KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I had my jetting changed by our local KTM dealer as when running down the beach at full throttle it would cut out after just over a minute. I have an HMF pipe on it and the dealer said he had jetted it but it had a 138 in, so I changed to a 165 and now but to a 155 just from what I have read in different forums. Bike seems responsive with the 155 but I was leaving my mates 08 Raptor 700 behind with the 138 and now my son nearly beats me on my 04 Predator.
any ideas as KTM dealer can't seem too work it out

Cheers

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
go back to the 138 and do a plug read on it after a hard pull.

If you are holding wide for 1 min I would say you are running the bowl dry and thats why it was cutting out.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I run a J&D kit with a 185 main on Stockton. It runs slightly fat up top, but if I drop to a 180 it leans off a little too much on the top end.
I've also upped the primary to a 145.
Running a K&N on the intake and a free flowing pipe.
Drop me a line if you need a hand. I will probably be up for a ride on the beach Saturday or Sunday this weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run a J&D kit with a 185 main on Stockton. It runs slightly fat up top, but if I drop to a 180 it leans off a little too much on the top end.
I've also upped the primary to a 145.
Running a K&N on the intake and a free flowing pipe.
Drop me a line if you need a hand. I will probably be up for a ride on the beach Saturday or Sunday this weekend.
that's a big jump up in jetting is it not, but I don't know so that's why I am here hey. I was told that K&N didn't have one to fit the 525 "S" only the IRS, and I have the HMF Performance pipe on now. only a learner
me and my mate with the IRS camped on the beach Sat/sun/mon went to go for a run on Monday morning and the bike cut out after 20 mtres and would not start again even towing it. Mates IRS did the same thing after riding for 5 minutes and we had to trailer then off the beach. get them home and a couple of hours later they start. only got 12 hours on them both.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I didn't realise you were talking about a Polaris.
The tuning is not the same as the KTM and the air box is very restricted.
We did a story on the 525 about 6 months ago. Beachy sent down a HMF for the test bike and we re jetted it. I also drilled a heap of 1" holes in the air box to try and get some flow in there.
Here's what we ended up with.

48 pilot, was a 45.
150 main, was a 138.
Needle 4th clip from the top.
Mixture screw 2 1/2 turns out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't realise you were talking about a Polaris.
The tuning is not the same as the KTM and the air box is very restricted.
We did a story on the 525 about 6 months ago. Beachy sent down a HMF for the test bike and we re jetted it. I also drilled a heap of 1" holes in the air box to try and get some flow in there.
Here's what we ended up with.

48 pilot, was a 45.
150 main, was a 138.
Needle 4th clip from the top.
Mixture screw 2 1/2 turns out.
Sorry, I was told by KTM that they are the same motor and carby that's why i am looking here.
No troubles with sand after drilling the holes in the airbox ?
Do you think those settings will give back the top end speed again ?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
The air box seems to be the biggest problem with the Polaris.
I drilled the holes in the sides up high and also where it wraps around the cross member in the frame.
We did 2 days on the beach after that with no issues. Very little sand in the bottom of the box.
It ran very well on the beach with those settings.
The motors are slightly different somewhere. Whether it is in the cams or timings I'm not sure, but they do not respond the same as the full KTM. Every one I have asked about it have given me the same reply as you have got, but there is a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The air box seems to be the biggest problem with the Polaris.
I drilled the holes in the sides up high and also where it wraps around the cross member in the frame.
We did 2 days on the beach after that with no issues. Very little sand in the bottom of the box.
It ran very well on the beach with those settings.
The motors are slightly different somewhere. Whether it is in the cams or timings I'm not sure, but they do not respond the same as the full KTM. Every one I have asked about it have given me the same reply as you have got, but there is a difference.
I'll try ordering those jets today and see if I can get a hold before the weekend. I usually go up every Sunday morning and try to make it up on a Wednesday after work, but not this one.

Wouldn't mind meeting up one weekend or afternoon and have a chat

cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since you mentioned you have dealt with the Polaris KTM doing a little tuning,
If I remove the lid on the air box or cut a 5x6 area out and cover with outerwear, and have removed the sparky where do you think a good starting point would be main wise that is..
and do you still recomend the OCEMP KTM needle?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Sorry mate, didn't see your post.
Most of the Polaris 525 engines here seem to run well with a pipe and air box turned into swiss cheese on a 45 pilot and either a 155 or 160 main and needle left as is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry mate, didn't see your post.
Most of the Polaris 525 engines here seem to run well with a pipe and air box turned into swiss cheese on a 45 pilot and either a 155 or 160 main and needle left as is.
I tried a 150 guess I will go up to a 160 and remove the lid. I am trying to find a K&N RA-0460 so I can remove the air box entirely.. then I will be needing to know where to start again on jetting won't I...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts