Air intake mod
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Air intake mod

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    ^^^ x2
    built 400 ex 461, all done up, sleeeeper. 47hp, 32lb/ft... sold

450xc, baldwin head w/Ti valves... motoworks full system... never done...
    i may ask a lot questions, but i also know some things.
    i dont capitalize, or punctuate or use spell check, but i will joke sometimes about spellcheck

Here is what I did today. Thanks bronco for hooking it up. I just cut it how I wanted it and used spray adhesive on the box then stuck it down. Perfect. Just another little bit of protection. I left the forward two open for debris to fall out.

09 505sx Sold but not forgotten!

09 450sx Sold "DAMN IT"

2010 sponsors, Ktm Northamerica, Fasst Co, DWT racing, Hinson cc, EVS sports, Gaerne, Action motorsports.

Senior Member Member
    Glad to get some use out of it. Since it not as fine as some I doubled it up on the sides of my airbox for extra protection, still seems like it will let alot air through.

Got 2 more sections if anyones interested.
    450XC, 12.5:1 540 kit, Baldwin Promo head, 08/06 cam, HMF Slip on, 41MM DJH carb, FCI intake, PB Oil Cooler, Eagle Eye HID

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by sticko2 View Post
    grizzydog,

have just finished doing your air intake mod to my 505sx rear plastics (many thanks btw) and wondered if you thought of modifying the snorkel, by cutting the bit that goes up under the seat and applying the ss mesh to it also. this way the air box is 100% sealed with the mesh. this should mean absolutely no large particles in the airbox at all.

Hi there
    Looks great but instead of doing that get rid of the rubber boot and just glue it to the inside of the air box, but make sure you fold the top section about three or four times to make the top a bit stiffer wre the filter comes down. if you need pics i can send them to ya.
    Rath sway bar.
    Ohlins dampener.
    Re sprung front & rear.

<div align='center'>http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/s.../ktm-bitch.jpg </div>

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict

Finally cut holes in my airbox and completely screened it all in. I double layered it all. Curious to see what my air filter looks like after riding now. Also curious to see if the bike breathes better, maybe notice a little more power...

[attachment=2076:IMG_0966.jpg][attachment=2078:IMG_0968__800x600_.jpg]
    [attachment=2077:IMG_0967__800x600_.jpg]

Thanks guys for the ideas.

I know the glue looks a little sloppy, gonna trim it up a little tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air intake mod-img_0966.jpg   Air intake mod-img_0967__800x600_.jpg   Air intake mod-img_0968__800x600_.jpg  

dropcorr nice job mate. Let us know if you fell any difference or gains ?
    www.ATVriders.pl

Sponsors: Lonestars, Fourwerx, KTM, Precision, Quady Srem Racing Team, PEP suspension

Quote Originally Posted by kamyk View Post
    dropcorr nice job mate. Let us know if you fell any difference or gains ?

Thanks, I'll be sure to let you know.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    why dont you just you use the twinair "outerware" ktm offers
    ktm atv 525xc 2009 54.8hp, 40tq with .full hmf OR 53.5hp, 45tq with hmf header/akro pipe, 806 cam, custom kn filter set up, hrc needle 155mj, 1st clip, 40 pilot,11.77afr, 24V setup, SX swinger, Elka factory/track system rear(lokking for something better!!!LOL), Fox evol dcs front, full hiper wheel, Flexx bars, rox riser, precision stabiliser, Odi grip, lefty throttle lever, ect ect

Martin Whitty# 222
    2011 going PRO in the fmsq.net series
    2010 2nd in semi-pro fmsq.net series (gncc like)
    and 11th OVERALL
    2009 finishes 2nd 30+ fmsq.net series
    2008 4th 30+ fmsq.net
    finished 5th at 2007 baja1000 40th edition
    baja 1000 OUR teaser
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTqPEpVOex4

Quote Originally Posted by walty View Post
    why dont you just you use the twinair "outerware" ktm offers

The outerware may work fine but I didnt want to put something over my filter that could restict even more. Plus I would have to clean it every time. I just went to the track on monday and with this setup I didnt have to clean my filter after I rode. I swear it looked as if I didnt even ride. This is the 1st time that my filter didnt have dirt on it, especially the back of the filter. Ill prob clean my filter every other time now. I highly recommend the mesh mod.

Ill have to ride in really dusty conditions to see what it looks like, obviously if the filter gets dirty then ill clean it as need be.

Is it possible that I may have to rejet now that I cut holes in my air box? It seemed like my bike was slightly breaking up in mid to top 3rd gear. It usually doesnt break up at all in that range. There has to be a big difference in the air intake compared to a stock box pulling under the seat. If anyones come across this before let me know, thanks!

Member Rookie

Super Moderator KTMATVHQ Guru

yes you can use this, search about there is a thread on it. you have to mod a bit but its definatlety do-able

Member Rookie
    any way to improve air intake without compromising water inflow into the box?

any of the seats made to improve this?

more airflow would be great but not at the expense of having to build ramps to jump all water crossings ... and learning better how to actually jump

Junior Member Rookie
    So I have looked around my hole town and no one has this mesh. could any body sell me some? or tell me where to get it online? thanks hopfully someone can help me out.

Junior Member Rookie
    Check out this product from Frogzskin.....

http://frogzskin.com/index.php?main_page=p...p;products_id=2

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzydog View Post
    Due to not many after market filters being on the market for better air intake, I've decided to modify the airbox to increase the volume of air that can reach the standard filter.

This has increased the horsepower that I notice when racing flat track, It's elliminated bogging down at the start and no hesitsation on the throttle response from low to high.

These are simple steps of just removing some plastic and covering the holes with stainless steel micro air filter mesh.

Please leave your comments on this mod.

Junior Member Rookie

Baldwin Racing says you do not need to modify the air box, only remove the baffle in back, he just finished my cam-head mod, he also did my carb.-I was asking about the air box and he said that box will flow more than enough air.

Junior Member Rookie
    nice, where can i find stainless steel mesh like you used?

Member Rookie

factory made product

heres a link for a product used in the snowmobile world all the time, would work perfect for this modAir intake mod-10032web.jpg

All Products : Frogzskin, Snowmobile Vent Protection
    2008 KTM 525xc motoworks full, SX a-arms & axle swap, DWT wheels, Razr mx tires, Rath racing flat blacks all the way around, Rox Speed fx fully set up handle bars w/ risers and barpad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links