KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering which one has more all around speed because my buddy from school thinks the LTR is faster?

·
Registered
281 Posts
sorry to your buddy...ive owned both. the ltr is great overall, but the 525 motor will pull harder stock for stock. bit more top speed in the ktm as well assuming the gearing is stock as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i had 2 ltr and now i have a ktm 450 sx..................night and day difference
the ktm is better in all aspects,but i must admit the ltr is a great quad and i still miss the fuel injection

with stock gearing/motor you should beat with no problem the ltr

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
1 problem you have is you are asking this on a ktm forum. I'm sure if you ask this on a ltr forum they would say the ktm is too expensive, too unreliable........ Etc. I have no doubt the ktm is better but I'm also biased. I will say though that there are probably very few people on the ltr forum who have previously owned a ktm, there are however probably dozens of users here who have past experience of owning the suzuki.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good point Sticko. In summary, I miss my LTR alot. Great ergo's, very good handling and decent suspension, very good quality, and a peppy motor....peppy until you ride a KTM and then you realize you need more than a pipe/program/CRBM/airbox mod to keep up. The KTM motors and chassis reactions are really that good, and that's why they cost more stock.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I sold my ltr this past summer to buy a ktm, it was stock internally with full fmf exhaust, air filter & tuner. my 450 xc with slip on & jetted( but way rich on the top end) would without a doubt beat the ltr. made same power on the dyno 41-42, but ktm curve was much flatter, very broad. also seems to rev much quicker. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You know what I like about this forum and Ktm owners? No onr is trash talking on other quads saying they are big piles of s*** etc. Go to a kawasaki or Suzuki forum once they will tell you all about why Ktm, yamaha or whatever is complete garbage and they all have some kind of made up b.s story to follow.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You know what I like about this forum and Ktm owners? No onr is trash talking on other quads saying they are big piles of s*** etc. Go to a kawasaki or Suzuki forum once they will tell you all about why Ktm, yamaha or whatever is complete garbage and they all have some kind of made up b.s story to follow.
That's why I like this site and forum. People are civil here, little to no trash talking and people are really willing to help w/o making you feel like a dumba$$. I sure do appreciate that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a ltr before my 525xc, I really liked the ltr, but i like the ktm more. Feels more "complete" and the reverse gear is gold worth in tight trails.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain. I owned a 525XC and now own an LTR and love it. The KTM wasn't a bad quad, it's just that the LTR fits my needs better. The handling alone made me switch. In a short rolling drag race, the KTM (slip on, bored carb) and LTR (Cherry Bomb, lid and plug pulled) were dead even.

My dream combo is to put an RFS in an LTR chassis (I've looked into it and it's too much work for what I'd gain). The LTR motor is great stock, but the RFS has so much grunt.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
im with you on this Nick, LTR is definitely the better handling unit out of the box compared to the XC and maybe even the SX in stock form (lets face it the SX stock shock setup sucks... the 09 ltr stock is miles better). LTR's has been by far the most reliable quads I have owned. Our LTR 493 goes really well.....

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had owned and raced the ltr in mx trim for 3yrs and at the time thought it was the best quad available, although it did have a few downfalls looking back at it now since I've owned the Ktm sx. For one removing the engine from the Ktm is so much easier than the ltr, the cable clutch and soft gear box selector..

·
Registered
244 Posts
i had the ltz 400,2 ltr 450,one raptor 700 and now i own one ktm 450 sx and one yfz 450 2006 model
the best overall quad is the ltr:for the money invested,power and handling is pretty good(a little bit heavy.............but a good quad),but if you have the money and are willing to spend it to buy a ktm,belive me is the best choice out there
the only down side on the ktm is the price an you have to be careful with the maintenance............on the ltr and yfz you can(let's say)neglect a little bit the maintenance program

in our gang we have from ltr,ltz,raptor,yfz pretty much everething(will also have a ds 450 in the near future).................and some ktm's.............kmt are the superstars,expensive like all superstars,but for sure superstars

ps:as long as i have the current income will not trade my ktm for nothing,but if God forbid i will lose this income for sure my next quad will be a ltr 450

·
Registered
244 Posts
in our gang we have from ltr,ltz,raptor,yfz pretty much everething(will also have a ds 450 in the near future).................and some ktm's.............kmt are the superstars,expensive like all superstars,but for sure superstars

ps:as long as i have the current income will not trade my ktm for nothing,but if God forbid i will lose this income for sure my next quad will be a ltr 450
don't want to steal this thread............
don't get me wrong,the difference between the quads is not so big(for me,medium skilled rider)but when i tried the ktm i was amazed by the feeling of the clutch,the powerful brakes and the handling of the hole quad...................the motor was good,but the 3 strong points of the ktm are for sure(imho):
1)clutching
2)brakes(the front ones are a dream)
3)the feeling of the bike.................i have the feeling like the bike is "listening" to me,it does what i want it to............it sound crazy but that is how good this quad is
designed

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a KTM 505sx, 525xc, and an LTR 450. As much as I love my LTR, I'd have to say the 505 wins in most categories. My comments are based on a mostly stock 505 (it's got an FMF slip on) and a lightly modded LTR (Yosh exhaust, K&N filter, Hotcam exhaust cam). The 505 is a lighter and simpler machine to work on. The LTR is pretty heavy and has a lot of plastic to unbutton every time. The 505 motor is a lot more violent (in the good sense) and accelerates harder than the LTR, even though the 505 is pretty much stock and the LTR is modded. The 505's breaks are better. The only area the Suzuki comes close is in the handling department. The 505 holds a line better--almost like it is on rails--but the 450 drifts better. The LTR responds to butt steer better, so when you want the rear to come around you just apply pressure to the seat and it points where you want to go. In the area of stock suspension, the front shocks on the KTM are better whereas the rear may be a tie. I have an 06 LTR and off the show room floor they were way too stiff. In later years they softened them up. In the end I love all my machines. Each one has its charms and I like them because they are so different. Riding the same machine week in and week out gets a little dull.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts