KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be putting together a 505 for the first time tonight. A friend had sand get by his air filter and "dusted" the top end. The dealership took it apart and was going to waranty it but said KTM denied it due to poor maintance. Any way I'm geting it in pieces to try to put new cyl., piston,
and head on for him and reassemble from a box of parts. I'm a Ford mechanic and do alot of work on bikes and quads on the side, but this could get complicated. I understand about the crank pin @TDC and the cam holder (the dealer is letting me borrow), not real sure on timing the water pump/balancer. Anything else that needs to be addressed, please let me know.

Thanks,
J.R.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I will be putting together a 505 for the first time tonight. A friend had sand get by his air filter and "dusted" the top end. The dealership took it apart and was going to waranty it but said KTM denied it due to poor maintance. Any way I'm geting it in pieces to try to put new cyl., piston,
and head on for him and reassemble from a box of parts. I'm a Ford mechanic and do alot of work on bikes and quads on the side, but this could get complicated. I understand about the crank pin @TDC and the cam holder (the dealer is letting me borrow), not real sure on timing the water pump/balancer. Anything else that needs to be addressed, please let me know.

Thanks,
J.R.

it's a pin lock like the crank pin. Take the the black allen screw out of the side by the water pump. I made a pin from a bolt cut the head off machine the bolt to 5mm,s so it will slide beween the teeth and screw in the case. Kept it in the case and remove after you install it back on.
Bill

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the cylinder and clutch cover back on last night, very straight forward after taking a closer look at all the parts. I have a few bolts missing and 1 extra washer that shoud fit about a 10mm bolt, looks like a sealing washer, similar to the 4 head nut washers. Unable to install the head due to the valves all being too tight and no shims to replace them with. I took it to a machine shop and they are going to machine the shims till the clearances are in spec. I had trouble with the o-ring on the side of the cylinder (it was not in the box of parts), I had one that was close, just couldn't get it to stay in place while I put the over on, finally got it

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a bad motor to work on. Got the head on fri. night after having the shims ground. Timing was confusing at first (because no one marked anything and I'm putting together from a box of parts), made a bar to hold the cams flat and loosened and torqued the cam bolts. Fuel tank was leaking and battery was dead, but the dealer left both outside and we picked up parts after hours. The owner rode Sat and said it ran great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts