How to run cooler
    Junior Member Rookie

How to run cooler

Is there a cheap and or simple way to make these Rfs motors run cooler? Fingers crossed I've not had an overheating problem...but I'm wondering if there's a way to help run cooler...longer. I heard about a spacer for the pump cover and larger impeller. Not sure

Senior Member Member
    I went with the mino water pump and an oil cooler. The oil cooler seemed to make the biggest difference.
    08 525xc ≡ 12.5:1 570 bbk, +1 valves, Crower Cam, Houser Bounce Nerfs, Razr 2 rears, Razr fronts, Pro Armor Dominator Bumper, Scotts Steering Damper, Mino Water Pump, FCI intake, KTMBill Skid Plate, FastRanchero 41mm Carb

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    I added a completely built motor and I’m still running 20-30 degrees cooler than I was wth my stick 450. Use a quality coolant, make sure radiator is clean and the fins aren’t bent so they can channel air. Add a mino high flow water pump, and I really recommend a balwdwin oil cooler. I also capped off my right port for coolant and ran a hose to and a hose from the RAD on the left side to get rid of that stock setup. My inline temp gauge sits around 150 when I’m riding hard, when I let it idle it will get up to about 185. Ive ridden in 90-100 degrees and the fan still only ran when I was in constant low RPM’s. If you know what your doing you can make a dual can setup, also. I forget but I think I was reading about people cutting holes in thier plastic to get air flowing through the rad better, also. Not sure on that one though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    The fans on these come on at a fairly low temperature. Around 190F I believe. So if you're worried about the fan running a lot I wouldn't sweat it. Like others have said make sure the radiator is clear to flow air. An aftermarket water pump will help pull heat out of the engine quicker, but don't be surprised if the fan kicks on sooner as that heat has to be dissipated somewhere. I run engine ice in both my XC and SX. SX has a high flow pump and fan runs much more than my XC, but it always has since new. XC also has an aluminum finned cooler in the hot water line. Neither one has ever boiled over, but they do run warm. IMO an oil cooler would be the biggest benefit to help get the heat out of the bottom end.Also if your jetting is a little lean it will build excess heat.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngwildandfree View Post
    I added a completely built motor and I’m still running 20-30 degrees cooler than I was wth my stick 450. Use a quality coolant, make sure radiator is clean and the fins aren’t bent so they can channel air. Add a mino high flow water pump, and I really recommend a balwdwin oil cooler. I also capped off my right port for coolant and ran a hose to and a hose from the RAD on the left side to get rid of that stock setup. My inline temp gauge sits around 150 when I’m riding hard, when I let it idle it will get up to about 185. Ive ridden in 90-100 degrees and the fan still only ran when I was in constant low RPM’s. If you know what your doing you can make a dual can setup, also. I forget but I think I was reading about people cutting holes in thier plastic to get air flowing through the rad better, also. Not sure on that one though.

How did you cap it off ? Also do you have a pic of how your lines are run now? Thanks!

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loboracer View Post
    How did you cap it off ? Also do you have a pic of how your lines are run now? Thanks!
    I ran this setup and it worked fine. It’s a kit from samco. Got it off race bike bits. Comes with the cap.
    The better setup I’ve been running is custom lines. You need a aluminum coolant Tee, about a meter of hosing, and clamps.
    I basically just kept the top the same and ran the bottom line to both of the ports on the bottom of the cylinder. It’s worked great.
    Last edited by Youngwildandfree; 11-19-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Sponsored Links