Air intake mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Air intake mod

Junior Member Rookie

Due to not many after market filters being on the market for better air intake, I've decided to modify the airbox to increase the volume of air that can reach the standard filter.

This has increased the horsepower that I notice when racing flat track, It's elliminated bogging down at the start and no hesitsation on the throttle response from low to high.

These are simple steps of just removing some plastic and covering the holes with stainless steel micro air filter mesh.

Please leave your comments on this mod.
    clyde and uhoh like this.
    Rath sway bar.
    Ohlins dampener.
    Re sprung front & rear.

<div align='center'>http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/s.../ktm-bitch.jpg </div>

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict

Nice job. I don't know why it would come from the factory so restrictive in the 1st place.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Very professional looking job, really nice!
    Ford Mechanic by day, anything else after hours.

2009 KTM 450SX ATV

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Sweet!!!

What's up with your bar [ad and the staock factory light holder? Pics Please?

That's a f**'n great image does it come as a sticker? My truck is envious she wishes she had one on her back glass!!

Junior Member Rookie

Where can you get that stainless steel air filter mess?

Administrator KTMATVHQ Guru
    Bump on the mesh, thats a very tidy setup.

I have 1 1/4" holes drilled in the same locations that I can fit with black rubber body plugs if ti gets to wet. The mesh is a great ideal and durable to I bet, simple wipe with a brush on dry dusty days and a quick hose out in muddy conditions.

NICE
    KTM 505 SX: Web cams / 13.5:1 custom CP / balanced and modded crank / custom Vortex X10 ignition / Ported head / 43.5mm billet centre bored carb / KTM Akrapovic muffler / Mino hi vol water pump / 12 deg flexx's / houser stem / elka 5 / PEP PB1's and PEP LT rear / Walsh Flow A Arms / Quad tech seat & Foam / CF nose / FCI intake / relocated batt box / KTM Bill header / KTM factory SS Oil Pump setup / Manual cam chain tensioner Next round of mods: oil cooler........ the NEW TOP DOG 114 hrs…. best race engine I've owned

KTM 554 XC
    : sx style crank, light weight SXF flywheel, TT sxf stator, steel linered cylinder, custom JE piston ceramic coating, plus 1 ported head / 807 cam, 43.5mm carb. Mino hi vol water pump. KTM Bill custom exhaust, FCI intake, JB A Arms, PEP PB1s front LT and rear , Lonestar axle, 12 deg Flexx's, CF nose, elka 3 steering damper, KTM factory nerfs, factory white plastic and graphics / gell cell battery Next round of mods: oil cooler........

gotta stop spending $$$ on these KTM's...…..

Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS - 2011
    , lonestar plus 2 A Arms, cut MXR front shocks (minus 1 ") with ZPS / ttripple rate, FUJ rear suspension rear shock mount units drops ride height 2", FUJ HD adj sway bar, 1.5” rear billet wheel spacers, Polaris nerfs, bumper and rear rack, Yoshi competition slip on, Pro Taper bars, acerbis hand guards, Trailtech GPS with billet protector. KTM throttle / Honda Front master cylinder and shorty lever / 41mm carb & hi flow intake runner / big filter / Billet FCR transition ring. Modified rear spring package / rear revalve.

next round of mods: 8/33 cam, Hi Flow water pump and 540 cylinder / wossner piston waiting to go in, fastway 3 steering damper ala KTM setup, custom header using KTM XC header as a starting piece, light flywheel setup.
    gotta have something to modify this year !

LTR 450
    , My Wife Nicola's ride & my back up mxer - 493 BB / JE piston / special order Yoshi motard cams / custom fueling map / tcs LT ZPS front end setup, TCS rear ZPS revalve / ims tank / TB exhaust / power commander / proflo - K&N / 14 deg flexx's / race nerfs / armadillo bumper/ Denton damper, next round of mods: ported head and carillo rod...... the clark kent of the ATV trio ! 210 hrs and still going strong ! the BB kit transformed this machine, it hauls the mail now !!!!

A garage full of wheels and tires for them all........ speedway / sand / MX / cross country, over 30 at last count all on rims ready to rock

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013
    NZ Vets (40+) North Island MX champ 08, 09, 12 & 13
    NZ TT champ Vets (40+) 06, 08, 09,12 & 13
    Auckland ATV Club Sprint Series Champ 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 13
    hope to get a good season in for the remainder of 2014.......finding time to ride being the biggest problem !

Junior Member Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by craig3102 View Post
    Where can you get that stainless steel air filter mess?

