KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to buy a ktm and was going to buy a 505sx but after reading a few threads about both machines i am confused on which one would be a better candidate for a good dune build that will hold its own on the hill too. i was planning on buying a 505sx next year so i could get the year end clearance sale but i could get the 525xc for that price right now. any info would be great. thanks!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
For dune riding I would go for the 525 (or 450 if you are going big bore)and build it to a lightened 600 or 613. That would be good for about 65 HP on pump gas. If you are just going to drag it you can get it up to almost a 700 and 75 or 80 HP plus a little shot of nitrous you could be right near 100 with a good crank and rod. Plus the reverse is a real nice thing to have. The RFS motors make better torque also.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I had the 525 and it was nice in the dunes. Then I installed the factory 540 kit with the 8/06 cam, and head work. It was absolutely by far the nicest "I" had ever riden in the dunes. It had gobs of torque plenty of hp and would pull the hills like a mad man. I would still get out run by some of the highly modded 450's and 700's. Now I'm having the engine built to a 600cc by Thumper Racing with the lightened balanced crank shaft, 8/07 cam, head work, and he is also boring the carb to 43mm. When it is finished it will be putting out torque #'s somewhere in the 50's and hp in the 60's. So it should be a screamer when it is finished. Some of the people on here are getting their 505's built to dyno in at 60hp but there torque #'s are still in the mid to upper 30's I believe. With that being said the stock 505 will rev farther and faster than the stock 525 with a about 7 more hp but about the same amount of torque. The 505 is limited to minor builds like higher compression pistons, after market cams, and head work. So the question is how much do you want to mod the quad. RFS is much easier to mod and the #'s you can get are pretty amazing. Stock for stock I think the 505 would be hard for anything out there to beat. But once you start moding the engines, well, so far the 505 is very limited. There is no replacement for displacement. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

Brian

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had the 525 and it was nice in the dunes. Then I installed the factory 540 kit with the 8/06 cam, and head work. It was absolutely by far the nicest "I" had ever riden in the dunes. It had gobs of torque plenty of hp and would pull the hills like a mad man. I would still get out run by some of the highly modded 450's and 700's. Now I'm having the engine built to a 600cc by Thumper Racing with the lightened balanced crank shaft, 8/07 cam, head work, and he is also boring the carb to 43mm. When it is finished it will be putting out torque #'s somewhere in the 50's and hp in the 60's. So it should be a screamer when it is finished. Some of the people on here are getting their 505's built to dyno in at 60hp but there torque #'s are still in the mid to upper 30's I believe. With that being said the stock 505 will rev farther and faster than the stock 525 with a about 7 more hp but about the same amount of torque. The 505 is limited to minor builds like higher compression pistons, after market cams, and head work. So the question is how much do you want to mod the quad. RFS is much easier to mod and the #'s you can get are pretty amazing. Stock for stock I think the 505 would be hard for anything out there to beat. But once you start moding the engines, well, so far the 505 is very limited. There is no replacement for displacement. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

Brian
I have a 525 xc and keep seeing references to the 8/06 cam. I'm thinking about upgrading my engine but am wondering what this refers to? Is this cam available from KTM, webcam, what? What is the difference between the 8/06 and 8/07 cam? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Both are KTM cams. 806 is all around cam that works well with stock bore or the 540 kit. 807 is slightly more top end and works good with 570 and up kits. That is what I have gathered.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i love the stance of the sx.. so my next question is do the sx a-arms and axle bolt on the xc? thanks!!
I put the sx a-arms on my xc525 with the ohlins shocks and run the spacers on the inside of the hubs on the axle.front is 50" and super plush.Cornering and stability is way better than the xc arms.I haven't ridden the 505 yet but in my opinion the 525's bottom and mid was awesome in the sand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put the sx a-arms on my xc525 with the ohlins shocks and run the spacers on the inside of the hubs on the axle.front is 50" and super plush.Cornering and stability is way better than the xc arms.I haven't ridden the 505 yet but in my opinion the 525's bottom and mid was awesome in the sand.

where did you get your sx arms and how much did those run you? so the axle can just have the spacers rearranged? what did this put your rear width at? thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts