KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the hole on the right side of the engine just below where the spark plug goes for? I always thought it was just a passage to keep water from pooling up around the spark plug? However, tonight I noticed what looked to be a line of oil coming from it. It was dark when I get back to the house so I did not get a chance to really inspect what it was.

This was the first time I have ridden in a week. Last weekend we had a race on Saturday and did a thorough wash the next day and put it up.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Just a drain hole. If it is oil, make sure ur plug is tight

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
it could have leaked from the head cap. however, it is most likely just dirt and water. especially if it is just a bit of it i wouldnt worry about it at all unless it keeps doing it, in which case it probably is oil. if plug is loose it would be gas.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tomorrow I will snap a picture of it, smell it, clean the entire side of the cylidner with brake cleaner, check plug, and then wait to see if it comes back. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Tomorrow I will snap a picture of it, smell it, clean the entire side of the cylidner with brake cleaner, check plug, and then wait to see if it comes back. Thanks for the help.
Hey bud just wanted to let ya know that, that is a drain hole for plug. Though what I really am concerned about is if ya do not blow air backwards through that hole before ya pull your plug ya will be dropping debris into cylinder. Just an FYI to a fellow KTM owner. Good luck and hopefully ya have no other developing issues.:eek::cool:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey bud just wanted to let ya know that, that is a drain hole for plug. Though what I really am concerned about is if ya do not blow air backwards through that hole before ya pull your plug ya will be dropping debris into cylinder. Just an FYI to a fellow KTM owner. Good luck and hopefully ya have no other developing issues.:eek::cool:
Thanks for the heads up. I figured it was a hole to drain the spark plug area....this is the first time in almost 2 years of owning these KTMs that I have seen this so it alarmed me.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Rim
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Rim Auto part Automotive tire
Tints and shades Personal protective equipment Close-up Metal Auto part
Spark plug Household hardware Wood Fastener Screw
Household hardware Spark plug Wood Gas Fastener
I cleaned it all out with brake cleaner and compressed air. Went ahead and put a new plug in while I was there. I will wait and see if it comes back. These pictures were taken after it sat over night untouched. It had no smell to it but was still wet this morning.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
i'd say your top rocker cover is weaping oil from some where around the spark plug area, possibly one of the bolts up on top..... worth popping the tank and having a look see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.