KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

09 450sx gas tank issue

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Erwinktm 
#1 ·
Hi, just bout a 450sx and I ordered a new one gas tank through Motorsport. I have received damaged tanks. KTM told them is was normal it's got scuffs and hole around the tank. Plus all 3 tanks I have received I am not able to remove the gas tank. This is what they told me.

"Yeah, it's fine. Tell him he can run it.
Those are just casting bubbles. The other tanks looked worse."

You should be fine on mounting the tank and running it.

If you have any questions or leaks let us know.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That sucks. What can you do other than try to get your money back from Motorsport? Then you are out a tank. They have already taken the issue to KTM and it sounds like they won't do anything unless the tank leaks.

I said it a long time ago, KTM is trying to wash their hands of "in their minds" a failed ATV run. It really sucks because for the most part all of their ATV customers know that they built the best quads of the showroom floor and love their "scooters" and would come back if they released new models.

Anyways, back to the problem at hand. I say run the tank. The scuffs in your last pic won't even be visible and don't focus your attention on the casting bubbles in the first two pics. Maybe you can wet sand them down some with a real fine sand paper. Other than that, you can get your money back and buy an IMS tank, which are better because the inserts won't spin. Even with your new tank, you will eventually have a problem with the spinning inserts.

KTM is most likely not manufacturing any new tanks and are probably just keeping in stock whatever inventory they have on hand until they are sold out and gone. 2017 will be the 10 year anniversary of when the XC's rolled into dealer floors in the U.S. We only had new models here for two years. So once again, it's been 10 years now and all of their focus is on the 2 wheeled MC market, which they are the worldwide leader now.

#3 ·
Pretty sure one or two of our OEM tanks look like that in spots. The type of plastic/casting techniques they used just didn't finish out that nice on the edges.

#4 ·
I just called for a refund and they will give me a full refund. Where can I get and IMS tank? Do they make aftermarket for the 09 450sx model? Even if I decided to keep the tank and modify it a little I can just do that with my old tank. All three tanks they shipped have the gas cap completely tight I can't even remove it.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.