Do you know if there are different camshafts ktm factory?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do you know if there are different camshafts ktm factory?

Junior Member Rookie
    hi all:
    camshaft buy a used ktm factory, is supposed to be the smr ktm 560cc.
    my question is: there is only one factory camshaft ktm? or ktm distributes multiple cams?
    I have the 525cc and 540cc be installing the kit with the camshaft but want to know if it is correct.
    another question: have temperature problems? my motor unit gets very hot and I have only been a Akrapovic exhaust nothing else.

I hope to answer thank you very much.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict

The most common upgrade factory cam is the 8/06 out of the 560 SMR. Other factory cams that are more agressive are the 8/33, and 8/07. Hot cams also makes a grind for this engine, it's a little more agressive/ topend heavy than the 8/07 but with more bottom end loss. Don't even consider the 8/07 unless you got some serious carb and head porting done. Experienced mechanics only need apply for the installation of the 8/07 too. Clearances need checking etc.....

Junior Member Rookie
    thank you very much, how could I check camshaft do I have? I think that has no reference.
    then with the 540cc kit and camshaft that I have worked correctly?
    greetings and are the best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

The grind number of the camshaft is on the water pump end of the shaft. very small numbers. Your stock camshaft will be a 590/5521. I reccomend the 560 smr 8/06 camshaft for most conditions.

You mention its seems to be running hot, have you rejetted the carb since installing the Akro pipe? These engines seem to be on the hot side anyway, but if it hasn't been rejetted since the Akro installation that could be making it much worse. The Mino high volume water pump is a good idea on these engines too.

Junior Member Rookie
    if the stock camshaft is 590/5521. and the other camshaft puts no reference but I'm told is the 560smr.

I along with Akrapovic exhaust, needle point increase, by 175 high and 42 low. I do not think that is the problem, also remove the thermostat and put two coolers in the cuff. ktm say maybe a high temperature is normal, but the clutch and ignition covers are always very warm.

big orange, thank you very much. when installing the 540cc kit with camshaft and informs you that I serve a big help.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru

An oil cooler will solve your heat issues.
    2009 OUTLAW 525 IRS. 41mm carb, HMF Competition Series Pipe, Custom Full Intake,Polaris Bob Oil Cooler Adaptor with Custom Cooler, Rath +3 A-arms, ALBA Anit-Vibe kit, 15 Tooth sprocket, Pure Polaris Nerfs, Pure Polaris Handguards, Pure Polaris Front Bumper,Fox Podium X Shocks (4), PRM 6 pack rack, PRM Rear A-Arm Guards, Pit Posse Shifter, Daytona Digital Tach, G-Force Wheel Spacers, IRazr Radials, Thumper Racing crankcase vent.

Member Rookie
    Where did you get this 540 kit from? Is it the factory kit or no?

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4315023_n.jpg

540 kit - 8/33 cam - factory big nerfs - ODI grips - custom modded airbox - ktmbill pipe - 41mm carb - fastranchero mods

Administrator KTMATVHQ Guru
    KTM performance camshaft part numbers

59036010100 CAMSHAFT 8/06 - this is the 560 SMR cam

59836010100 CAMSHAFT 250 RAC. 2002 stock in the 450SXS

59036110000 SXS 450 Performance Camshaft 8/33

SMS36010000 CAMSHAFT 8/07 MSP

the 8/06 came in the late model 560 SMR's, the 250 racing was the stock cam used in the factory 450SXS dirt bike engine around 05, the 8/33 was part ofthe factory SXS engine kit for the 450 SMR's and the 8/07 was the cam used in the 613 crate engines sold for motard use. Approximate relative performance levels shown 806 mildest 807 hottest
    Stock cam 55/5521 is pretty tame
    dustinhreed likes this.
    KTM 505 SX: Web cams / 13.5:1 custom CP / balanced and modded crank / custom Vortex X10 ignition / Ported head / 43.5mm billet centre bored carb / KTM Akrapovic muffler / Mino hi vol water pump / 12 deg flexx's / houser stem / elka 5 / PEP PB1's and PEP LT rear / Walsh Flow A Arms / Quad tech seat & Foam / CF nose / FCI intake / relocated batt box / KTM Bill header / KTM factory SS Oil Pump setup / Manual cam chain tensioner Next round of mods: oil cooler........ the NEW TOP DOG 114 hrs…. best race engine I've owned

KTM 554 XC
    : sx style crank, light weight SXF flywheel, TT sxf stator, steel linered cylinder, custom JE piston ceramic coating, plus 1 ported head / 807 cam, 43.5mm carb. Mino hi vol water pump. KTM Bill custom exhaust, FCI intake, JB A Arms, PEP PB1s front LT and rear , Lonestar axle, 12 deg Flexx's, CF nose, elka 3 steering damper, KTM factory nerfs, factory white plastic and graphics / gell cell battery Next round of mods: oil cooler........

gotta stop spending $$$ on these KTM's...…..

Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS - 2011
    , lonestar plus 2 A Arms, cut MXR front shocks (minus 1 ") with ZPS / ttripple rate, FUJ rear suspension rear shock mount units drops ride height 2", FUJ HD adj sway bar, 1.5” rear billet wheel spacers, Polaris nerfs, bumper and rear rack, Yoshi competition slip on, Pro Taper bars, acerbis hand guards, Trailtech GPS with billet protector. KTM throttle / Honda Front master cylinder and shorty lever / 41mm carb & hi flow intake runner / big filter / Billet FCR transition ring. Modified rear spring package / rear revalve.

next round of mods: 8/33 cam, Hi Flow water pump and 540 cylinder / wossner piston waiting to go in, fastway 3 steering damper ala KTM setup, custom header using KTM XC header as a starting piece, light flywheel setup.
    gotta have something to modify this year !

LTR 450
    , My Wife Nicola's ride & my back up mxer - 493 BB / JE piston / special order Yoshi motard cams / custom fueling map / tcs LT ZPS front end setup, TCS rear ZPS revalve / ims tank / TB exhaust / power commander / proflo - K&N / 14 deg flexx's / race nerfs / armadillo bumper/ Denton damper, next round of mods: ported head and carillo rod...... the clark kent of the ATV trio ! 210 hrs and still going strong ! the BB kit transformed this machine, it hauls the mail now !!!!

A garage full of wheels and tires for them all........ speedway / sand / MX / cross country, over 30 at last count all on rims ready to rock

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013
    NZ Vets (40+) North Island MX champ 08, 09, 12 & 13
    NZ TT champ Vets (40+) 06, 08, 09,12 & 13
    Auckland ATV Club Sprint Series Champ 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 13
    hope to get a good season in for the remainder of 2014.......finding time to ride being the biggest problem !

running hot: have you bleed the cooling system properly ??? at the head.

mino - http://www.mino.nl/component/virtuemart/?p...;category_id=68

KTM 505 SX: Web cams / 13.5:1 custom CP / balanced and modded crank / custom Vortex X10 ignition / Ported head / 43.5mm billet centre bored carb / KTM Akrapovic muffler / Mino hi vol water pump / 12 deg flexx's / houser stem / elka 5 / PEP PB1's and PEP LT rear / Walsh Flow A Arms / Quad tech seat & Foam / CF nose / FCI intake / relocated batt box / KTM Bill header / KTM factory SS Oil Pump setup / Manual cam chain tensioner Next round of mods: oil cooler........ the NEW TOP DOG 114 hrs…. best race engine I've owned

KTM 554 XC
    : sx style crank, light weight SXF flywheel, TT sxf stator, steel linered cylinder, custom JE piston ceramic coating, plus 1 ported head / 807 cam, 43.5mm carb. Mino hi vol water pump. KTM Bill custom exhaust, FCI intake, JB A Arms, PEP PB1s front LT and rear , Lonestar axle, 12 deg Flexx's, CF nose, elka 3 steering damper, KTM factory nerfs, factory white plastic and graphics / gell cell battery Next round of mods: oil cooler........

, lonestar plus 2 A Arms, cut MXR front shocks (minus 1 ") with ZPS / ttripple rate, FUJ rear suspension rear shock mount units drops ride height 2", FUJ HD adj sway bar, 1.5” rear billet wheel spacers, Polaris nerfs, bumper and rear rack, Yoshi competition slip on, Pro Taper bars, acerbis hand guards, Trailtech GPS with billet protector. KTM throttle / Honda Front master cylinder and shorty lever / 41mm carb & hi flow intake runner / big filter / Billet FCR transition ring. Modified rear spring package / rear revalve.

next round of mods: 8/33 cam, Hi Flow water pump and 540 cylinder / wossner piston waiting to go in, fastway 3 steering damper ala KTM setup, custom header using KTM XC header as a starting piece, light flywheel setup.

LTR 450
    , My Wife Nicola's ride & my back up mxer - 493 BB / JE piston / special order Yoshi motard cams / custom fueling map / tcs LT ZPS front end setup, TCS rear ZPS revalve / ims tank / TB exhaust / power commander / proflo - K&N / 14 deg flexx's / race nerfs / armadillo bumper/ Denton damper, next round of mods: ported head and carillo rod...... the clark kent of the ATV trio ! 210 hrs and still going strong ! the BB kit transformed this machine, it hauls the mail now !!!!

A garage full of wheels and tires for them all........ speedway / sand / MX / cross country, over 30 at last count all on rims ready to rock

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013
    hope to get a good season in for the remainder of 2014.......finding time to ride being the biggest problem !

Senior Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Orange View Post
    The most common upgrade factory cam is the 8/06 out of the 560 SMR. Other factory cams that are more agressive are the 8/33, and 8/07. Hot cams also makes a grind for this engine, it's a little more agressive/ topend heavy than the 8/07 but with more bottom end loss. Don't even consider the 8/07 unless you got some serious carb and head porting done. Experienced mechanics only need apply for the installation of the 8/07 too. Clearances need checking etc.....

what makes the 8/07 so special? if the hot cam has more top end than the 8/07, does it need special attention too?
    i ask, because i will be installing a 540 kit and a cam soon also. a few buddies have the bb with the hc, and i like how they run, but am open to maybe a different one.

Senior Member Member
    Can't say on the others but I have a hotcam one. It loses so much bottom end it just sucks. You have to constantly keep near rev limiter or you're just not in the power. Just think of it as a high strung 2-stroke. It takes away the feel of a 4-stroke. If you're on a high speed mx track or wide open area though, then you may like it.
    2003 Cannondale Cannibal: Modded for MX
    2003 Cannondale Cannibal: Modded for MX
    2003 Cannondale Cannibal: Mostly Stock Playquad
    2008 KTM 450XC: MX Dasa National Build: Laegers Arms, Reworked Ohlins, Rath Hubs/Bumpers, Quadtech Hood, Dasa FULL Exhaust, CP 13.5:1 Piston, Ported, +1mm Oversized Valves, Lightened Crank, HotCam, Hipers, Pirelli Tires, Precision Stabilizer, KTM Nerfs, Jettrim Seat, Black Plastics - SOLD!

8/07 considered to be superior to the HC

KTM 554 XC

LTR 450

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013

Senior Member Member
    i am strictly a duner. so maybe a 8/33 would be better? what about the 8/07 makes it an "experienced mechanics only"?
    im not to concerned with bottom end. i want a strong mid with good top/over-rev.

Quote Originally Posted by sandshredder View Post
    i am strictly a duner. so maybe a 8/33 would be better? what about the 8/07 makes it an "experienced mechanics only"?
    im not to concerned with bottom end. i want a strong mid with good top/over-rev.

the 8/07 has more overlap so valve clearance checks are needed when the piston is at TDC (99% sure it wont work with a stock piston)

if you want real dune type rev power then look at the 820 WEBs.

KTM 554 XC

LTR 450

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013

The last 8/07 I in installed in an atv head needed the head notched for clearance because the lobes are so big. Also measured coil springs and they had coil binding issues also. valve pocket depth needs to be checked also in this engine exhaust valves only had about .085" clearance. The minimum being .080". not much extra clearance there for accidental rev limiter trips caused by missed shifts or panic revs. That's why I say for experienced mechanics only. If you don't know how to check this stuff, have a pro do it. Don't get me wrong, these cams can make the big power in an engine properly set up with more cc's, compression, carb etc.. But it'll be a very expensive mistake to think you can just drop it in and install it.

Senior Member Member
    sounds like the 8/07 is out for me. thanks big orange for explaining that. its exactly what i wanted to know.

a couple of my buddies did the factory 540 kit with the hot cam. i like how they run, but if i can 1 up them....

i'm looking at going with the thumper kit, for better comp, and doing some research to figure out if there might be a cam i would like better. i just sold a honda 450r that was ported with a hc2. i really liked the difference that cam made in my 450r.

Junior Member Rookie
    Thank you all. as soon as the 540 Kit, is the official ktm
    I am aware that there are 3 trees camshaft in ktm factory, but I still not is which I have, my tree of cams does not any references so do not is which is the only serious solution someone tell me that measures give the camshaft or something so.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    I just posted this in another thread.

there is one cam I forgot the cam out of the KTM rfs 250exc. It's a stange cam but I would use it in place of the hotcam anyday. I would call it a stage 2.5 revs out very well and makes decent bottom end when compaired to the hotcam

we consider the cams as follows

Stage 1 8/06 good all around power works good on a stock motor with a slight bottom end loss 6% and cross over is 4500rpms then you pick up 4% at the top end. It is good for stock and slightly modified motors

Stage 2 hotcam 525 cam (HotCams calls it a stage 1) we consider it a stage 2 cam to only be used with a high comp piston 12.5+. A 525 hot cam installed in a stock 525 will loose 17% power at 2500 rpms cross over is at 7000rpms and at 9800rpms you will pick up 9% so it is a pure topend cam. high compression and big bore will help the bottomend power losses.

Stage 3 the 8/33 is a good all around cam works best with big bore and or higher compression pistons but give better performance all the way through. It doesnt have to bottom end loss like the Hot Cam does

Stage 4 the 8/07 should be used with 97mm or bigger high compression or 99mm+ any compression. power is broad and smooth.

Our stage 5 cam is custom for higher compression and big bores. we can set it up for torque and strong migrange with good over rev. requires high lift valve springs. This is the one Polaris Bob loves.

Our stage 6 cam is a new one we just came out with and is custom as well. It is for out bigger kits 600cc+ and is mainly for mid to top power. It has decent bottom end but very strong mid to top. mostly used for dunning and dragracing. requires high lift valve springs.

we can taylor any of the cams power out put by indexing them in and changing the cam timing. Any cam install should have the valve to piston clearance checked before running. Most piston manufactures dont cut the valve reliefs deep enough for BIG cams. We have our Custom CP pistons made with valve pockets deep enough that it's not a worry (but should still be checked) until you get in to changing the cam timing installing out stage 6 cam.

I have seen off the shelf proX, wiseco, JE, vertex and wossner all have problems with any cam over stage 2. Plus if you add O/S valves you need to make sure the diameter of the relief is big enough as well.

Member Rookie
    I was wondering should I switch over to the 8/33 cam does it have nearly as good top end/over rev as the hot cam I like it right now for drag racing but even with hc piston my bottom is really weak its hard to ride in the trails unless I am above 4000 to 5000 rpms so if I went with the 8/33 would I still have real good top end cause right now once I hit some where around 5000 rpms it tries to throw me off the back but any thing real low its really really mellow
    2010 outlaw 525 sra KTM powerd
    E85 fuel
    K&N right on the carb
    Skat trak 22-11-8 hauler 8 paddle

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    i just thought to add my 2 cents, im running the 8/33 cam with higher comp in my 525 and i have to say WOW!!! very impressed with it. lots of bottom end power and TONNES of top end definitly good for more open area's and it was a drop in with the high comp piston might have some clearance issues with the stock piston though.
    2009 KTM 525XC #841

Brad Mulvey Mod SX arms, SX axle, SX brake lines, KTM Big Nerfs, KTM Hood, Motoworks SR4 slip on, akro manifold, ESR heat gauge, 42mm bored carb, hrc kit, YFZ float bowl w/ adjustable leak jet, FCI "like" Intake w/ RC-5000 K&N filter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links