KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

450xc mx setup

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  JBeach 
#1 ·
So I picked up my 450xc a couple weeks ago and am looking to convert it to a mx setup. Currently the quad has fmf slip on, ohlins steering damper, flex bars, power MADD hand guards, nerf bars and ktm billet covers for misc items.

My thinking is in this order and please let me know what you think and if I am on the right track.

Send shocks to rocket Ron for overhaul. Purchase ktm bills a arms, dwt mx race in a box wheels and for tires still open to suggestions. Lonestar rear axel or stock sx axel. Sprocket change to 15 front 36 or 37 rear.

As for the motor thumper racing 540 kit 12.5.1 piston, 833 cam, and high flow water pump. Bore carb to at least 41 if not more, port head, pro x rod, ktm bills exhaust and need help on completion of other things.

As far as cosmetics will Powdercoat some parts not sure what yet and still looking for a complete set of white plastics.

What else am I missing? Am I on the right track?

#3 ·
Many reports of good run time with pro x rods. Rpm axle is superior to the lonestar unless you can get the lonestar at alot better price. Remember to let ron know what arms you intend to run the shocks on. That engine is identical to mine and runs very strong and should be good and reliable.

#7 ·
My son has bee running his XC in the motocross recently and I'm think about the things I should do also to make it more motox friendly. He already as the Thumper 540 with 8/33 cams, hi flo water pump. My question is if I were to have the shocks reworked, can they be shortened to allow it to sit lower without losing suspension travel? I assumed one would have to get new shorter shocks. I'm not ready to do the arms just yet.

#8 ·
im also setting my xc up for mx, not for racing but more so my riding preference. i wouldn't lower or shorten the shocks at all for mx. Elka actually has good info on setting up ride height for mx in their owners manuals ---> http://www.elkasuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ELKA-OwnersManual-PowerSports.pdf

really spend some time learning those adjustments because they can make a huge difference with everything including holeshot (keeping front down and power to the ground) the sag setting is
key to mx, so reducing your preload adjusments may be better than shortening your shocks all together

after that width is VERY KEY but stay under the 50" max limit. IMO i think well set up suspension and width is as, if not more important than motor mods for motocross. because if your body gets tired all the power in the world wont win a race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.