XC light flywheel update
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: XC light flywheel update

Administrator KTMATVHQ Guru

XC light flywheel update

All done and will be testing this weekend

three flywheel weights: 435g SX-F / 520g RFS SX / 635g TT SX-F vs the stockers 810g

XC light flywheel update-p5180162.jpg

comparison to stocker

XC light flywheel update-p5180166.jpg XC light flywheel update-p5180168.jpg

I went down the ktm RFS SX stator cover route, billet of course…...
    XC light flywheel update-p5180174.jpg

XC light flywheel update-p5180169.jpg

90 watt Trail Tech stator unit will be adequate to run the ignition, fan and charge the battery, lights ? probably handle the stock setup ok.
    KTM 505 SX: Web cams / 13.5:1 custom CP / balanced and modded crank / custom Vortex X10 ignition / Ported head / 43.5mm billet centre bored carb / KTM Akrapovic muffler / Mino hi vol water pump / 12 deg flexx's / houser stem / elka 5 / PEP PB1's and PEP LT rear / Walsh Flow A Arms / Quad tech seat & Foam / CF nose / FCI intake / relocated batt box / KTM Bill header / KTM factory SS Oil Pump setup / Manual cam chain tensioner Next round of mods: oil cooler........ the NEW TOP DOG 114 hrs…. best race engine I've owned

KTM 554 XC
    : sx style crank, light weight SXF flywheel, TT sxf stator, steel linered cylinder, custom JE piston ceramic coating, plus 1 ported head / 807 cam, 43.5mm carb. Mino hi vol water pump. KTM Bill custom exhaust, FCI intake, JB A Arms, PEP PB1s front LT and rear , Lonestar axle, 12 deg Flexx's, CF nose, elka 3 steering damper, KTM factory nerfs, factory white plastic and graphics / gell cell battery Next round of mods: oil cooler........

gotta stop spending $$$ on these KTM's...…..

Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS - 2011
    , lonestar plus 2 A Arms, cut MXR front shocks (minus 1 ") with ZPS / ttripple rate, FUJ rear suspension rear shock mount units drops ride height 2", FUJ HD adj sway bar, 1.5” rear billet wheel spacers, Polaris nerfs, bumper and rear rack, Yoshi competition slip on, Pro Taper bars, acerbis hand guards, Trailtech GPS with billet protector. KTM throttle / Honda Front master cylinder and shorty lever / 41mm carb & hi flow intake runner / big filter / Billet FCR transition ring. Modified rear spring package / rear revalve.

next round of mods: 8/33 cam, Hi Flow water pump and 540 cylinder / wossner piston waiting to go in, fastway 3 steering damper ala KTM setup, custom header using KTM XC header as a starting piece, light flywheel setup.
    gotta have something to modify this year !

LTR 450
    , My Wife Nicola's ride & my back up mxer - 493 BB / JE piston / special order Yoshi motard cams / custom fueling map / tcs LT ZPS front end setup, TCS rear ZPS revalve / ims tank / TB exhaust / power commander / proflo - K&N / 14 deg flexx's / race nerfs / armadillo bumper/ Denton damper, next round of mods: ported head and carillo rod...... the clark kent of the ATV trio ! 210 hrs and still going strong ! the BB kit transformed this machine, it hauls the mail now !!!!

A garage full of wheels and tires for them all........ speedway / sand / MX / cross country, over 30 at last count all on rims ready to rock

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013
    NZ Vets (40+) North Island MX champ 08, 09, 12 & 13
    NZ TT champ Vets (40+) 06, 08, 09,12 & 13
    Auckland ATV Club Sprint Series Champ 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 13
    hope to get a good season in for the remainder of 2014.......finding time to ride being the biggest problem !

more details

the RFS SX side case uses 6mm screws, atv 8mm, plus used locating dowels at two f the screw locations, atv has separate dowels, these have to be removed (damn tight in the engine block but doable).

made inserts and dowels and threaded into the cases, had to go down to a 5mm case screw but all works a treat. You can see the removed atv dowel pin hole in the left hand photo

XC light flywheel update-p5180156.jpg XC light flywheel update-p5180157.jpg XC light flywheel update-p5180172.jpg

simply used a KTM 8mm case bolt and spun the head down to the right size, still has the torx drive in the centre for ease of fitting then drill and tapped the centre for the case screw. Uses the dirtbike side case gasket.
    KTM 505 SX: Web cams / 13.5:1 custom CP / balanced and modded crank / custom Vortex X10 ignition / Ported head / 43.5mm billet centre bored carb / KTM Akrapovic muffler / Mino hi vol water pump / 12 deg flexx's / houser stem / elka 5 / PEP PB1's and PEP LT rear / Walsh Flow A Arms / Quad tech seat & Foam / CF nose / FCI intake / relocated batt box / KTM Bill header / KTM factory SS Oil Pump setup / Manual cam chain tensioner Next round of mods: oil cooler........ the NEW TOP DOG 114 hrs…. best race engine I've owned

KTM 554 XC
    : sx style crank, light weight SXF flywheel, TT sxf stator, steel linered cylinder, custom JE piston ceramic coating, plus 1 ported head / 807 cam, 43.5mm carb. Mino hi vol water pump. KTM Bill custom exhaust, FCI intake, JB A Arms, PEP PB1s front LT and rear , Lonestar axle, 12 deg Flexx's, CF nose, elka 3 steering damper, KTM factory nerfs, factory white plastic and graphics / gell cell battery Next round of mods: oil cooler........

, lonestar plus 2 A Arms, cut MXR front shocks (minus 1 ") with ZPS / ttripple rate, FUJ rear suspension rear shock mount units drops ride height 2", FUJ HD adj sway bar, 1.5” rear billet wheel spacers, Polaris nerfs, bumper and rear rack, Yoshi competition slip on, Pro Taper bars, acerbis hand guards, Trailtech GPS with billet protector. KTM throttle / Honda Front master cylinder and shorty lever / 41mm carb & hi flow intake runner / big filter / Billet FCR transition ring. Modified rear spring package / rear revalve.

next round of mods: 8/33 cam, Hi Flow water pump and 540 cylinder / wossner piston waiting to go in, fastway 3 steering damper ala KTM setup, custom header using KTM XC header as a starting piece, light flywheel setup.

LTR 450
    , My Wife Nicola's ride & my back up mxer - 493 BB / JE piston / special order Yoshi motard cams / custom fueling map / tcs LT ZPS front end setup, TCS rear ZPS revalve / ims tank / TB exhaust / power commander / proflo - K&N / 14 deg flexx's / race nerfs / armadillo bumper/ Denton damper, next round of mods: ported head and carillo rod...... the clark kent of the ATV trio ! 210 hrs and still going strong ! the BB kit transformed this machine, it hauls the mail now !!!!

A garage full of wheels and tires for them all........ speedway / sand / MX / cross country, over 30 at last count all on rims ready to rock

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013
    hope to get a good season in for the remainder of 2014.......finding time to ride being the biggest problem !

electrics, you need to use the Trail Tech regulator rectifier unit to match the Trail Tech single phase stator unit, it needs to be spaced up from the chassis slightly, there is a weld on the frame that will hit the TT unit and if you tighten it down will likely break the mounting lugs off…….. follow the TT wiring instructions, pretty simple……….., i go the right spade ends to plug into the XC loom, easy…….

XC light flywheel update-p5180175.jpg

KTM SX Stator cover Part No 59030002500

get the matching gasket 59030040000

you need these two of the little spacers to get the trigger coil in the right place 59039009000

TT regulator unit is part no 7003-RR150 $60 http://www.trailtech.net/7004-RR150.html i used the earlier version which didn't have the adjustable relay, no longer available it seems

TT stator is S-8360-05 $145 http://www.trailtech.net/S-8360-05.html

KTM 554 XC

LTR 450

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Looks killer! could a guy use dswartfarger's stator adaptor and the stock cover with this setup? Lets us know how it runs!
    99mm thumper cylinder 15:1 comp, Crankworks billet stroker, Custom Carrillo short rod, Racers edge +4ti head, 48mm hsr carb, Shortened and stretched trx fci intake, Custom programmed vortex

296lbs ready to ride. This might be the fastest ktm duner in the world

the stator adapter moves the coils to close to the flywheel and only works with the SXF flywheel….. I tried and gave up.

You can buys a stock RFS SX stator cover new for $40 some…….. I got the billet one for $70 off ebay brand new still in the packet ! not much demand for the RFS SX stuff

KTM 554 XC

LTR 450

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Awesome awesome awesome! Can't wait to hear your results.
    2009 Polaris Outlaw 690S
    2007 Suzuki LTR450
    2012 Polaris Sportsman 850 EPS

Looks good. Im gonna go all sx. Get rid of battery and all, start it with my foot. Lol Im probably gonna take off my fan. Just race 1 or 2 times shut it down for awhile. I think I need my brake light therell be a few guys behind me that'll need to know I finally let off the gas. Lol
    8/10 cam or stage 6 depends on who you but it from
    plus 1 head
    slingshot lock up
    fci intake, 43.5 carb
    plus 8 swingarm
    ktmbill exhaust
    JJ&a play axle
    high flow water pump
    direct drive spindle mounts (thanks nmachine)

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=drag.jpg

Is there any reason you couldnt have reamed the holes up to 8mm on the sx ignition cover?
    99mm thumper cylinder 15:1 comp, Crankworks billet stroker, Custom Carrillo short rod, Racers edge +4ti head, 48mm hsr carb, Shortened and stretched trx fci intake, Custom programmed vortex

Here is the part number for the factory SX-F flywheel. Used on both the 250, 450, and 505 SX-F

here is the ktm factory part number for the sx ignition cover

Here is a link to the stator assembly
    http://www.trailtech.net/S-8360-05.html

Last edited by 5.0fox; 05-19-2012 at 10:09 AM.

I think it is better to use the RFS SX flywheel 2003-2004 it full overlaps the stator to get full wattage, though you drag racers will probably like the lighter SX-F unit.

Reg-rect unit trail tech recommended the 7000 -RR150 unit.

http://trailtech.net/7003-RR150.html

http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/i...010-ELV-71.pdf

KTM 554 XC

LTR 450

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0fox View Post
    Is there any reason you couldnt have reamed the holes up to 8mm on the sx ignition cover?
    it needs the dowels at two of the bolt holes to line it up, the housing is very thin I'd bet it would crack with time if it was drilled out.

KTM 554 XC

LTR 450

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013

hmm it looks like the only option is to build a special reducer/dowel like the one you made as it doesnt look like there is room to drill the sx ignition cover to match the factory atv dowel pin. Did you chuck the bolts in a lathe to turn the head down and drill and tap the inner threads?

Dowel bolts, yup, pretty easy. Hard part was getting the dowel pins out of the engine case ! tight little f…ers

KTM 554 XC

LTR 450

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013

had it out for a decent ride today, this setup rips ! nice fast throttle response and snappy power, this is the business, no problems running the fan and maintaining the battery charge and plenty of stop starts to test all that side of things out.

still dialing in the jetting (well rich) 43.5mm carb 45 / djh needle / 185 going to go back to 42 / 175 and retest with an 02 in the pipe bung. Was just glad to get her out finally and stretch it's legs and just wanted to get some run time up. to much accelerator pump also…...

but even with the heavy clutch springs I'm getting serious clutch slip in 4th and 5th gear when getting on the stick hard, it bites in eventually but clearly slipping after the gear shift ????

had to cut our day ride session short after a couple of hours rather than shred the clutch ………… Still runs nicely and plenty of get up n go in there

KTM 554 XC

LTR 450

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013

Junior Member Rookie
    Hey guys I'm almost finishing this up all parts are in but I'm wondering how I go from the 2 wire stator to the 3 wire hook up to
    the bike. Do I just join up all thge wires.

Quote Originally Posted by duramacr View Post
    Hey guys I'm almost finishing this up all parts are in but I'm wondering how I go from the 2 wire stator to the 3 wire hook up to
    the bike. Do I just join up all thge wires.
    Are you trying to use the factory 3 wire regulator?? According to the other posts you have to have the trail tech 2 wire regulator to make it work.
    2008 ktm 525xc: 95mm CP 13:1 piston, 41mm carb, 807 cam, +1 Kimblewhite valves, Racers Edge porting, FMF exhaust with powerbomb, SX intake, Crank Works Balanced Crank, DJH pressure feed for right main bearing and cup for left main bearing, mino hiflow water pump, All 4 Racing A-arms, LSR Axle, Rocket Ron Suspension

My 2014 Sponsors:
    GPS Offroad Products, Elka Suspension, Risk Racing, Twin Air, Lonestar Racing, GoPro

Does any one have the part number for the billet cover? I would love to do this. Also would 90 watts be enough to run everything including an HID? Is there any problems with stalling at low speeds?
    Last edited by tylerallout; 11-01-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    2008 ktm 525xc: 95mm CP 13:1 piston, 41mm carb, 807 cam, +1 Kimblewhite valves, Racers Edge porting, FMF exhaust with powerbomb, SX intake, Crank Works Balanced Crank, DJH pressure feed for right main bearing and cup for left main bearing, mino hiflow water pump, All 4 Racing A-arms, LSR Axle, Rocket Ron Suspension

My 2014 Sponsors:
    GPS Offroad Products, Elka Suspension, Risk Racing, Twin Air, Lonestar Racing, GoPro

My 2014 Sponsors:

AWSOME WRITE UP!!! very nice job!! once i get some coin rollin again im doing this setup for sure!!
    2009 KTM 525XC #841

Brad Mulvey Mod SX arms, SX axle, SX brake lines, KTM Big Nerfs, KTM Hood, Motoworks SR4 slip on, akro manifold, ESR heat gauge, 42mm bored carb, hrc kit, YFZ float bowl w/ adjustable leak jet, FCI "like" Intake w/ RC-5000 K&N filter.

that flywheel should work

gotta use the T&T two wire reg unit. Stock unit is not suitable

KTM 554 XC

LTR 450

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links