Need more power

Thread: Need more power

Junior Member Rookie

Need more power

I am wondering what I could do to get more power out of my 08 525xc at a low cost, can anyone help?
    2008 KTM 525xc
    Ported Head
    +1 Oversized Valves
    Web Cam
    FCI Intake
    FMF Titanium Exhaust

Super Moderator KTMATVHQ Addict
    If it is totally stock, a slip-on exhaust, cam (8/33 or 8/06) and carb bore are 3 basic mods that really help.

Senior Member Member
    After completing what kmack stated although if you can spring for ktmbills exhaust by far the largest gain you will see instead of slip on. Depends on your idea of cheap but throwing a 540 kit in there should make you happy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    mods are in the signature. a ktm bills pipe would be an upgrade. otherwise i think your next step would be boring the carburetor or a higher compression piston.

-09 450sx- KTM slip-on, Bills a-arms, Rocket Ron WP's.

-09 450sx- Bill's pipe, and a-arms, PEP Shocks, Baldwin head, Walt's dual squirt AP nozzle and 41.5mm bore.

Both have Quadtech hoods, Ranchero carbs, Kiwi's spring mod, KTM Bill skidplates, High flow water pumps, KTM Bumpers, and Pro Armor Nerfs.

2014 Sponsors- 38 Motorsports, Leatt Brace, Vertex Pistons, 100%, Lucas Oil, Jettrim, Streamline Brakes, Gaerne, KTMPartsHouse

I'm with 5lblmbn2009. Boring the carb to 41mm should only set you back about $150 and give a slight boost in power across the board. If you don't have it done, Walt's (Fast64ranchero on this site) carb mods help out quite a bit with throttle response and bottom end. Last I knew he was charging $150 for that service. I think he can have it bored at the same time. A little higher compression piston wouldn't be bad either if it is stock now. If you can do the labor yourself, a piston and gaskets will set you back $250-$300 and 12.5:1 compression ratio will still let you run pump gas on a budget. Might have to borrow a cam chain breaker/rivet tool if you don't have one.

One thing I did that helped out considerably with sustaining power when the quad gets hot is covering the underside of the fuel tank and fuel line with foil heat tape. Doesn't add power per say, but I could tell a substantial difference in power later in a moto after doing it. You can get a roll of it at hardware stores for $10 or so. CV4 makes some heat blankets for this but they are about $90 I think and $18/foot for the fuel line covering.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Junior Member Rookie
    Id like to get a ktm bills pipe but they are too expensive for an exhaust...idk. I have a ported Head, +1 Oversized Valves, Web Cam, FCI Intake, and a FMF Titanium Exhaust and used to have the 540 big bore kit but it was not reliable and my quad blew up...just replaced a ton of things and I am now to a 525
    2008 KTM 525xc
    Ported Head
    +1 Oversized Valves
    Web Cam
    FCI Intake
    FMF Titanium Exhaust

id highly recommend the bills pipe. curious if your fmf is a powerbomb or megabomb? megabomb header actually looses power over the stock header with just the fmf can. anything other than stock piston your looking at 40 hours only. cp, you might be able to stretch 60? stock is 150+ easily.

-09 450sx- KTM slip-on, Bills a-arms, Rocket Ron WP's.

-09 450sx- Bill's pipe, and a-arms, PEP Shocks, Baldwin head, Walt's dual squirt AP nozzle and 41.5mm bore.

Both have Quadtech hoods, Ranchero carbs, Kiwi's spring mod, KTM Bill skidplates, High flow water pumps, KTM Bumpers, and Pro Armor Nerfs.

2014 Sponsors- 38 Motorsports, Leatt Brace, Vertex Pistons, 100%, Lucas Oil, Jettrim, Streamline Brakes, Gaerne, KTMPartsHouse

Senior Member Member
    Where do you want more power at...low end or top end? I am curious if your cam is affecting the area that you want to increase power in, a cam may increase power in one area but take away a from another. When I had DJH install the +1 valves in my 520 motor he told me that the unshrouding of the valves would drop my compression a little. I also added a 806 cam at the same time and that cam would take away bottom and add top end power. He advised me to install a hi-comp piston to makeup for the low end that I was loosing. I think that setup will run just as hard as my thumper racing 570 kit in my 530 motor. A simple gearing change might be the answer if you don't care about top speed. I know that the carb mod/bore by Fastranchero gave my quad a decent punch over stock and was well worth the money.
    08 525xc ≡ 12.5:1 570 bbk, +1 valves, Crower Cam, Houser Bounce Nerfs, Razr 2 rears, Razr fronts, Pro Armor Dominator Bumper, Scotts Steering Damper, Mino Water Pump, FCI intake, KTMBill Skid Plate, FastRanchero 41mm Carb

Junior Member Rookie
    I am honestly doing awesome at low end speed, need more top end or honestly like the middle range...I actually changed sprockets to give me less low end and more top end because I don't weigh enough to keep the front end down.

I guess I didn't say it before but I need to win drag races lol! I can get off the start very good and win but I want to win more, like I don't want anyone close with me. My boyfriend has a 2012 ds 450mx and he is right on my ass so I would like to get out ahead a lot more. Maybe if I do change my sprockets back and figure out a way to keep it down I can get him off of the line more and it wont be a big deal...im not sure. I normally drag about a 100 yard strip I would say.
    2008 KTM 525xc
    Ported Head
    +1 Oversized Valves
    Web Cam
    FCI Intake
    FMF Titanium Exhaust

Member Rookie
    Ya thats the thing with the rfs motor all torque and a low rev. I drag race quite a bit and im almost always ahead for the first 25' then I get reeled in.there's a great thread about a light flywheel that might help you but you have to know drag racing is a wallet race there's only so much you can do before you have to drop some serious cash. Bang for the buck do fast64's carb mod and have shredum bore your carb to 42.5/43mm.
    You mentioned gearing also what size rear tires are you running
    Mine# 2008 525xc
    factory 540 kit fci stock exhaust...... for now
    "Sand princess "
    Hers# 2008 kfx 450r
    pc3 white brothers exhaust and custom seat from cascade innovations
    " kitty"

Senior Member Member
    I really enjoy Drag racing basically what I built my quad for, but before you go looking for "power" make sure your traction is where it needs to be. Trust me I have been here. I could out run anyone at drag besides one bad Honda so I went all out built best I could get then went back next weekend and lost against everyone because now I had real spinning problem.. Since then played with tires and gear also had shock done by rocket Ron and now it's where I want it.

Since you are drag racing I would definitely go with a 43mm carb for the next mod.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Sponsored Links