What kind of upgrade needs a stock 525xc
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kiwi-craig

Thread: What kind of upgrade needs a stock 525xc

Member Rookie

What kind of upgrade needs a stock 525xc

hello guys, I 'm new to the forum and would like to take some questions with you .I have a 08 525Xc I'm from Brazil , and I live in a city that is 30 ° C all the year , is very hot . And the kind of run that I race here is called baja , are 3 laps of 30km each that 's an average of around 40 min , and at each turn , we rests 30 min to start another lap. And there's another kind of race I started running this year , which happens one time a year that are 1300km divided into four days of racing. So you guys noticed that I run endurance races , the machine needs very caring .

So far my ATV this all stock , but I 'm trying to modify it to make more perfomace , I would like help from you guys to tell me what I could put on my quad to gain more power .

As I live in Brazil , access to spare parts is very complicated , so I would like to install things to use a long time .

What I 've been researching so far and am thinking of adding :

Bill - pipes
    - Wheels with beadlock ( or Hiper cf1 )
    Jetting -
    -I dont know if its good Fuel customs intake to put, because the saw in some where , that he lets enter the sand ...
    - change the relationship of sproket to get more top end speed .

What do you guys suggest?

there are some pictures of mine racing on the 1300km race.

What kind of upgrade needs a stock 525xc-421981_461432280592832_2108584674_n.jpgWhat kind of upgrade needs a stock 525xc-528377_461432440592816_839233649_n.jpgWhat kind of upgrade needs a stock 525xc-923327_461432947259432_667528931_n.jpg

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    We race Baja with a 525XC and found the powerto be adequate with a peipeand jetting. Our worry with any other "power" mods is reliability for long 200-400KM long races. We also added a Hi-Flo water pump since cooling is an issue and are looking at an oil cooler. I would suggest you add a slkid plate.
    450 xc Desert Off-Road Racer. KTM 525 kit, Carrillo rod, Teixeira Max Clearance A-Arms, Precision Pro Steering dampner, PRM full skid, Hiper beadlocks, Maxis Razr 2, Hiflow water pump, Pro-taper, Motion Pro Twist throttle.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict
    Unless power becomes an issue I would leave the motor pretty stock except for pipe and jet for reliability reasons. I highly recommend an Oil Cooler to help keep with the high heat. This will add to the reliability of the motor. Also look into a Dual radiator fan modification.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Administrator KTMATVHQ Guru
    Fit the factory slave cylinder / sprocket guard unit. KTM Part # 83032075044

think about an IMS tank to pick up fuel volume.
    IMS Products : 08-10 KTM 450XC ATV 4.0 gal Fuel Tank

Hi flow water pump, Travis at Thumper can help or go direct to Mino in Europe
    KTM 450

High Flow Water Pump Kits

KTM Bills Skid Plate
    http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/ktmavh...-4-racing.html

Front mounted Battery Box
    You also might want to add a second battery, or move your main battery up front for easy access with KTM Bills battery box, or the action motorsports box.

http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/ktmavh...-4-racing.html

Battery Relocator for KTM SX from Action Motorsports | ATV SCENE Magazine - ATV Reviews, News, Racing, Scene Girls & more

Oil Cooler Units - Baldwin Motorsports
    KTM 450/525 XC ATV Oil Cooler | Baldwin Motorsports

Note that the oil cooler won't work with the KTM Bills Exhaust, Bills header extends through the space used by Baldwin to mount the cooler. Cooler is fine with the stock header.

Action Motorsports
    sell the dual radiator fan kit
    Action Motorsports Dual Fan kit for XC Radiator from Action Motorsports

personally I would add the oil cooler first.

41mm carb mod, this adds power right through the rev range on the 525, no down side. 1 - 3 hp
    might be easier to get a 39mm carb from the US, send to Sredrum or Ranchero for the 41mm bore and related modifications and then ship down to you ?

Sredrum Performance - Dyno Tuning, Custom Machining, and Carburetor & Throttle Body Boring

http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/ktmatv...our-carbs.html

http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/faq-s-...-carb-bog.html

same setup applies to the XC carb.

Steering Damper personally i favour the fastway 5 unit, but the other big name is precision or the factory Ohlins

Pro Moto Billet / Fastway Performance
    Pro Moto Billet / Fastway Performance

http://www.atvriders.com/images/ktm/2009-atv/ktm-2009-450-505-sx-atv-ohlins-steering-stabelizer.jpg

http://www.precision-rp.com/stabilizer.cfm

And maybe Flexx bars or precisions shock and vibe mount ?

http://www.precision-rp.com/shockvibe.htm

http://www.fasstco.com/shop/flexx-handlebars-atv

Shock Mods, big improvements in comfort and ride, Rocket Ron is the man
    http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/rocket...me-shocks.html

http://www.rocketronracing.com/
    owe and codytaylor like this.
    KTM 505 SX: Web cams / 13.5:1 custom CP / balanced and modded crank / custom Vortex X10 ignition / Ported head / 43.5mm billet centre bored carb / KTM Akrapovic muffler / Mino hi vol water pump / 12 deg flexx's / houser stem / elka 5 / PEP PB1's and PEP LT rear / Walsh Flow A Arms / Quad tech seat & Foam / CF nose / FCI intake / relocated batt box / KTM Bill header / KTM factory SS Oil Pump setup / Manual cam chain tensioner Next round of mods: oil cooler........ the NEW TOP DOG 114 hrs…. best race engine I've owned

KTM 554 XC
    : sx style crank, light weight SXF flywheel, TT sxf stator, steel linered cylinder, custom JE piston ceramic coating, plus 1 ported head / 807 cam, 43.5mm carb. Mino hi vol water pump. KTM Bill custom exhaust, FCI intake, JB A Arms, PEP PB1s front LT and rear , Lonestar axle, 12 deg Flexx's, CF nose, elka 3 steering damper, KTM factory nerfs, factory white plastic and graphics / gell cell battery Next round of mods: oil cooler........

gotta stop spending $$$ on these KTM's...…..

Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS - 2011
    , lonestar plus 2 A Arms, cut MXR front shocks (minus 1 ") with ZPS / ttripple rate, FUJ rear suspension rear shock mount units drops ride height 2", FUJ HD adj sway bar, 1.5” rear billet wheel spacers, Polaris nerfs, bumper and rear rack, Yoshi competition slip on, Pro Taper bars, acerbis hand guards, Trailtech GPS with billet protector. KTM throttle / Honda Front master cylinder and shorty lever / 41mm carb & hi flow intake runner / big filter / Billet FCR transition ring. Modified rear spring package / rear revalve.

next round of mods: 8/33 cam, Hi Flow water pump and 540 cylinder / wossner piston waiting to go in, fastway 3 steering damper ala KTM setup, custom header using KTM XC header as a starting piece, light flywheel setup.
    gotta have something to modify this year !

LTR 450
    , My Wife Nicola's ride & my back up mxer - 493 BB / JE piston / special order Yoshi motard cams / custom fueling map / tcs LT ZPS front end setup, TCS rear ZPS revalve / ims tank / TB exhaust / power commander / proflo - K&N / 14 deg flexx's / race nerfs / armadillo bumper/ Denton damper, next round of mods: ported head and carillo rod...... the clark kent of the ATV trio ! 210 hrs and still going strong ! the BB kit transformed this machine, it hauls the mail now !!!!

A garage full of wheels and tires for them all........ speedway / sand / MX / cross country, over 30 at last count all on rims ready to rock

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013
    NZ Vets (40+) North Island MX champ 08, 09, 12 & 13
    NZ TT champ Vets (40+) 06, 08, 09,12 & 13
    Auckland ATV Club Sprint Series Champ 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 13
    hope to get a good season in for the remainder of 2014.......finding time to ride being the biggest problem !

Member Rookie
    Sorry for the late reply, So i will buy the hi-flow water pump, the battery box i think its not necessary for me now.., About the oil cooler i wanna install, but you said that doesnt work with bill pipe, but i need buy a new pipe, because mine doesnt work more, and I've been searching here in the forum and saw that bill was the best.

Fit the factory slave cylinder / sprocket guard unit. - What function it?

About the dual radiator,I really have to send my radiator for them, so they can make the modification? Because the shipping to EUA for me cost very expensive.

I already have the GPR Steering Damper on my ATV.

And about the shocks, I have doubts, it pays for me to send my shock to rocket ron or buy a FOX evo shocks. How many dollars will be for rocket ron upgrade my shocks? I need to refurbish my bumper because my quad is 2008, and never done anything in the shocks. You think the ohlins is as good as FOX?

About 41mm carb mod, I am interested in doing this so, but where will I find this carb on the internet? Has to be which brand?

About wheels, whats is better the oem ktm wheels ktm-parts.com: ATV Rear Wheel 9x8 Beadlock (Orange) XC or the hiper wheels?

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    i run fox evols on my ktm and like them a lot. I feel they out perform the ohlins.
    the ktm bill pipe is definitely a good way to make more power but makes adding an oil cooler in the typical location up front by the coolant over flow bottle about impossible. you can look into other exhausts as well. Carburetor modification you should be able to get done locally to you stock carb. if you need more info on it just ask we can help you out with it.
    HIper wheels are light weight and people love them. Douglas beadlocks are about as tough as any wheel in the quad world. either one will work, base it more on your price locally id say.
    Racing KTM 525xc's in WNYOA & GNCC

Thank you 2015 sponsors!
    Rocket Ron Racing
    Immortal ATV
    KTM Parts House.com
    Motosport
    GBC
    Houser
    Spider Graphixs
    100% Goggles
    Shock Pros

Administrator KTMATVHQ Guru
    andrega, answers

Baldwin oil cooler was made to mount with the stock exhaust header.

Bill header sweeps through the location where the Baldwin cooler would mount is the problem, if you use Bills exhaust you will need to custom mount the oil cooler elsewhere to clear.

slave cylinder cover protects the clutch slave and engine case if you have a chain come off, otherwise is will likely demolish the clutch slave..... race over.....

dual fans: I'm pretty sure the guys at Action will send you a kit that you can have fitted locally, otherwise buy a stock fan and have the mounts made locally, not hard.

Big gains with properly setup shocks, 5 years old and never been serviced !! the oil and gas will be total worn out / gone, they will be horrible by now............... Ron's top of the line setup front and rear is around $1000, vs $2500 for new shocks........ Ron's shocks, they are very very good

carb , click this link Sredrum Performance - Dyno Tuning, Custom Machining, and Carburetor & Throttle Body Boring
    or send a message to fastranchero on this site

either wheel is a good choice.......
    KTM 505 SX: Web cams / 13.5:1 custom CP / balanced and modded crank / custom Vortex X10 ignition / Ported head / 43.5mm billet centre bored carb / KTM Akrapovic muffler / Mino hi vol water pump / 12 deg flexx's / houser stem / elka 5 / PEP PB1's and PEP LT rear / Walsh Flow A Arms / Quad tech seat & Foam / CF nose / FCI intake / relocated batt box / KTM Bill header / KTM factory SS Oil Pump setup / Manual cam chain tensioner Next round of mods: oil cooler........ the NEW TOP DOG 114 hrs…. best race engine I've owned

KTM 554 XC
    : sx style crank, light weight SXF flywheel, TT sxf stator, steel linered cylinder, custom JE piston ceramic coating, plus 1 ported head / 807 cam, 43.5mm carb. Mino hi vol water pump. KTM Bill custom exhaust, FCI intake, JB A Arms, PEP PB1s front LT and rear , Lonestar axle, 12 deg Flexx's, CF nose, elka 3 steering damper, KTM factory nerfs, factory white plastic and graphics / gell cell battery Next round of mods: oil cooler........

gotta stop spending $$$ on these KTM's...…..

Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS - 2011
    , lonestar plus 2 A Arms, cut MXR front shocks (minus 1 ") with ZPS / ttripple rate, FUJ rear suspension rear shock mount units drops ride height 2", FUJ HD adj sway bar, 1.5” rear billet wheel spacers, Polaris nerfs, bumper and rear rack, Yoshi competition slip on, Pro Taper bars, acerbis hand guards, Trailtech GPS with billet protector. KTM throttle / Honda Front master cylinder and shorty lever / 41mm carb & hi flow intake runner / big filter / Billet FCR transition ring. Modified rear spring package / rear revalve.

next round of mods: 8/33 cam, Hi Flow water pump and 540 cylinder / wossner piston waiting to go in, fastway 3 steering damper ala KTM setup, custom header using KTM XC header as a starting piece, light flywheel setup.
    gotta have something to modify this year !

LTR 450
    , My Wife Nicola's ride & my back up mxer - 493 BB / JE piston / special order Yoshi motard cams / custom fueling map / tcs LT ZPS front end setup, TCS rear ZPS revalve / ims tank / TB exhaust / power commander / proflo - K&N / 14 deg flexx's / race nerfs / armadillo bumper/ Denton damper, next round of mods: ported head and carillo rod...... the clark kent of the ATV trio ! 210 hrs and still going strong ! the BB kit transformed this machine, it hauls the mail now !!!!

A garage full of wheels and tires for them all........ speedway / sand / MX / cross country, over 30 at last count all on rims ready to rock

NZ # 1 Vets champ 2013
    NZ Vets (40+) North Island MX champ 08, 09, 12 & 13
    NZ TT champ Vets (40+) 06, 08, 09,12 & 13
    Auckland ATV Club Sprint Series Champ 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 13
    hope to get a good season in for the remainder of 2014.......finding time to ride being the biggest problem !

Senior Member Member
    Lots of good info Kiwi!
    2009 525XC WHITE
    Lots of KTM Hardparts

Sponsored Links