KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2009 505 sx blew up, the cases were damaged the, crank is broke not much can be used. anyone know of a rebuildable motor that's available??

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
FYI don't buy one from a dirt bike. They look very similar, but are different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Which engine would you suggest guys for replacement? I’ve seen so many suggestions on the hybrid forum on Facebook - 2stroke 300CC, LC4, yzf450, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about a Polaris 525 motor from the later models? not as good as a 505 but you’d get reverse and you can build them up pretty easy to make a lot of power.
See them going cheap quite often(compared to the KTMs anyway).
And wouldn’t require fabrication of mounts and who knows what else, unless your into that...if so than o vote 300 2 stroke! Lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a running 505 motor I’m about to pull and swap in a Trx250r motor. Can send video of it running before I pull it if your interested. I’m in Pennsylvania

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
What about a Polaris 525 motor from the later models? not as good as a 505 but you’d get reverse and you can build them up pretty easy to make a lot of power.
See them going cheap quite often(compared to the KTMs anyway).
And wouldn’t require fabrication of mounts and who knows what else, unless your into that...if so than o vote 300 2 stroke! Lol
The 525 motor requires modification to the lower frame mount if putting it in a SX frame. Also make sure it's from the straight axle machines, not the IRS model. Can get a lot of power from the RFS (450/525XC) engine platform, but it's just different. They'll never have the top end overrev that the SX engines have.

If I ever do an engine swap it will be with the new generation FI 450 SXF motor or a 300 SX spec two stroke. Performance being 1st priority.

Reactions: Grapride
1 - 9 of 9 Posts