KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a great deal today at a local dealer for a 08' 525xc or at least I think it is. The price is $8400 OTD. They also have the 505sx for about $11,000 OTD. I have not tried to work much of a deal on the 505 but that is the bottom line on the 525. My question is would it be worth going with the 525 for the price or get the 505? Also what are the advantages of getting the 505? The dealer said for duning I would want the 525, but he also really wants to get rid of his 08' to he said.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Hi there and welcome to KTMATVHQ.com :)
I can see some 08's 525XC going around for $7500 at some dealers. Don't you have some more dealers in your area? try to talk that price down...
If you could get it even for $8000, that's $3000 less than that 505SX and you could use this money to make the 525 a killer quad.
But this also depends on where you're going to ride it..

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
For duning I would save the 525. The 505 is a lot more peaky engine where as the 525 has really good low down torque.
I find my 525 great in the dunes.
For the saving you could widen the front, put a pipe on it and get a good set of paddles!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I found a great deal today at a local dealer for a 08' 525xc or at least I think it is. The price is 00 OTD. They also have the 505sx for about ,000 OTD. I have not tried to work much of a deal on the 505 but that is the bottom line on the 525. My question is would it be worth going with the 525 for the price or get the 505? Also what are the advantages of getting the 505? The dealer said for duning I would want the 525, but he also really wants to get rid of his 08' to he said.

My local dealer will sell there 08 525s for 6900. Your paying to much. Not only that but several peeps have paid as low as 5900 this month. Id go somewhere else or go and get him to drop the price. Straight up I guarantee he will go down atleast 1k.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
a modded 525 would be a great all round rig

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local dealer will sell there 08 525s for 6900. Your paying to much. Not only that but several peeps have paid as low as 5900 this month. Id go somewhere else or go and get him to drop the price. Straight up I guarantee he will go down atleast 1k.
Driver with you having experience with both what would you buy if you can afford either one? I know you got your 505 not too long ago so I think that must be your preference?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Driver with you having experience with both what would you buy if you can afford either one? I know you got your 505 not too long ago so I think that must be your preference?
For a duner drag racer Id say 525. For mx, no doubt the 505. Would I do a 525 over the 505. NO Way. I mx and this machine is built for it. I think the 525 for sure has the potential for more power in the dunes and on the drag strip. If I was gonna build a motor for racing at the duned id go get a 525. Plus you can get them for cheap now. 7k and then put 2.5k into the motor and you have 60whp. 42ftlbs. If you want a little more width go with 3 2 offset wheels and you will be at 48.5-49 inches. Fine for duning.

Good luck.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If I had my choice I'd have the SX with the XC motor, lets face it both are killer quads, XC can go to 613CC with KTM parts, and 692CC with aftermarket parts, with the SX you get 51HP right out of the box, add cam/cams, port work, and compression you got 60hp, 356 pound MX rocket, both quads will pull hard, I think I want both!!!

If you have the money for either quad here is what I'd do, buy the XC tell the dealer you want the SX front A arms, the SX tire and wheels and the 540CC kit with the 806 (for MXing) or the 807 cam (for duning/desert), and the steering dampner all parts installed by them and you take the stock parts home with you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help! I can not decide cause I love the look of the sx but like ranchero said I could always get some parts off the sx to make it look more like I want it to for a lot less money. One more question does the sx ride more like a ltr and the xc more like a raptor. I have ridden the xc and they feel like they sit higher like a raptor. I have a ltr now and love the feel of that. On raptors I feel like I could roll at any time.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Thanks for all the help! I can not decide cause I love the look of the sx but like ranchero said I could always get some parts off the sx to make it look more like I want it to for a lot less money. One more question does the sx ride more like a ltr and the xc more like a raptor. I have ridden the xc and they feel like they sit higher like a raptor. I have a ltr now and love the feel of that. On raptors I feel like I could roll at any time.
The XC although sits higher than the SX, has nothing to do with the Raptor. Height is not the only thing in play here: suspension, inercia etc You can see here how easy a Raptor rolls

The SX handles better than LTR because it's as wide but better shocks, less weight and better mass distribution.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The XC only feels higher because KTM shaved the seat on the SX models to achieve a lower center of gravity (with the rider mounted that is) and to allow better movement around the seat in corners and such. Either way, I feel the KTM's are far more comfortable than LTR's and feel more like a Honda where you are a part of the quad, and not just sitting on top of it.

Honestly, be serious with yourself and what you will be using the quad for. I agree, the SX looks a little meaner (mostly due to the hood in my opinion) but looks don't mean a whole lot. The SX is a purpose-built MX'er that should only be used on the track, maybe with some dunes as well. Trust me from experience, it does not like being on trails. The engine is too rev-happy and doesn't like holding gears. It wants to be revved quick, shifted, ridden hard, etc. These are not ideal characteristics of a trail quad or GNCC/XC racer. I raced my SX in a Grand Prix race a couple of weeks back (half MX, half desert) and beat the crap out of myself. If you plan on trail riding, racing desert, or whatever, the suspension and engine on the XC is far more appropriate. Torque and a more plush setup are what you want here. I think the XC would make a better duner as well since you could run it a gear high and still have the power to pull a hill. Plus, for the ~$3k you'd be saving, you could do some engine work and have a real hill shooter or trail monster, and have some money leftover to revalve the shocks (if need be) and put SX a-arms on it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Have Ron do those revalves and you wont be gettin beat up anymore!!! ;) Helps a shattt ton.

·
Registered
242 Posts
which motor will be more reliable over time with the mods? 525 or 505? I have the xc now set up for mx, but have been thinking about selling and going to sx, or put the money into the 525 motor instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
also what approx. HP numbers could you expect out of both motors fully built? will the sx a-arms bolt right on the sx? what about the axle? does the xc come with 4-1 offset front wheels? thanks!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts