. not sur eif it's the same disc, a smaller diamater disc would help (if you then have a custom snug fitting skid plate)

I occasionally bottom out the stock skid plate with 18"-8s on, it sure gets your attention !!

I have the axle carrier spun around to lower the rear which places the skid plate lower in relation to the axle, a new skid which snugs up under the disc would be good, one of the Xc guys does a SS one ?? 19" holsehots would be a good compromise tire, turf's are really to low in profile.

we added a set of RMATV billet rear spacers and run the 19" holeshots, this has been a good all round setup.
Yes it´s diffrent, but the only thing they have changed is the lower mounting for the suspension becuse the suspesion is shorter ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts