KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 450 and put the 525 jug and piston in it. The 450 would start no problem, not the 525 takes a bunch of cranks to start. I have a JD jet kit installed. Red needle 4th clip from top, 45 pilot, even tried the 40 and 48 pilot with no luck.

I raced a XC race this weekend and it ran great, a little noisey i thought, but it did start hard. Any help on this would be great. Im looking to get it so it fires just by touching the button.

Is its possibe the timing is off? Im 99% sure it was done right.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 130 amp battery

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I had a 450 and put the 525 jug and piston in it. The 450 would start no problem, not the 525 takes a bunch of cranks to start. I have a JD jet kit installed. Red needle 4th clip from top, 45 pilot, even tried the 40 and 48 pilot with no luck.

I raced a XC race this weekend and it ran great, a little noisey i thought, but it did start hard. Any help on this would be great. Im looking to get it so it fires just by touching the button.

Is its possibe the timing is off? Im 99% sure it was done right.

timing is fine. as long as you aligned the two dots with the side of the head and the cam lobes were pointing down you are good to go. i would be willing to bet that it is your valves. dont just check them, loosen them and re-adjust them completely...

here is mine starting right after the 540 was first installed... it starts very quick with the stock battery.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
timing is fine. as long as you aligned the two dots with the side of the head and the cam lobes were pointing down you are good to go. i would be willing to bet that it is your valves. dont just check them, loosen them and re-adjust them completely...

here is mine starting right after the 540 was first installed... it starts very quick with the stock battery.
OK, ill give it a shot, thanks.

To loosen the valves, do i just crack the locknut and turn the screw head a few times, then tighten it back up and set them?

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
OK, ill give it a shot, thanks.

To loosen the valves, do i just crack the locknut and turn the screw head a few times, then tighten it back up and set them?
yeah, just loosen nut and adjust screw until you see daylight. insert feeler guage and tighten screw back up until lightly seated or snug, then lock it down with the nut.

super easy, by far the easiest 4-stroke valves to adjust in my humble opionion...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts