Ktm 525 xc improvement an reliability
    Member Rookie

Ktm 525 xc improvement an reliability

Hello everyone !

Im going to rebuild my engine, i read a lot of stuff in this forum but my english is not to good lol, so i want to confirm some things before i messed it up lol.
    I want to make a litle improvement in my quad without compromise the releabilty, i got already a full exhaust system from none racing, and 41mm carb from a dirtbike whith o-ring mod. I was pondering puting a 8/06 cam, i read in this forum it was good upgrade, just want to know if it just a mount an go, or if there some stuff to change whith it (springs valve,clearance etc..).
    Another thing i read is the hrc needle, is this better than a JT KIt ? The part i didn't understand, is about to drill something in the carb from 0.13 to 0.16 i but cant figure what is it exatly.
    All this done, is this compromise the releability ? Normaly i open my engine evry 250H whith no problem ( exept this time i put a hot-rod rod, and im afraid it dont last like the oem, so i will open whith 160 h).

Thanks

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    What kind of power are you wanting to make? When building mine I did a lot of reading and deciding.
    8/06 cam is a drop-in cam, you will loose bottom and gain mid/top, it evens out the power a little more. If I were you I would pair this with a 12:5:1 piston, it will fill the bottom end loss the 8/06 would take. 41mm carb is good. I would get your crank rebuilt and only use OEM bearings With Carrillo rod with a pro-x bearing. HRC needles are discontinued but they are to date the best ones to buy from what I understand. I run a very similar one called a FHM needle I believe. This won’t really sacrifice reliability. I recommend throwing a Baldwin oil cooler on there, too.

Member Rookie
    ok thanks for the info. If i put a high compression piston i will have to work the head to ? for now i cant put a oil coller, so i guess whith these compression ratio it will heat a litle too much. Is there any other cam that dont loose bottom ? basicaly i use my ktm for 2h races, and to dune climbing lot of sand in my region.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Re-working the head is not required for the 806 cam or the higher compression piston. I really liked running the 13:1 compression piston in my 525. Had to mix 50/50 race gas and premium pump fuel with it though. If durability is your main concern and still get a bump in power I'd stay with a 12.5:1 compression ratio. Any increase in compression is going to shorten piston life. If you hope to not open your engine for less than 250hrs a stock piston is all I would trust for that application.

The part you are talking about that often gets drilled in conjunction with the HRC needle is the accelerator pump nozzle. It is the brass fitting that sticks up inside the throat of the carburetor. The other thing that is common is drilling and tapping the inside of the float bowl for installation of the leak jet.
    Last edited by quad97; 07-25-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Member Rookie
    if i go whith this combo, how many hours do you recomand to open engine ?

I guess that depends on your riding style. Do you rev the engine pretty hard or are you fairly easy on it? I typically ride mine on a motocross track or the sand dunes. I'm not hard on motors compared to some people, but I wouldn't run the 13:1 piston in those conditions over 100hrs. If you're getting 250hrs stock then 12.5:1 piston maybe 175-200?
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Member Rookie
    that depend on the situation, i think the problem is i use the bike for different type of riding situation, resistances races (i think is like you call gncc races) but im a novice so maybe the bike dont suffer to much, lot of rides in the wood in my region, but is almost only sand and that i think is little hard for the engine especially in hills climbs, a little on mx track to learn. lol i need a second quad i think :-). well i guess the best is to stay stock for now, i will do the carburetor mod (thanks by the way for the indication), and add the extra bucks for preparing my shocks. To bad the cam drop a lot in bottom, i was thinking he will push a litle more in all (bottom, middle and top) my bad. Anyway thanks for both of you for you time and precision. ;-)

I didn't notice any bottom end loss on my 525 with the 806 cam, but I added the piston, cam, and pipe all at the same time. So the higher compression and pipe may have been making up for any loss there.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Junior Member Rookie
    So I'm thinking about building on to my 525xc...I was told they don't make the 8/06 cam anymore for the xc...does anyone on here know where I can find one?

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebatmaine17 View Post
    So I'm thinking about building on to my 525xc...I was told they don't make the 8/06 cam anymore for the xc...does anyone on here know where I can find one?
    The part number is listed in the forum somewhere in old threads. KTM might not make it anymore but I’m sure there are dealers out there that still have some in stock. Call a KTM dealer and give the parts guy the part number and ask him to do a dealer search for it. They will be able to tell you what dealers have it in stock and you can call that dealer and they should be able to ship to you.

I have the 8/06 with stock 525XC piston/compression and yes, I lost a little bottom end but the pull/gain from mid to top was well worth it for me.

Member Rookie
    Hello everyone !

I come for some news, a finaly rebuild my engine last month, and finally putt the 8/06 cam, without toutching the piston compretion, and i satisfied whith the litle extra result.
    I didn´t noticed a lot off bottom loss, maybe the 41 carburetor and full exhaust helps whith that, my impression is, normaly i ride whith a 15 or 14 ( depanding situation) front sprocket and 35 rear, and whith 15 now is like if i have a 14, maybe is just impression. Infortunetly i didn´t find the HRC needle... i dig the all internet but for now nothing. What can you recomand instead ? Theres is The JD Kit, and i heard about the GTYR needle from yamaha, Is there anothers needle out there ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links