Am i on track with jetting?
    Member Rookie

Am i on track with jetting?

So im new to the ktm world and im still learning the ins and outs. Ive got a 08 ktm 525 xc and to the best of my knowledge my motor is mostly stock besides kibble white valves and a hmf slip on. I ordered a R&D Fuel screw and power bowl 2. My elevation is sea level with the temperature is typically 65 degrees and im planning on running 45 pilot and 175 main. Does this seem relatively close?
    Last edited by TimSteele; 12-07-2015 at 03:32 AM.

Senior Member Member
    I'm at 3900 feet above sea level and 172 was a tad too rich for my 505 with FCI stock header and hmf slip on
    2009 450sx
    PEP ZPS pb-1s
    JB Pro a arms
    DirtFiendAZ motor
    -41.5mm carb
    -thumper tube/dual squirt AP nozzle
    -crankworks crank
    -stock compression cp piston
    -ktm water pump upgrade
    titanium fmf megabomb header
    custom headed matched fmf silencer
    fci intake with air box cut out
    Quad tech hood
    Walsh hiem tierods
    suede +1 jetrim seat
    all the orange bling/orange hoses
    Flexx Bars/AME 1.3 grips
    Ohlins stabilizer
    xc reservoir
    -the6mods-

Member Rookie
    So it's somewhat close on the main. I was thinking about maybe going with a 48 pilot but I'm not sure if that will cause an issue with how it hot starts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Member Rookie
    Do you know what needle you are running?

Senior Member Member
    I am running at 3500'. I have a 2008 525 XC stock. I have a HRC needle, 48 pilot, 160 main. I also did all the Fast Ranchero Mods and lock wired the ap. I think you might be a tad on the large size for the main but thats safe.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    get yourself an HRC needdle or the whole kit. comes with a 162 main, and i believe a 45 pilot, run the needle on 3rd clip from the top. and that is exactly what i would run for everything. probably 1.5-2 out on the screw. pick up a drilled emulsion tube while your doing it... helps a bit. Bill reed ktm bill sells them. otherwise there are a few aftermakret companies running them. the power bowl is the one ith the adjustable leak i believe... so get that set and your going to be good to go. DO NOT put a heavier spring on the AP linkage. I would recommend a light O ring though. the heavy springs they sell are way overpowered for what the ktms want.

-09 450sx- KTM slip-on, Bills a-arms, Rocket Ron WP's.

-09 450sx- Bill's pipe, and a-arms, PEP Shocks, Baldwin head, Walt's dual squirt AP nozzle and 41.5mm bore.

Both have Quadtech hoods, Ranchero carbs, Kiwi's spring mod, KTM Bill skidplates, High flow water pumps, KTM Bumpers, and Pro Armor Nerfs.

2014 Sponsors- 38 Motorsports, Leatt Brace, Vertex Pistons, 100%, Lucas Oil, Jettrim, Streamline Brakes, Gaerne, KTMPartsHouse

Member Rookie
    I haven't gotten a chance to pull out the needle and see what ive got in there. but as it stands right now ive got the power bowl 2 in there that has the adjustable leak jet. i used to spring that they gave me and i dont have an o ring on the pump linkage and its not wired together. Ordered a drilled emulsion tube and a HRC needle tonight. hopefully i get this buttoned up soon so i can go back to building my other bike. ive got some conflicting info on my research between 168 main down to 160. i guess it all probably varies a little bit on clip position and temperature.
    Last edited by TimSteele; 12-18-2015 at 02:48 AM.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Someone with a HRC needle will have a leaner main jet that someone with a stock needle since the taper of the HRC needle runs richer to start with. I'd say a 175 main is probably close with a stock needle and is what HMF recommends with the 45 pilot for that pipe. With a HRC needle you will be about 10 points lower on the main.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Member Rookie
    OBEKS needle is in there. HRC needle is on the way with drilled emulsion tube.

Sponsored Links