KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, to those of you who are thinking about using the 07/08 SXF bike head on your 09+ SX quads, here is some simple yet important info needed to complete this successfully. We were running into some issues, and went thru all of the steps in looking for possible answers. Broke out the fiche and cross referenced all of the #'s throughout the top end, only to find this is the underlying issue. :D

The 07/08 valve springs are a MUST for this conversion. The 09 quad head uses a single valve spring, where as the 07/08 SXF bike head uses an inner and outer spring which is also longer from my understanding.

ALL part #'s are alike on the head and valvetrain EXCEPT the valve spring kits!!!!

SIMPLE, YET USEFUL INFO:

09 KTM 450 SX quad valve setup:

08 KTM 450 SXF bike valve setup:

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
what about the 09 bikes ?

Given that all years use the same intake cam you have to wonder if the doubles are needed apart from the different height ? or if the 09 springs could have been shimmed to height ?

bugger aye......

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really not sure, but the 09 SXF bike springs are the same as the quad. Apparently the 09 springs are recessed in the head more? I don't have the two heads in front of my so I can't explain much, but my mechanic explained this to me on the phone. It sucks cuz the guy who did my head left for Austria again on monday, so the we weren't able to get ahold of him for answers the first couple of days.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright.... just confirmed this info.

The 09 quad and bike heads are the same. The 07/08 bike heads are pretty much the same, other than the springs and the machining where the springs are placed is deeper on the 09 heads.

KTM Part #'s:

09 KTM 450 quad & bike head: 77336020144
07/08 KTM 450 SXF bike head: 77036020144

JaY

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Camshaft specs between two models:

09 KTM 450 SX quad:
Intake: #77336009100
Exhaust: #77336010444

07/08 KTM 450 SXF bike:
Intake: # Same as 09 quad
Exhaust: #77336010200

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Great info, and excuse me if this was posted somewhere else, but whats the benefit of running either of the bike heads compared to the sx atv head? Or is it mainly just availability of these heads over the sx atv head?

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think the availability is the key. Basically for me, it was a matter of the knowledge of this head with my builder and his recommendations. I have pictures of the head after porting that I hope to share. I have to check with a couple people to see if this is something I can do though.

Thx, Jay

·
Registered
338 Posts
Im very interested Jay. I too was curious what are the benefits of running the 07/08 dirtbike head over the sx atv head. Thanks for the response. Im hoping your permitted to post the picture!

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
hey Jay

any update on the head, interested to know if the early exhaust cam gives it more hit / top end ?

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All i can say is that the head makes this bike RIP!!!! Its got power all over the range, and pulls hard all the way thru. I will be trying some more gearing changes and other mods soon once the weather cooperates with us here.

Thanks, Jay

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, its ported by the factory engine builder for HMC/KTM Factory Supermoto race team. He is a friend of a friend. :) He actually just got back here from Austria again, so we're going to do some testing on a supermoto track within the next few weeks and try some more tweaking. Also, a local dealer is setting up there new dyno, so I hope to be one of the first ones to get some tuning time on there.

Jay

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dang, HMC builds some rediculously fast ktm motors!! They definatly know their way around a ktm motor. Hmm... Do you know if HMC does motor work for regular people or not? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I read your post about putting an 08 head on an 09 motor, ive been having problems with my bike for 2 years now and think you have the solution. I have an 08 sx 450 with a 505 head, and we put an 09 exhaust camshaft on it which fixed the e-starter problem. However now the bike hesitates at minimal throttle, idles and runs fine full throttle and mid. Everything else is 08 in the head including the springs, and I saw that on your post the springs are different so I'm thinking maybe I need to update my springs to the 09, please help!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hey guys I read your post about putting an 08 head on an 09 motor, ive been having problems with my bike for 2 years now and think you have the solution. I have an 08 sx 450 with a 505 head, and we put an 09 exhaust camshaft on it which fixed the e-starter problem. However now the bike hesitates at minimal throttle, idles and runs fine full throttle and mid. Everything else is 08 in the head including the springs, and I saw that on your post the springs are different so I'm thinking maybe I need to update my springs to the 09, please help!
You might want to call Jason at Fourwerx. He is not on here anymore. Kiwi still checks in here from time to time but is pretty much not around anymore either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know how to contact them, does anyone have info? My email is raph AT spartahealth.com and no is 778-31seven-505 eeight, thanks a mill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts