Air intake mod
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Air intake mod

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    I did something similar to my last two LTR450s. THose things have a tiny airbox and need as much air as they can get. I used old outerwears that I had laying around. They worked pretty good I guess. I used super glue, which was kinda a pain in the ars.
    #33#

SOLD-2009 KTM450sx
    Quadtech hood,KTM/FMF exhaust , Ohlins stab, FASST Flexx bars, KTM full net nerfs,KTM map switch, Dirt bike CDI, KTM start button, Spastic number plates,Jettrim seat, Custom Lower A arms, Fox Evols and Podium, Ranchero Carb Mod, Custom battery relocation mount under front hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine15825 View Post
    Stainless steel bolts?? If you use the glue he recommended there was no need for bolts. I did this to my quad and the glue works great. I got it for 8.00 a tube and the stainless mesh I got off ebay for 20 a square foot which is plenty to do the whole mod if you don't screw it up.
    It was only like 7 bucks in screws and nuts and 5 for the steel at a metal shop. This way I can easily remove them in case I need to do some serious cleaning.
    2013 Sponsors: GPS Offroad Products, Rath Racing, Fasst Company, BioTearOffs, EKS X-Brand Goggles,Twin Air, BRM Offroad Graphics, GoPro, Arizona Motocity, Leatt Brace, FourWerx Carbon, Motorex USA.

Senior Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTM RIDAA View Post
    does anybody know the link to the twin air air box vents??

thanks!
    Twinair USA

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dallas View Post
    The folks I ride with would laugh if I put bolts in my plastics.... Maybe thats just around here though... Cost wasn't an issue. The twin air setup needs to be jimmy rigged to make it fit. This guy's mod is better. It almost looks like it belongs there to be honest. The louvers in the plastic hide it 100% Except for the cut out in the back and it looks damn good as well.
    MACHINE

The folks I ride with would laugh if I put bolts in my plastics.... Maybe thats just around here though... Cost wasn't an issue. The twin air setup needs to be jimmy rigged to make it fit. This guy's mod is better. It almost looks like it belongs there to be honest. The louvers in the plastic hide it 100% Except for the cut out in the back and it looks damn good as well.
    I'm with you on it bro, but still I would like to see some pix with twin air set-up. It seem more convenient as twin air filters can be replaced any time and during muddy conditions - they could be repalced with plastic cover that comes with it. Pix please !
    www.ATVriders.pl

Sponsors: Lonestars, Fourwerx, KTM, Precision, Quady Srem Racing Team, PEP suspension

I didn't think it looked to bad

2013 Sponsors: GPS Offroad Products, Rath Racing, Fasst Company, BioTearOffs, EKS X-Brand Goggles,Twin Air, BRM Offroad Graphics, GoPro, Arizona Motocity, Leatt Brace, FourWerx Carbon, Motorex USA.

Senior Member Member
    Yeah, it does look decent actually.... but what seals it between the screws?
    MACHINE

Yeah, it does look decent actually.... but what seals it between the screws?
    I put a thin layer of silicone to keep it sealed up. I just never had much luck with glue and the parts staying on. Figured a coulple screws wouldn't be too bad.

Senior Member Member
    Good deal. That quick grip glue rocks...
    MACHINE

Senior Member Member
    hey, i m thinking to install a twin air air box vents, but what can you say about those vents. do you recommend to use those ??

Senior Member Member
    hey is there any pics for a intake for dirt tracks?

Super Moderator KTMATVHQ Guru

grizzydog,

have just finished doing your air intake mod to my 505sx rear plastics (many thanks btw) and wondered if you thought of modifying the snorkel, by cutting the bit that goes up under the seat and applying the ss mesh to it also. this way the air box is 100% sealed with the mesh. this should mean absolutely no large particles in the airbox at all.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    I really like this idea. It does seem like the airbox is too restrictive considering the engine's performance. Now if K&N would finally come out with a replacement air filter we'd be good!

I don't know though, this probably sounds weird, but I hate cutting holes in my plastics. That's what keeps me from cutting my fenders too. I feel bad doing it.
    Dirt Fiend Racing (DFR) ~ www.dirtfiendracing.com

2009 KTM 450SX ATV
    Fox Racing Shox, Lonestar Racing, Motoworks, FCI, Maxxis/DWT, ITP/Hiper, Precision Stabilizers, Houser, Fasst Co ...

2004 Honda 400EX ATV
    PEP, Lonestar Racing, HD USA, Pro Armor, PRM, Pro Taper, ASV, Galfer ...

the rear hole is the only one visible so as long as you make a good job of it, its fine.

i actually think it looks quite good from the back with a big vent - slightly unique.

take your time and you will be fine.

Senior Member Member
    I cant find this stuff anywhere for sale in small quantities. Anyone know where you can get it online? or does anyone have some leftover?
    THanks
    450XC, 12.5:1 540 kit, Baldwin Promo head, 08/06 cam, HMF Slip on, 41MM DJH carb, FCI intake, PB Oil Cooler, Eagle Eye HID

ebay

search stainless steel mesh

Senior Member Member
    I found some on ebay but I had to buy a big ol sheet of it. If anyone is still looking I can send ya some. i cut it in approx 8X38" sections. Each one is more than enough to do the whole airbox and have some leftover.
    I folded it a couple times and should ship cheaply in a large padded envelope.
    $5 plus shipping.
    [attachment=1969:mesh.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    polarisrider150 likes this.
    450XC, 12.5:1 540 kit, Baldwin Promo head, 08/06 cam, HMF Slip on, 41MM DJH carb, FCI intake, PB Oil Cooler, Eagle Eye HID

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict

Quote Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
    I found some on ebay but I had to buy a big ol sheet of it. If anyone is still looking I can send ya some. i cut it in approx 8X38" sections. Each one is more than enough to do the whole airbox and have some leftover.
    I folded it a couple times and should ship cheaply in a large padded envelope.
    plus shipping.
    [attachment=1969:mesh.jpg]

pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by QuadRacer28 View Post
    I really like this idea. It does seem like the airbox is too restrictive considering the engine's performance. Now if K&N would finally come out with a replacement air filter we'd be good!

I don't know though, this probably sounds weird, but I hate cutting holes in my plastics. That's what keeps me from cutting my fenders too. I feel bad doing it.
    K&N does make a replacement filter.
    09 505sx Sold but not forgotten!

09 450sx Sold "DAMN IT"

2010 sponsors, Ktm Northamerica, Fasst Co, DWT racing, Hinson cc, EVS sports, Gaerne, Action motorsports.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict

Quote Originally Posted by driver311 View Post
    K&N does make a replacement filter.

Hey driver, I don't suppose you have a part # for that k&n air filter? I just went to their site and all they show are the oil filters. I would love to have a K N for my 525. Thanks man
    08 525 XC -mine SOLD
    05 Yfz 450- wife SOLD

08 Raptor 250- Daughters SOLD

10 Raptor 250- Daughters SOLD

Heavy Equipment Mechanic- Vermeer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links