KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALright guys, so I'm dealing with a start up issue here. Mind you, I just had the quad running about 5 days ago, but this quad has never been ridden, just started a couple times.

So, basically I just had my race top end install a couple weeks ago, and it started right up after them installing it for me. I am thinking that I have a jetting issue, but I'm not sure..

I have good spark....
The fuel is on and going to the carb just fine

Now here is my jetting on an FCR carb from a Honda actually that is taperboed to 43 mm...

48 pilot
JD JEtting blue needle 3rd clip down
190 main
1.75 turns out on the fuel screw

DO you think my pilot is too rich?

THanks, Jay

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
did you have it running with that carb on ??? check the tps etc ???

rich or not on idle it should start, what happens if you pump the throttle several times ?? (lotsa gas ??)

try a bit of WD 40 down the plug hole, new rings etc might just need a helping hand get comp up (seen this on the odd Yamaha with a new top end)....... for intial run in.

New plug ???

·
Registered
430 Posts
Check the tps sensor on the carb, i know if it gets outta adjustment just a little bit, the bike wont start. I had that problem on my 08 450xc.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Checking the TPS is probably a good step. Regardless of what the issue is, a 48 pilot still seems too large to me. As you are aware, 41mm FCR's run a 42 and I've noticed a lot of people on here bump it to a 45, but I'm not sure the extra 2mm warrant another size larger pilot. Think of it this way, the XC versions run a 39mm FCR and also run a 42 pilot stock (2mm difference)

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got back from working out of state for the weekend, and now and back home ready to get this thing going. My question is, will the motor turn over stuff if the TPS is off?? I just don't get it.

I had it running previously and didn't touch the tps, unless it got knocked for some reason.. I am goin to work on it this week....

Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just got back from working out of state for the weekend, and now and back home ready to get this thing going. My question is, will the motor turn over stuff if the TPS is off?? I just don't get it.

I had it running previously and didn't touch the tps, unless it got knocked for some reason.. I am goin to work on it this week....

Thanks, Jay
yes it will still turn over. Just wont fire

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, good to know. Now how do I get this TPS in the right position? do I adjust it until it fires, or what? I'm sorry for the newb question, i just have never had to deal with this issue before on my honda's..

Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
430 Posts
Okay, good to know. Now how do I get this TPS in the right position? do I adjust it until it fires, or what? I'm sorry for the newb question, i just have never had to deal with this issue before on my honda's..

Thanks, Jay
haha, its alright, I'm just glad i can help save someone the headache i went through.

On the carb where the tps is, there is a screw holding it on. It should be lined up with a green paint mark. (mine on my 08 xc had one). but all i did was loosen the screw and turn the tps all the way one way or another. (2 people on this helps) Then you go to fire the motor and turn the tps little by like as its cranking. If its the tps switch outta wack, it should fire and a point, then you just tighten it back up, should be set to go

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright good deal, thats pretty much what I figured. I will do that and have my fiance come out and help me tonite, since i told her that the 08 was hers so i could get the 09..haha...

thanks man!!!! :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Alright good deal, thats pretty much what I figured. I will do that and have my fiance come out and help me tonite, since i told her that the 08 was hers so i could get the 09..haha...

thanks man!!!! :D

Good luck. ^^haha now thats makin a deal^^

·
Registered
430 Posts
Let me know how it goes

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just went through same issue hit a tree in the last race I guess impact jared it loose took just a few mins to adjust but it really helps to have extra set of hands.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, that was easy..haha. Just slight TPS adjustment and it started right up. Now if I could only get a decent day to ride.

Thanks guys!!! ~Jay

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks Stryker and Jay for this post. I have not experienced an issue yet but I love knowing these kind of things for future reference. It's sounds like a simple issue that you were able to fix quickly. I'm glad it was not something more major.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks Stryker and Jay for this post. I have not experienced an issue yet but I love knowing these kind of things for future reference. It's sounds like a simple issue that you were able to fix quickly. I'm glad it was not something more major.

Always willing to help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts