Best piston/ring kit for my 525xc
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quad97

Thread: Best piston/ring kit for my 525xc

Junior Member Rookie

Best piston/ring kit for my 525xc

Im gonna have to tear the engine appart due to a bad head gasket. The piston may still be good, if so im just gonna order a set of new ring even though there still gapping good. If my piston is out of spec or simply too worn out, what is the best piston i can buy? Is the OEM really worth the extra $$? I’ve heard the 525 OEM piston was forged anyway so pretty much as good as a wiseco or something like that. I need some advices! Thanks

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    I’ve never trusted wiesco, and they seem to have different measurements with different pistons, even though they are ordered the same. . CP, JE, wossner, all good pistons. You want the 95mm kit.
    Last edited by Youngwildandfree; 04-24-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngwildandfree View Post
    I’ve never trusted wiesco, and they seem to have different measurements with different pistons, even though they aren’t ordered the same. . CP, JE, wossner, all good pistons. You want the 95mm kit.
    thanks. They’re pretty much the same price anyway. What i’ve noticed is the 525 sx moto seem to have a higher compression ratio, 12.5:1, but should i stick with 11.1:1 if to me reliability is more important than extra power? Anyone have tried the 12.5?

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Any time you increase compression it's going to accelerate wear. Lots of factors determine how much. Trail riding I wouldn't worry much about going from 11:1 to 12.5:1. That being said, when I changed out my stock 525 piston it still looked really good with 150+ hrs of hard MX use (no hr meter at the time, but I know it was a lot of hrs). Put in a CP 13:1 and blended 50/50 pump and 110 race gas. Was pretty happy with that for probably another 100hrs until the transmission let go and damaged the piston and cylinder. At that point there was noticeable wear on the skirt. Almost zero noticeable wear on the stock one when it was replaced. Frequent oil changes with good oil (Amsoil in my case) probably helped. CP has the best surface finishes I've ever seen on an aftermarket piston. They seem to care about the product they send out.
    Last edited by quad97; 04-24-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Miner likes this.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

I replaced the stock piston in my 525xc with a JE piston a few years ago. It's a quality product and I haven't have any problems.
    2008 KTM 525 XC
    2009 KTM 505 SX

Junior Member Rookie
    I Canadian so every think is expensive plus the only piston that seemed available at the moment from the part shop was wiseco. Ktm asked 560$ for their kit. I was about to put my old piston back in with new set of rings and pin for 114$. I then remember that polaris outlaws shared the same engine than the ktm so i called the polaris dealer. 209$ for the piston kit. I Ordered that kit and they can ship it back if its not the same but prettty sure it is

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Good thinking!
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Junior Member Rookie
    So i received my piston today from polaris and it came in a ktm packaging with a polaris sticker over the ktm’s. Lol i just saved 365$. I compared them both and they are identical. Same brand (elko) same number under as well as over it... i just don’t understand why it’s possible

Dealers in my experience are as sketchy as ever. Charging over a hundred dollars an hour to change oil, adjust chains, change bearings most of the time. Plus they mark their parts up a crazy amount. Stack that with the already more expensive KTM parts, and with things already being more pricey in Canada... ouch. I was in a pinch for motorex one time and they tried to charge me 80 something freaking dollars for a 4L bottle of 10w50. I laughed and walked out.
    Best of luck with your rebuild!
    Last edited by Youngwildandfree; 05-15-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Junior Member Rookie
    The first ride is done. 6hours more on the meter, didn’t smell like oil when i throttled out and no more coolant leak! Really love that atv. It has a lot of power and a great handling! Still gotta find the oil leak around the sprocket which is probably the seal or something around but except that, its top shape! Thanks for your help even though i ended up buying stock piston, it’s appreciated

Sponsored Links