$10 TORS bypass
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: $10 TORS bypass

Member Rookie

Time for me to make an attempt at contributing something useful.

I've been trying to figure out a way to bypass the TORS switch at the throttle. I want it to be automatic, that way I can't forget to push the switch or whatever.

So I cut the wires off the switch and played around with how they work. What I found was they need to be open for the quad to start, but it won't rev past idle when they are open. They need to be closed for the quad to run properly once started. So I need them unconnected to start and connected to run. Easy enough. I just need a relay to operate this, but you need a normally closed relay, meaning it connects the wires when it does not have a signal and disconnects them when it does have a signal. Now you need something to signal the relay but only when you are pressing the starter button. I tested the clutch switch and found that it only gets power when the started button is pressed. Perfect, I've been wanting to eliminate that anyway. I found a relay at NAPA, part number AR143, for $7.50. It's actually a 5 pin relay, meaning you can wire it to be normal open or normal closed.

First thing to do is cut the wires at both the clutch switch and TORS switch. I cut them about 8 inches for the connector.

The yellow and brown wires go to the clutch switch, strip them, twist them together, and crimp a female spade terminal on them. By twisting them together, you have bypassed the clutch switch and we are going to use the spade terminal to activate the relay.
    The two black wires go to the TORS switch. Strip them and put a female spade terminal on each one.

Grab your relay. Connect the clutch switch wires to the "85" terminal on the relay. Connect the one TORS wire to the "87a" terminal and the other to the "30" terminal. Now you will need a few inch of wire for a ground on terminal "86". Run that to a chassis ground. The last terminal won't be used.

Now bolt it down to the frame. Sorry for the blurry pic. It's bolted down next to the fuse panel under the hood. You can also see how I ran the ground to the other bolt.

I also smeared a layer of liquid electrical tape over the terminal for protection.

Now you are good to go. When you press the start button, it sends power to the clutch switch wires, which activated the relay, which disconnects the TORS wires. Quad starts, you let off the starter button, the relay losses power, and it goes back to closed mode, connecting the TORS wires and letting the quad run normal.

This still needs to be test riden, but the garage dyno (rev test) says everthing checks out fine. Hopefully I get it out next weekend and can do a followup.

ETA, this has been working great since installed, but I did upgrade to a weatherpak style relay.
    Last edited by mc_racer; 07-31-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    OXC/MOC/AXC #499

Senior Member Member
    Thats pretty cool. Man how long did this take u to figure out?

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict

Very nice!!!
    08 525 XC -mine SOLD
    05 Yfz 450- wife SOLD

08 Raptor 250- Daughters SOLD

10 Raptor 250- Daughters SOLD

Heavy Equipment Mechanic- Vermeer

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Member Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by 84jrm View Post
    Thats pretty cool. Man how long did this take u to figure out?
    Not too long, it took a little while to figure out that the throttle switch open to start and closed to run. I'm not overly impressed with the relay, but it works to test the concept. I'm looking for a weatherpack style 5 pin relay. Haven't found one yet that has a mounting tab.
    OXC/MOC/AXC #499

Junior Member Rookie
    wwww.route66supply.com

Quote Originally Posted by mc_racer View Post
    Not too long, it took a little while to figure out that the throttle switch open to start and closed to run. I'm not overly impressed with the relay, but it works to test the concept. I'm looking for a weatherpack style 5 pin relay. Haven't found one yet that has a mounting tab.
    they are sold seperatly

http://www.route66supply.com/store/page14.html

http://www.route66supply.com/store/product81.html
    Tim Davis09 525 xc/640cc with +2 valves. srm cyl.mods-eagle eye hid lighttrail tech hid lightsthumper crank ventct pipefci intakemonster coilthumper racing 640cc43mm carb rocket rons triple rate up grade

Member Rookie

That is what I'm looking for. Thanks
    OXC/MOC/AXC #499

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    heres a direct link to the page showing the relay and connectors.

http://www.route66supply.com/store/page85.html
    99mm thumper cylinder 15:1 comp, Crankworks billet stroker, Custom Carrillo short rod, Racers edge +4ti head, 48mm hsr carb, Shortened and stretched trx fci intake, Custom programmed vortex

296lbs ready to ride. This might be the fastest ktm duner in the world

Well I didn't want to pay $14 to ship it from route 66 supply so I found this one on ebay for a lot less. There are more available from the same seller. Here is a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/waterproof-...sQ5fAccessories
    99mm thumper cylinder 15:1 comp, Crankworks billet stroker, Custom Carrillo short rod, Racers edge +4ti head, 48mm hsr carb, Shortened and stretched trx fci intake, Custom programmed vortex

Member Rookie

Good find, I'm ordering one also.
    If anyone gets a chance to test ride this before I do, please post the results.
    OXC/MOC/AXC #499

good job
    built 400 ex 461, all done up, sleeeeper. 47hp, 32lb/ft... sold

450xc, baldwin head w/Ti valves... motoworks full system... never done...
    i may ask a lot questions, but i also know some things.
    i dont capitalize, or punctuate or use spell check, but i will joke sometimes about spellcheck

Junior Member Rookie
    Has anyone ridden for a while and can confirm this works please?

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mon21x View Post
    Has anyone ridden for a while and can confirm this works please?
    I run a relay that works off of my starter button connected to the tors but it doesn't use the clutch wires, basically works the same though and I've been riding with it like that for awhile. So far so good!

Junior Member Rookie
    Thanks. I had a problem with the Motion Pro button this week, it's a bit wet here in the UK!! I will fit the relay conversion and hopefully eliminate the problem for good.

Senior Member Member
    i did pretty much the same write up like 5 months ago haha
    http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/invision/ind...43&hl=relay
    08 450xc, sx a-arms/seat/steeringstem, white plastics, ktm full nerf bars, maijer front hood, elka stabilizer, flexx bars, float evols up front, lte slip-on, trx90 throttle.

2011 sponsors:
    ODI grips, smx optics, Scott usa, DWT, cycra

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by nibriel View Post
    That is a good write-up too, wish I found it earlier! (In fact, I think yours is probably correct, do terminals 85/86 need to be reversed in this sticky link?)

Member Rookie

Dangit, I wished I had seen that earlier, would have saved me some work.
    Quote Originally Posted by nibriel View Post
    OXC/MOC/AXC #499

Senior Member Member
    I am pretty sure it doesn't matter what way the coil is hooked up, as long as there is power going through it, it works
    08 450xc, sx a-arms/seat/steeringstem, white plastics, ktm full nerf bars, maijer front hood, elka stabilizer, flexx bars, float evols up front, lte slip-on, trx90 throttle.

2011 sponsors:

my weatherpack relay came today. I may try to figure this out this weekend and give you a ride report.

just finished mine up today and it fired right up. One thing i thought it would take care of but didn't is while cranking you still cant press the throttle or it will cut spark. Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

Senior Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0fox View Post
    just finished mine up today and it fired right up. One thing i thought it would take care of but didn't is while cranking you still cant press the throttle or it will cut spark. Does anyone know how to get rid of this?
    it should have fixed that. mine did, cuz there is no sensor in the throttle housing sending info that you are pushing the throttle anymore. maybe yours just doesnt like the extra fuel trying to start?

2011 sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links