KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 505SX for a few years now with the FMF slip on--the black one that came with the deal. Now I'm thinking about getting the FMF power bomb header to get a little more performance. Does anyone know if it is actually an improvement over the stock header? I've read through the various threads, e.g., pipe shootout, etc., but I'm not seeing a definitive answer on this question. I was thinking about going with a full DASA system but unfortunately they don't make the header anymore. Plus I don't want a system that is too loud, which the DASA may be. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Did you make a decision? I wish I could help but I have not ran an FMF header on mine. I have the powerbomb on my 400ex and like it but that is a gutless 400. What about the HMF? They seem to be solid on paper and in what few reviews are out there for the KTM’s. It sucks that there are not many choices left. I really like Bills stepped header but it won’t work with your can.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I wouldn’t get a dasa at all. I have had 2 types of dasa full systems, ktm bill, motoworks, fmf megabomb, big gun, stock head pipe with fmf muffler, and a custom terry designs exhaust. All full systems.

For racing I would say ktmbill all the way, but for trails, desert, and occasional motocross I would say fmf.

Dasa’s are decent at first, but fall apart rather quickly. Pipes get loose and rattle. My quad was used to design the first dasa pipe. I live local. First full system had terrible figment issues and rattled apart. I also got the second edition, fitment was better, but had smaller steps in the headpipe and also rattled apart.

My bike was also used to design the big gun exhaust and the fuel customs intake.

What I don’t like about ktmbill is the spark arrestor for trails. It looks like the grill on a GMC Denali. I don’t trust it. And I once had a bolt that holds the muffler to the subframe break off in the desert and let my muffler go flying. But overall great pipe for racing and serious motocross. Fit was also perfect.

The fmf has rubber mounts and the spark arrestor is perfect. Power is good and fit is solid as they come.

So depends on what u are looking to do with the quad. Racing=ktmbill, trails and all around=FMF

My 2 cents

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Same muffler with a ktm hardparts fmf 4.1 rct replacement sticker, small trimming required

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go with the FMF header. I'm not necessarily looking for the system that produces "the most" horsepower; price, fitment, and sound are also important to me. I just know aftermarket parts are getting harder and harder to find and I want to get a full system before they are no longer available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you dont care about noise go with the dasa full system. Made the most power dynoed out of any exhuast and the fmf was the lowest making power one.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got the fmf power bomb header so I thought I would report back. I'm definitely feeling the performance gains over the stock header. The engine is more punchy off the bottom, and revs out more on top. There also seems to be less engine braking. When I get off the throttle it doesn't slow down as quickly. The fit and finish is also excellent. Here are some pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts