540 jetting and tuning help needed
    Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Just finished putting together my new motor combo. It is a 12.5:1 thumper racing CP 540, Baldwin R2R head, And hmf slip on. Can you guys offer some jetting ideas to get it dialed in? Also Im having some sort of problem getting it to idle. It will fire right away if you give it the slightest touch of throttle but if you let off it will die. Also if you hold the throttle just barely open you can turn the idle adjustment up and down and it seems like its working but as soon as you let off the throttle it will die again. any ideas?
    99mm thumper cylinder 15:1 comp, Crankworks billet stroker, Custom Carrillo short rod, Racers edge +4ti head, 48mm hsr carb, Shortened and stretched trx fci intake, Custom programmed vortex

296lbs ready to ride. This might be the fastest ktm duner in the world

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0fox View Post
    Just finished putting together my new motor combo. It is a 12.5:1 thumper racing CP 540, Baldwin R2R head, And hmf slip on. Can you guys offer some jetting ideas to get it dialed in? Also Im having some sort of problem getting it to idle. It will fire right away if you give it the slightest touch of throttle but if you let off it will die. Also if you hold the throttle just barely open you can turn the idle adjustment up and down and it seems like its working but as soon as you let off the throttle it will die again. any ideas?
    all bikes are a little different but in my 540 with Baldwin head I'm running a 165 to 170 main depending.. And a 42 pilot. Right now I have the 170 in and it's running great.

ok thanks for the input!
    99mm thumper cylinder 15:1 comp, Crankworks billet stroker, Custom Carrillo short rod, Racers edge +4ti head, 48mm hsr carb, Shortened and stretched trx fci intake, Custom programmed vortex

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Send your carb to Walt to work his magic. YOu will be blown away at how much more power and throttle response you will have. Pm him for info. Its a must on these bikes when you mod them. He has done around 100 of them now and with great results to all. just ask around. You will have a hard time getting it right without it.
    09 505sx Sold but not forgotten!

09 450sx Sold "DAMN IT"

2010 sponsors, Ktm Northamerica, Fasst Co, DWT racing, Hinson cc, EVS sports, Gaerne, Action motorsports.

Senior Member Member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver311 View Post
    Send your carb to Walt to work his magic. YOu will be blown away at how much more power and throttle response you will have. Pm him for info. Its a must on these bikes when you mod them. He has done around 100 of them now and with great results to all. just ask around. You will have a hard time getting it right without it.

Who is Walt and what does he do to it.

How much? Thanks!
    Ride Hard or Go Home!

KTM Quads
    2008 525XC

Live life full throttle - because you never know when your engine may die!

Quote Originally Posted by CooperSandRacing View Post
    Who is Walt and what does he do to it.

How much? Thanks!
    That's me!
    Home of Fastranchero carb Mods!!!!
    Rides: 1964 ranchero 565HP, 1965 Mercury Comet Convert. stocker, 1978 Fairmont sleeper inline 6 497hp and 499ft lbs to the ground.. 03 cummins for pullin toys,
    10 Mustang GT, 1971 Pinto project
    08 525 XC
    06 Apex pro MX 100 little girls race bike
    LTZ 250 wifes bike
    05 Raptor 50 little ones bike
    engine builder,

hey how much does it cost? i want to get this done i hust forgot whenever you told me.

And also do i have to get like my package insured or just send it to you?

thanks man,

Justin Zellner
    tits tires and vp fuel

Well I decided to take it to Dave Hopkins. He is local and knows his shit. Im going to bore it all the way to 44mm using a Dasa carb ring. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Well I decided to take it to Dave Hopkins. He is local and knows his shit. Im going to bore it all the way to 44mm using a Dasa carb ring. Ill let you know how it turns out.
    Dave knows what he is doing, he'll fix you up... so how did it come out?
    Home of Fastranchero carb Mods!!!!
    Rides: 1964 ranchero 565HP, 1965 Mercury Comet Convert. stocker, 1978 Fairmont sleeper inline 6 497hp and 499ft lbs to the ground.. 03 cummins for pullin toys,
    10 Mustang GT, 1971 Pinto project
    08 525 XC
    06 Apex pro MX 100 little girls race bike
    LTZ 250 wifes bike
    05 Raptor 50 little ones bike
    engine builder,

The machine work turned out really nice and it started right up but didnt run anywhere near the way it should have. I had to get some help from you to rejet it and had to readjust the tps but now its running pretty good. It has loads of power and should really shine in the sand.

Sponsored Links