KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a deposit down on a 505 sx and expect to see it in a couple months. I'm reading that the stock horsepower numbers are around 53 and I'm wondering if I should believe it? Can any proud owner confirm this? I'm not necessarily looking for dyno numbers, although that would be nice, I'm just looking for someone with seat time. I have a 525 xc and believe it made 43 hp in stock trim. 10 more horsepower would be pretty incredible for a stock machine.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just put a deposit down on a 505 sx and expect to see it in a couple months. I'm reading that the stock horsepower numbers are around 53 and I'm wondering if I should believe it? Can any proud owner confirm this? I'm not necessarily looking for dyno numbers, although that would be nice, I'm just looking for someone with seat time. I have a 525 xc and believe it made 43 hp in stock trim. 10 more horsepower would be pretty incredible for a stock machine.

i would definetly say at least 51 hp.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
its certainly near there

·
Registered
85 Posts
its certainly near there
Thats what I have heard, 51-52 HP. I also heard from some of the factory guys that the 505 has about 0.8 more HP than the 450. They said the biggest difference is where the power is, IE more power in the low end on the 505.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i would imagine the 505 has a bit more then .8 hp over the 450. its like 28cc's more? im hoping with a jet kit and exhaust the 450 will be into the 50's...

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
the 52 - 53 matches the "feel" compared to my YFZ480 @ 58hp

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Well, John Maley, KTM ATV Technician says in the SX walkthrough that both motors come over at 50hp in stock trim.
We know these motors come from the 2 wheels and you can see the power they make:
450 SX-F - 59hp @ engine
505 SX-F - 63hp @ engine

The motors are basicly the same in the quads though, were a little beefed up. But indeed, they are in the 50hp @ wheels stock...crazy! :D

Also, Shane Hitt (who doesn't need introductions...) says this engines rev as high as 12'000rpm :p

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
59 / 65 are at the crank or possible the front sprocket.

the SX revs out hard thats for sure, where as the XC goes flat.....

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
So, it's a win-win situation for KTM. They made a quad that it's not only the most powerful in the market but also the lightest. So at start, you know it's gonna be the fastest ;)

The 505 has 5.7lbs/hp (2.6Kg/hp) ratio and that shows that it's meant to go fast!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We just need to convince Jake to take it to Dasa and get a baseline and tune. He literally lives 10min from dasa. LOL Just suck it up and go bro. Its for the benefit of the community. The second I get my hands on one its going to the dyno. OH yeah.

·
Registered
568 Posts
maybe next week. i'll give them a call. and set up an appointment.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
A dyno of the 505SX would be great. I only have a dyno of the 505 2 wheels around here and shows more than 50hp @ wheels...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Anthony you still doing the dyno on the pipes next week?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts