$10 TORS bypass
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: $10 TORS bypass

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Yes it will.
    99mm thumper cylinder 15:1 comp, Crankworks billet stroker, Custom Carrillo short rod, Racers edge +4ti head, 48mm hsr carb, Shortened and stretched trx fci intake, Custom programmed vortex

296lbs ready to ride. This might be the fastest ktm duner in the world

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict
    Sorry I am a newbie to KTM's.... I know I have to pull the clutch in to start. But what exactly does TORS stand for? If you press the throttle it won't start? Why?

Junior Member Rookie
    "speedster577
    This will let it start with the throttle at say 1/4 open ?????????????????"

No it won't. The stock throttle has two electrical devices connected to it. One is the microswitch contained in the throttle housing. This switch is bypassed with the TORS override method described elsewhere in the forum. (TORS = throttle overide system. Stock (before modification) TORS functionality is also explained elsewhere in the forum). The second is the throttle position sensor (TPS). By way of the cable which attaches the throttle to the carb. When the throttle is moved, the TPS moves. So, even though the throttle housing microswitch is bypassed (it's function performed automatically by a relay), you cannot open the throttle while cranking the engine.
    I own a 2009 525 XC and definitely have a clutch switch. If I turn the key on, then push the starter button, nothing happens. If I do the same thing and then pull the clutch, the starter turns. The microswitch attached to the clutch housing is a safety feature which keeps someone from firing the engine in gear with the clutch engaged. The TORS override method found elsewhere in the forum uses the clutch switch (the power going to it, anyway) to energize the relay which bypasses the throttle-mounted microswitch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Member Rookie
    Found a weather pack relay at Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel Parts and Accessories - Geno's Garage its hella branded but made in china 14.95 found it when i got the catalog from ordering oil filters for my cummins

Senior Member Member
    A question for you electrical heads. Could a relay be installed to delete the tps while the starter button is being pushed.

Member Rookie

Maybe, you'd have to put a meter on the TPS and see what it does.
    OXC/MOC/AXC #499

Member Rookie
    so my quad just started to bog anything over 1/4 throttle like you just turned of the ignition does this sound like the tors swithch in the throttle housing??

Member Rookie
    guys i cannot get this mod to work for me. am i using the wrong relay? $10 TORS bypass-securedownload.jpeg Also the wires coming from my clutch are blue and black not yellow and brown. It turns over but there is no spark. Please help.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Are you using the wires from the clutch switch or the ones going to the throttle micro switch. This override is for the throttle micro switch.
    450 xc Desert Off-Road Racer. KTM 525 kit, Carrillo rod, Teixeira Max Clearance A-Arms, Precision Pro Steering dampner, PRM full skid, Hiper beadlocks, Maxis Razr 2, Hiflow water pump, Pro-taper, Motion Pro Twist throttle.

Member Rookie
    I have the clutch wires tied together and hooked up to the (86), I have one of the microswitch wires going to the (30) and one to the (87a), and i have the ground going to the (85). Am I doing this right, or is this the wrong relay?

I already told you. YOU HAVE THE WRONG WIRES.
    kamyk likes this.
    450 xc Desert Off-Road Racer. KTM 525 kit, Carrillo rod, Teixeira Max Clearance A-Arms, Precision Pro Steering dampner, PRM full skid, Hiper beadlocks, Maxis Razr 2, Hiflow water pump, Pro-taper, Motion Pro Twist throttle.

Junior Member Rookie
    How many amps should the relay be. I've seen 20 and 40, I'm not the best when it comes to electrical so not sure if it will make a difference.
    Thank You guys for all the help, This is a great thread
    EROK..Oxnard, CA
    '08 450XC
    FMF 4.1 Slip On
    Pro Armor Nerf Bars
    Flexx Bars

Member Rookie
    Has anyone experienced batteries going dead with this mod? Did this about 2 years ago and been through 5 batteries (anti gravity, yuasa, Walmart).

What are some options to improve battery life without having the TORS set up again? Dirt bike cdi? Dirt works 24v?
    2008 525 XC - Thumper 570 Kit - Dual Looney Tuned Exhaust - 41.5 bored carb and mods (Fast64ranchero) - 833 Cam - Motion Pro Twist Throttle - Stock Ohlins redone by Rocket Ron - Antigravity Battery

I would try and measure the current draw from the battery with and with out the tors hooked up because I don't think this mod is causing your problems. There is no way for the relay to draw any power at all when the start button is not pressed if hooked up like the OP stated.
    2008 ktm 525xc: 95mm CP 13:1 piston, 41mm carb, 807 cam, +1 Kimblewhite valves, Racers Edge porting, FMF exhaust with powerbomb, SX intake, Crank Works Balanced Crank, DJH pressure feed for right main bearing and cup for left main bearing, mino hiflow water pump, All 4 Racing A-arms, LSR Axle, Rocket Ron Suspension

My 2014 Sponsors:
    GPS Offroad Products, Elka Suspension, Risk Racing, Twin Air, Lonestar Racing, GoPro

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by yamasaki450 View Post
    I have the clutch wires tied together and hooked up to the (86), I have one of the microswitch wires going to the (30) and one to the (87a), and i have the ground going to the (85). Am I doing this right, or is this the wrong relay?

did you ever get this figured out? Do you know what he meant by "wrong wires"

thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links