Most stainless steel fab places can get it or have it.
    Rath sway bar.
    Ohlins dampener.
    Re sprung front & rear.

<div align='center'>http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/s.../ktm-bitch.jpg </div>

Junior Member Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-craig View Post
    Bump on the mesh, thats a very tidy setup.

I have 1 1/4" holes drilled in the same locations that I can fit with black rubber body plugs if ti gets to wet. The mesh is a great ideal and durable to I bet, simple wipe with a brush on dry dusty days and a quick hose out in muddy conditions.

NICE
    The mesh is actually micro filter mesh which you can get in different sizes. I have a very fine micro mesh in mine to stop sand and dirt witch nearly stops water as well. The side panels on the filter box stops must of the mud and that’s why there is none on the bottom of the air box

Rath sway bar.
    Ohlins dampener.
    Re sprung front & rear.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzydog View Post
    The mesh is actually micro filter mesh which you can get in different sizes. I have a very fine micro mesh in mine to stop sand and dirt witch nearly stops water as well. The side panels on the filter box stops must of the mud and that’s why there is none on the bottom of the air box
    that is a very profesional looking mod man nice!!
    tits tires and vp fuel

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by KTM RIDAA View Post
    that is a very profesional looking mod man nice!!

what did u use to stick it on?? some kind of strong glue??
    tits tires and vp fuel

Junior Member Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by KTM RIDAA View Post
    what did u use to stick it on?? some kind of strong glue??
    Just QUICK GRIP glue its the most durable
    Rath sway bar.
    Ohlins dampener.
    Re sprung front & rear.

Just a quick one. On wet days, to you get much water going in through the air intakes you've drilled ?
    www.ATVriders.pl

Sponsors: Lonestars, Fourwerx, KTM, Precision, Quady Srem Racing Team, PEP suspension

Junior Member Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by kamyk View Post
    Just a quick one. On wet days, to you get much water going in through the air intakes you've drilled ?

No not much at all because of the side plates that cover the screens on the air box. The screen is that fine it repels if hit sidewards, water only enters if hits direct on. If you look I have send another post on the drain hole that’s in the bottom of the air box. If you do get water in there.

Rath sway bar.
    Ohlins dampener.
    Re sprung front & rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazerman View Post
    I can only get one code to work at a time, how are you getting the additional 5% with the GNCCVET code?

Quote Originally Posted by grizzydog View Post
    No not much at all because of the side plates that cover the screens on the air box. The screen is that fine it repels if hit sidewards, water only enters if hits direct on. If you look I have send another post on the drain hole that's in the bottom of the air box. If you do get water in there.
    Cool, I would deficiently do it your way. Just need to get my hands on my quad. What do you guy's think if instead of microfilter mesh use twin air filters similar to what my mate did to his LTR ? I'm taking about side intakes.

www.ATVriders.pl

Sponsors: Lonestars, Fourwerx, KTM, Precision, Quady Srem Racing Team, PEP suspension

Quote Originally Posted by kamyk View Post
    Cool, I would deficiently do it your way. Just need to get my hands on my quad. What do you guy's think if instead of microfilter mesh use twin air filters similar to what my mate did to his LTR ? I'm taking about side intakes.

yea thats what i was gonna do it should work pretty good and them twin air things have to be waterproof right??
    tits tires and vp fuel

I've been running those same twin air vents in my ktms since last year. The ktm plastic is a little thick for the snap in style holder they use so I safety wired mine in to make sure i don't lose one.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Quote Originally Posted by quad97 View Post
    I've been running those same twin air vents in my ktms since last year. The ktm plastic is a little thick for the snap in style holder they use so I safety wired mine in to make sure i don't lose one.
    Could you post pix, please ??
    www.ATVriders.pl

Thanks for the mod idea. I used the same type of stainless metal, the only difference is I also used SS screws to help keep the screens attached.
    2013 Sponsors: GPS Offroad Products, Rath Racing, Fasst Company, BioTearOffs, EKS X-Brand Goggles,Twin Air, BRM Offroad Graphics, GoPro, Arizona Motocity, Leatt Brace, FourWerx Carbon, Motorex USA.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ450XC View Post
    Thanks for the mod idea. I used the same type of stainless metal, the only difference is I also used SS screws to help keep the screens attached.

does anybody know the link to the twin air air box vents??

thanks!
    tits tires and vp fuel

Senior Member Member
    Stainless steel bolts?? If you use the glue he recommended there was no need for bolts. I did this to my quad and the glue works great. I got it for 8.00 a tube and the stainless mesh I got off ebay for 20 a square foot which is plenty to do the whole mod if you don't screw it up.
    MACHINE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links