KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 450 xc the other day and noticed a bog in lower rpm range. It has a full hmf exhaust and a jd jet kit already installed. The jet kit is running a 180 main with a 45 pilot and the blue needle. I do not know what clip it is running and just wanted a suggestion for what settings I should be running for the carb. I am ridding at sea level-3000ft at 50-80f but occasionally run at 30f. I am also going to double check if the o ring mod has been completed for the accelerator pump whenever I actuall get the chance to look at the carb.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Pull the carb, give it a good cleaning, and see where your needle is. Could be as simple as the pilot circuit is gummed up (lacking fuel) or the needle is set too rich. Do you have the directions for the JD kit? I can't remember if the blue or red needle is richer. Put in whichever one it recommends for your scenario. Oring mod should have been done as part of the jet kit. 180 main seems a little rich to me on the main for a 450 but I'm not sure on that. Again refer to the JD recommendation. I run a 160 main with a Honda HRC needle with my moderately modded 450xc engine at 3000'. HRC needles require lower main jets though since the needle is richer to begin with. The JD kits are ok and I used to run one back when my 525xc was new with a Honda CRF dirt bike accelerator pump diaphragm. I was pretty happy with it at that point but have since switched over to the HRC needle and Ranchero accelerator pump mods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts