you asked for it 78mm bllet stroker crank
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: you asked for it 78mm bllet stroker crank

Senior Member Member
    It is supposed to be more durable at high RPM for the big stroker builds, so lighter,stroked and stronger than stock.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clyde View Post
    what does this part do on ur ktm? more power,more torque? what?
    More Torque, HP and reliability. The crank is stronger and lighter than stock and uses oem bearings which have the highest load rating of any bearing we can use. That was one of the main reasons we redesigned the crank, we wanted to use the oem bearings because all other bearings required special set up. When we redesigned the crank we made it 35% more rigid which helps control crank flex much better than the stock crank.

Senior Member Member
    I spread my first heavy stroker twice and had dave hopkins refresh my motor and went with the billet crank/13.5-1 piston and I am amazed with the difference. The quad does not pull all over when on or off the throttle and it now revs like a 450 with almost no vibration in the handlebars and seems to not mind staying reved up in fifth 8500RPM. Not to many places here to go that fast (125KLM/hr) but it is nice to come out of a corner and hold the throttle on without vibrating and pulling all over the road. It may be my imagination but it seems to have more torque and accelerate harder as well. I put about 140hrs. on the old crank and loved every minute of it and this crank makes it even nicer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spudnik View Post
    I spread my first heavy stroker twice and had dave hopkins refresh my motor and went with the billet crank/13.5-1 piston and I am amazed with the difference. The quad does not pull all over when on or off the throttle and it now revs like a 450 with almost no vibration in the handlebars and seems to not mind staying reved up in fifth 8500RPM. Not to many places here to go that fast (125KLM/hr) but it is nice to come out of a corner and hold the throttle on without vibrating and pulling all over the road. It may be my imagination but it seems to have more torque and accelerate harder as well. I put about 140hrs. on the old crank and loved every minute of it and this crank makes it even nicer.
    The longer rod we use with the billet stroker makes 1 1/2 more hp over the factory short rod stroker. Because the rod is longer you get less sideloading of the piston and slower piston speed which is where the extra hp, torque and free'er rev feeling comes from

Senior Member Member
    Does it work with a 450 piston size? For enduro race Reliability and not overpowered the bike...

Administrator KTMATVHQ Guru
    Pat, travis can do his crank in 72mm (stock) stroke as well
    KTM 505 SX: Web cams / 13.5:1 custom CP / balanced and modded crank / custom Vortex X10 ignition / Ported head / 43.5mm billet centre bored carb / KTM Akrapovic muffler / Mino hi vol water pump / 12 deg flexx's / houser stem / elka 5 / PEP PB1's and PEP LT rear / Walsh Flow A Arms / Quad tech seat & Foam / CF nose / FCI intake / relocated batt box / KTM Bill header / KTM factory SS Oil Pump setup / Manual cam chain tensioner Next round of mods: oil cooler........ the NEW TOP DOG 114 hrs…. best race engine I've owned

KTM 554 XC
    : sx style crank, light weight SXF flywheel, TT sxf stator, steel linered cylinder, custom JE piston ceramic coating, plus 1 ported head / 807 cam, 43.5mm carb. Mino hi vol water pump. KTM Bill custom exhaust, FCI intake, JB A Arms, PEP PB1s front LT and rear , Lonestar axle, 12 deg Flexx's, CF nose, elka 3 steering damper, KTM factory nerfs, factory white plastic and graphics / gell cell battery Next round of mods: oil cooler........

gotta stop spending $$$ on these KTM's...…..

Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS - 2011
    , lonestar plus 2 A Arms, cut MXR front shocks (minus 1 ") with ZPS / ttripple rate, FUJ rear suspension rear shock mount units drops ride height 2", FUJ HD adj sway bar, 1.5” rear billet wheel spacers, Polaris nerfs, bumper and rear rack, Yoshi competition slip on, Pro Taper bars, acerbis hand guards, Trailtech GPS with billet protector. KTM throttle / Honda Front master cylinder and shorty lever / 41mm carb & hi flow intake runner / big filter / Billet FCR transition ring. Modified rear spring package / rear revalve.

next round of mods: 8/33 cam, Hi Flow water pump and 540 cylinder / wossner piston waiting to go in, fastway 3 steering damper ala KTM setup, custom header using KTM XC header as a starting piece, light flywheel setup.
    gotta have something to modify this year !

LTR 450
    , My Wife Nicola's ride & my back up mxer - 493 BB / JE piston / special order Yoshi motard cams / custom fueling map / tcs LT ZPS front end setup, TCS rear ZPS revalve / ims tank / TB exhaust / power commander / proflo - K&N / 14 deg flexx's / race nerfs / armadillo bumper/ Denton damper, next round of mods: ported head and carillo rod...... the clark kent of the ATV trio ! 210 hrs and still going strong ! the BB kit transformed this machine, it hauls the mail now !!!!

A garage full of wheels and tires for them all........ speedway / sand / MX / cross country, over 30 at last count all on rims ready to rock

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013
    NZ Vets (40+) North Island MX champ 08, 09, 12 & 13
    NZ TT champ Vets (40+) 06, 08, 09,12 & 13
    Auckland ATV Club Sprint Series Champ 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 13
    hope to get a good season in for the remainder of 2014.......finding time to ride being the biggest problem !

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_72 View Post
    Does it work with a 450 piston size? For enduro race Reliability and not overpowered the bike...
    We can set it up for whetever piston you would like. stock bore 89/95mm or bigger 97/98/99/100/102mm pistons. I just need to know which piston so we can balance it to the piston you will be using.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperRacing View Post
    The longer rod we use with the billet stroker makes 1 1/2 more hp over the factory short rod stroker. Because the rod is longer you get less sideloading of the piston and slower piston speed which is where the extra hp, torque and free'er rev feeling comes from
    Just another reason to spend 2k more.
    8/10 cam or stage 6 depends on who you but it from
    plus 1 head
    slingshot lock up
    fci intake, 43.5 carb
    plus 8 swingarm
    ktmbill exhaust
    JJ&a play axle
    high flow water pump
    direct drive spindle mounts (thanks nmachine)

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=drag.jpg

Administrator KTMATVHQ Guru
    you need a reason........... lol.............
    KTM 505 SX: Web cams / 13.5:1 custom CP / balanced and modded crank / custom Vortex X10 ignition / Ported head / 43.5mm billet centre bored carb / KTM Akrapovic muffler / Mino hi vol water pump / 12 deg flexx's / houser stem / elka 5 / PEP PB1's and PEP LT rear / Walsh Flow A Arms / Quad tech seat & Foam / CF nose / FCI intake / relocated batt box / KTM Bill header / KTM factory SS Oil Pump setup / Manual cam chain tensioner Next round of mods: oil cooler........ the NEW TOP DOG 114 hrs…. best race engine I've owned

KTM 554 XC
    : sx style crank, light weight SXF flywheel, TT sxf stator, steel linered cylinder, custom JE piston ceramic coating, plus 1 ported head / 807 cam, 43.5mm carb. Mino hi vol water pump. KTM Bill custom exhaust, FCI intake, JB A Arms, PEP PB1s front LT and rear , Lonestar axle, 12 deg Flexx's, CF nose, elka 3 steering damper, KTM factory nerfs, factory white plastic and graphics / gell cell battery Next round of mods: oil cooler........

gotta stop spending $$$ on these KTM's...…..

Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS - 2011
    , lonestar plus 2 A Arms, cut MXR front shocks (minus 1 ") with ZPS / ttripple rate, FUJ rear suspension rear shock mount units drops ride height 2", FUJ HD adj sway bar, 1.5” rear billet wheel spacers, Polaris nerfs, bumper and rear rack, Yoshi competition slip on, Pro Taper bars, acerbis hand guards, Trailtech GPS with billet protector. KTM throttle / Honda Front master cylinder and shorty lever / 41mm carb & hi flow intake runner / big filter / Billet FCR transition ring. Modified rear spring package / rear revalve.

next round of mods: 8/33 cam, Hi Flow water pump and 540 cylinder / wossner piston waiting to go in, fastway 3 steering damper ala KTM setup, custom header using KTM XC header as a starting piece, light flywheel setup.
    gotta have something to modify this year !

LTR 450
    , My Wife Nicola's ride & my back up mxer - 493 BB / JE piston / special order Yoshi motard cams / custom fueling map / tcs LT ZPS front end setup, TCS rear ZPS revalve / ims tank / TB exhaust / power commander / proflo - K&N / 14 deg flexx's / race nerfs / armadillo bumper/ Denton damper, next round of mods: ported head and carillo rod...... the clark kent of the ATV trio ! 210 hrs and still going strong ! the BB kit transformed this machine, it hauls the mail now !!!!

A garage full of wheels and tires for them all........ speedway / sand / MX / cross country, over 30 at last count all on rims ready to rock

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013
    NZ Vets (40+) North Island MX champ 08, 09, 12 & 13
    NZ TT champ Vets (40+) 06, 08, 09,12 & 13
    Auckland ATV Club Sprint Series Champ 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 13
    hope to get a good season in for the remainder of 2014.......finding time to ride being the biggest problem !

Senior Member Member
    So has anyone tried this crank on a KTM build yet??

Senior Member Member
    Yes, DJH set me up with a billet crank after the factory unit bent for the second time. Only have about 8hrs. on it but it is fine so far. Definately the lighter crank throws the quad around less making it easier to controll than before.

How were your cranks bending? The billet crank is actually a little heavier then Travis's stroker crank that has been lightened. I have a stroker one now I'm afraid may be seperating.
    plus 1 head
    slingshot lock up
    fci intake, 43.5 carb
    plus 8 swingarm
    ktmbill exhaust
    JJ&a play axle
    high flow water pump

Senior Member Member
    I can't really say what caused it to bend but the motor kep't getting noisier the more I rode the first time and after being straightened and evan with bearing upgrades it bent easily the second time. 150hrs. on the first crank and 10hrs on the second try. I injured myself and have not been able to ride the last part of this year. My original crank was the unlightened factory crank, very heavy and would move the Quad around with RPM changes. The billet crank also has less vibration being better balanced.

You sure rod is bending? I bet the crank is seperating making the the rod crooked
    plus 1 head
    slingshot lock up
    fci intake, 43.5 carb
    plus 8 swingarm
    ktmbill exhaust
    JJ&a play axle
    high flow water pump

Senior Member Member
    Thats right, the crank was bending/spreading

Member Rookie
    I have the billet crank in my turbo bike holding up so far but it just has dyno time on it, and i think travis is almost finished with a big motor for me and it will get some ride time so we will see how it does.

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by flooringit View Post
    How were your cranks bending? The billet crank is actually a little heavier then Travis's stroker crank that has been lightened. I have a stroker one now I'm afraid may be seperating.
    Friend with one weighed his billet and its 4410 grams according to him.

Quote Originally Posted by caflash View Post
    Friend with one weighed his billet and its 4410 grams according to him.
    This may come off as me being an arse but there is a lot of history with bob and me I've had it. It's really time for you to put up or shut the heck up up bob. There is a balance betwen making a crank that will last or make a crank that will fall apart after 20/30 hours. No crank has held together in this turbo motor longer than dynotesting the other cranks built (stock stroked, factory oem stroker Mike tried them all I beleive commbinations and all had failed within a few hours and the billet has latsed longer than all others combinde in hiis KTM 600 turbo which is making well over 100 hp. yes our billet stroker crank is slightly heavier than your caflush pos reworked 03 cranks. I will guarantee ours will out handle, out power as well as out last whatever you can build. I have put this challenge out there before and you ignored it. How about you build your best and lets compare them heads up? Looser pays the winer $2000 I don't believe you have any idea what my cranks weighs but I really dont care if you do or not. I haven't sold but 2 outright the other 22 have been installed in complete motors so I reality doubt you have had a chance to weight one of my billet cranks and even if you did who cares anyway? I don't trust you to be 100% honest so we will have to find an independant person do the testing. Or you can come to the shop and watch as we test both bikes. I have the dyno and if you want you can come and make sure all testing is done exctly the same between both motors. bring your motor in a frame ready to ride. This last little coment of yours was the last straw. Put up or shut up thats the last time I'm going to say it.

I'm nt sure why you have desided to move to another forum to start attacking me again. But I'm realllly getting tired of the 1/2 arsed attacks you come up with. Now you are movig from web site to web site to try and attack me from another angle. So I'll put i to you one last time either put up or shut up Bob. Biuld a motor to run heads up against me or go away.
    Last edited by ThumperRacing; 11-04-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    tylerallout likes this.

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperRacing View Post
    , This may come off as me being an arse but there is a lot of history with bob and me I've had it. It's really time for you to put up or shut the heck up up bob. There is a balance betwen making a crank that will last or make a crank that will fall apart after 20/30 hours. No crank has held together in this turbo motor longer than dynotesting the other cranks built (stock stroked, factory oem stroker Mike tried them all I beleive commbinations and all had failed within a few hours and the billet has latsed longer than all others combinde in hiis KTM 600 turbo which is making well over 100 hp. yes our billet stroker crank is slightly heavier than your caflush pos reworked 03 cranks. I will guarantee ours will out handle, out power as well as out last whatever you can build. I have put this challenge out there before and you ignored it. How about you build your best and lets compare them heads up? Looser pays the winer $2000 I don't believe you have any idea what my cranks weighs but I really dont care if you do or not. I haven't sold but 2 outright the other 22 have been installed in complete motors so I reality doubt you have had a chance to weight one of my billet cranks and even if you did who cares anyway? I don't trust you to be 100% honest so we will have to find an independant person do the testing. Or you can come to the shop and watch as we test both bikes. I have the dyno and if you want you can come and make sure all testing is done exctly the same between both motors. bring your motor in a frame ready to ride. This last little coment of yours was the last straw. Put up or shut up thats the last time I'm going to say it.I'm nt sure why you have desided to move to another forum to start attacking me again. But I'm realllly getting tired of the 1/2 arsed attacks you come up with. Now you are movig from web site to web site to try and attack me from another angle. So I'll put i to you one last time either put up or shut up Bob. Biuld a motor to run heads up against me or go away.
    Sure i actually know what they really weigh. Unlike some I don't need to lie. one of the two you sold seperately called me afterwards. I personally thought it was a good idea for these boys. Maintain momentum. I have zero interest in trying to get these boys to 80hp with an rfs. Go for it. Wow. I sent all the early quad inquiry's to you or Dave Hopkins as the info would not help me on bikes. Just spins the tire harder on a bike. Someone posted about billet cylinders and i came back here to look at it.

Here is his message to me on sept 5th

Finally weighed the Travis stroker

Stock OEM stroker = 4,743 G.

Travis stroker = 4,410 G.
    Last edited by caflash; 11-16-2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Message quote

Unlike some you cant help but fabricate your version of the truth -you were a car /rv salesman I've never met one that could tell the truth if his life depended on it.. No matter what my crank weight which you are not that far of btw. it takes a certan amount of metal and engineering to make the cranks live. Like I said put up or shut up. I'll up the wager either build a motor to run against one of your motors against mine or shut up $5000 to the winner.

Why do you feeel the need to follow me from one site to the other anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by caflash View Post
    Sure i actually know what they really weigh. Unlike some I don't need to lie. one of the two you sold seperately called me afterwards. I personally thought it was a good idea for these boys. Maintain momentum. I have zero interest in trying to get these boys to 80hp with an rfs. Go for it. Wow. I sent all the early quad inquiry's to you or Dave Hopkins as the info would not help me on bikes. Just spins the tire harder on a bike. Someone posted about billet cylinders and i came back here to look at it.

Here is his message to me on sept 5th

Finally weighed the Travis stroker

Stock OEM stroker = 4,743 G.

Travis stroker = 4,410 G.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links