525 xc Dyno disappointment
    Member Rookie

525 xc Dyno disappointment

I just ran my 525 on the dyno and got 46 hp. My quad is currently running with bills full pipe, fci intake, 41 mm carb, 12.5 comp piston and an 807 cam. Asked around and found that the cam might be killing my quads bottom end. Im thinking about getting the 833 cam but for now ill be running my quad with the same mods but on a stock cam. What numbers should i expect from doing so and what do you guys think ?
    Your help is appreciated

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mubarak525 View Post
    I just ran my 525 on the dyno and got 46 hp. My quad is currently running with bills full pipe, fci intake, 41 mm carb, 12.5 comp piston and an 807 cam. Asked around and found that the cam might be killing my quads bottom end. Im thinking about getting the 833 cam but for now ill be running my quad with the same mods but on a stock cam. What numbers should i expect from doing so and what do you guys think ?
    Your help is appreciated
    https://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/xc-dy...#/topics/13890

With your setup you should be running 8/06 or 8/33 Cam.

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo525 View Post

Yea i figured, however im going out racing this weekend will the stock cam hold up or will it set me back even more ? With such mods and a stock cam what hp range should i be expecting? Im getting the 833 cam pretty soon

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Yea i figured, however im going out racing this weekend will the stock cam hold up or will it set me back even more ? With such mods and a stock cam what hp range should i be expecting? Im getting the 833 cam pretty soon
    Dyno numbers are relative and vary greatly on several different factors. I wouldn’t get too wrapped up in the numbers. But I would guess with your mods and a stock Cam that you would be 45-46 hp tuned at sea level. I would think your stock cam would hold up great. You will definitely get a big bump in your low end back out of the hole. That 8/07 Cam is for built motors +1, +2 ported and polished heads and higher compression race gas motors. Also, it’s not a drop in cam. Have you had head work done, bigger valves, rocker arms clearanced, etc? Not sure you can just throw the stocker back in there.......
    Last edited by steveo525; 02-17-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    46 hp? Thatís what I think they make stock. Your build should be making around 50-55 depending on sea level and some other stuff.
    1. That cam is WAY TOO BIG!!! If you are a woods rider or like a lot of low end the 8/06 is a good option, if you like the power to be more broad the 8/33 will be the better option. Woods racers would go with the 8/33 for long races cuz the bottom end wears you out less, but for a pure ďI want power and torqueĒ, the 8/06 might be your best bet. I have a built 540 and the 8/33 is just about perfect.
    2. Your 41mm carb is getting held back by no head work. +1 intake valves and good porting will do the trick. You need the +1 intakes, if anything else, for reliability. The stock ones are super soft and literally wear so bad that something has to give. Just did an engine not too long ago that they wore so bad it wore so far it broke the tappet bolt.
    3. Make sure your timing chain isnít super stretched, it can retard cam timing. If youíre already running an 8/07 AND youíre running a little retarded itís only making it worse.
    Other things that kill horsepower are rusty, kinky chains, seizing axle bearings, clutch slippage, intake restrictions....
    Last edited by Youngwildandfree; 02-17-2020 at 03:56 AM.

41/42 RWHP on a stock 525XC at sea level.
    Last edited by steveo525; 02-17-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Ya sure? I’ll take your word for it. I though the 450 was 42 and the 525 was 46. I couldn’t find any info from a trustable site, I didn’t look hard, admittedly.

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngwildandfree View Post
    Ya sure? I’ll take your word for it. I though the 450 was 42 and the 525 was 46. I couldn’t find any info from a trustable site, I didn’t look hard, admittedly.
    Yea, however i hit the dyno yesterday with a stock cam but same mods and it gave me 48 hp. However the guy at the dyno claims that the quad is very rich. Ill buy a new jet kit and hit the dyno, he claims that fixing the jetting issue will get me over 50 with ease. Ill post my dyno results soon.

Member Rookie
    Guys are there specific jets for the 525xc quad or can i use any jets i can get my hands on ? Like yfz450 jets because getting ktm parts is pretty tough where i am from

Guys are there specific jets for the 525xc quad or can i use any jets i can get my hands on ? Like yfz450 jets because getting ktm parts is pretty tough where i am from
    Standard Keihin Carb Main Jet and Pilot Jet. You can use the Honda HRC Needle, Yamaha FCR Needle or JD Needle if you want to switch the needle out. What MJ are you running?

Member Rookie
    Standard Keihin Carb Main Jet and Pilot Jet. You can use the Honda HRC Needle, Yamaha FCR Needle or JD Needle if you want to switch the needle out. What MJ are you running?
    175 main jet and 42 pilot

175 main jet and 42 pilot
    I think you have some room in there 165-168 at Sea Level + What’s the elevation where you ride/race?

Member Rookie
    I think you have some room in there 165-168 at Sea Level + Whatís the elevation where you ride/race?
    Yea I generally race very close to sea level. With my mods and a stock cam would you recon i hit mid 50ís ?

I think you have some room in there 165-168 at Sea Level + What’s the elevation where you ride/race?
    Yea I generally race very close to sea level. With my mods and a stock cam would you recon i hit mid 50’s ?
    No.

Member Rookie
    Well thats a bummer thought they made 50 with bills pipe only..

Well thats a bummer thought they made 50 with bills pipe only..
    Did you see my Dyno sheet and mods? Not much difference. I’m at 50 and it’s a tad rich. The bored carb you have will do better on a built motor. I’m still trying to figure out how you were running the 8/07 Cam on (and I’m guessing) a stock valve train.

Member Rookie
    Did you see my Dyno sheet and mods? Not much difference. Iím at 50 and itís a tad rich. The bored carb you have will do better on a built motor. Iím still trying to figure out how you were running the 8/07 Cam on (and Iím guessing) a stock valve train.
    Thank you for being helpful steve. I have the same question, my lack of knowledge i guess? I was 17 years old when i bought my mods. I am running kibble valves and springs.

Did you see my Dyno sheet and mods? Not much difference. I’m at 50 and it’s a tad rich. The bored carb you have will do better on a built motor. I’m still trying to figure out how you were running the 8/07 Cam on (and I’m guessing) a stock valve train.
    Thank you for being helpful steve. I have the same question, my lack of knowledge i guess? I was 17 years old when i bought my mods. I am running kibble valves and springs.
    No problem brother. I hope you get her where you want her to be.

Junior Member Rookie
    Definitely go with the 833 I run a similar setup hmf comp pipe 42mm carb 13:1 piston 833 cam JD jet kit she is a beast

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    I would match your build with a 806. 833 if it was a 540 as YWF said. Stock cam won't hurt anything. Any Keihin FCR jets will fit. If I'm in a bind for parts I'll call the Honda dealer in town and they often have parts and o-rings to get me by.

Just a side note: valve spring rates aside, if I remember correctly the head castings vary enough on the RFS heads that some would accept the 807 cam and some needed to be ground down in places to keep the lobes from hitting when they swung around.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Sponsored Links