KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the Red Bud ATVA National where KTM unvieled the 2009 505 & 450 SX. I will try to convey my impressions as best I can, so feel free to ask questions if I don't mention things you are wondering about. I pretty much hung out all weekend talking with the KTM reps and even got to talk to test and develpment rider Shane Hitt.
I am by no means a test rider or engineer or any thing like that, but have been racing quads on the National level since 1990. I guess I would be called a "quadahollic".
First impressions being lasting impressions I would have to say WOW!!! Its a work of art. Very similar in looks to the XC, with a longer swingarm, a-arms and WP suspension. The tank has been slimmed down and holds just over 2 gallons of fuel. The lower seat and higher stem makes the ergos feel spot on for MX. Plus it has the same adjustability as the XC on the handlebars.
I can't say enough about how cool the KTM people were. They answered every question I had and really went in depth with thier answers, they are really proud of what they have made and I can think of no reason why they shouldnt be.....did I mention WOW!!! Later on Saturday they did a media photo shoot at the Red Bud Supercross Track. I sat on the bleachers and watched as the media test riders put the 505 & 450 through its paces. The riders ranged in abilities from novice racer to pro. The one thing I noticed that was constant with all the riders was the cornering. This thing corners like a dream! The shocks looked like they soaked up big jumps as well as the little stuff. It's hard for me to go more into the suspension without riding it but I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it had anything but very compliant handling characteristics. I watched Shane Hitt clear doubles I would never attempt with ease and I saw the novice guys clear doubles with just a blip of the throttle or a smooth constant throttle. Didn't see any kicking or bucking or rear end "swap".
On Sunday they did a "media" race on a very, very rough Red Bud Track. For those of you that have never been there the soil is sandy with alot of rocks, monster breaking bumps and berms you could lose a small car in. Not to mention an uphill sand whoop section that was giving everyone fits. Once again the SX looked like it could compete with any built 450 on the market right off the showroom floor. I dumped over $18,000 in a Honda and did'nt have rebound or hi/lo speed adjustment on very high dollar shocks. Sure its alot of money, but a real bargain if you are into racing. I would add a steering stabilizer and thats about it.
When I told one of the KTM reps that I had a 505 on order he said they should be shipping them out to dealers in a "couple of weeks". I responded "so I should see it sometime in September?" He said "you should see it in August".
I can hardly contain my excitement! I have built and raced Hondas, Yamahas and Suzukis over the past 19 years and have never seen anything like the KTM without putting another 8-10 grand into them. As I said before these few lines are just my impressions, please excuse my spelling and writing abilities, I am just so excited I wanted to get the word out to all of you that are interested.
Ask away! I will try to respond as well as I can with what I saw and what I was told.
rrbaby87

·
Registered
500 Posts
sorry I didnt get pics or videos.....will post some of mine when I get it.
I can't wait to see a shoot out between the SX's and the XC's!!! I know they are built for different disciplines but I still think it will be interesting to find what people think between the 2.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
It bums me out to find that i didn't wait for the SX, but in all reality it'll be nice to have a back up.. lol...

I think I'm gonna buy an sx if I get rid of my other Honda. Jay

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you want a heaping helping of info. and eye candy on the SX check out atvscene.com. They have a 24 minute video that discusses its features and another video that shows it in action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts