Cdi box questions
    Junior Member Rookie

Cdi box questions

What's the difference in an 03 525exc and an 08 525xc cdi box

Junior Member Rookie
    I have the exc mounted but needs rebuild. I have an xc to go in its place. Both have their own stators but I only have the exc cdi. These are for karting so nothing else matters. Any other thoughts of the two engines or differences is appreciated.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    The XC quad system requires a throttle safety switch to run. Some people bypassed it, but it requires a switch to be wired into that circuit and be closed to start the engine and open once running to apply throttle. I don't know if the rev limiters or timing are different. If the rev limiter is different I would guess it's lower for the XC. I think I remember reading the quads have one of the heaviest cranks in the RFS engine series and the lower rev limit would help keep the cranks from spreading as bad.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    The earlier RFS bikes have a completely different ignition system. Wonít work.
    That quad cranks are the same as some of the late rfs bikes. Yes the weight does make it worse, mainly itís the high traction load. They had the same issues in the street builds on the bikes, thatís when welding the pin began. They tried to compinsate with the flywheel, so in Theory that does add more reciprocating mass and increases wear.
    DJH can tell you what CDIs can swap to what, I just donít the early bikes had a different electrical system.
    PS almost everyone overlooks the dyna tech CDI, same rev limit and stock curve, programmable if ya want. Deletes all factory safety features.

Junior Member Rookie
    Thank you guys. I will look at dybala tech

Junior Member Rookie
    Dyna tech

Sponsored Links