Engine number check [emoji85][emoji85]
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quad97

Thread: Engine number check [emoji85][emoji85]

Junior Member Rookie

Engine number check

Rang KTM today and asked for my VIN through my engine number.
    Got the VIN that was assigned with the engine number i gave... the engine is a 505sx but lowered to a 450sx now... when i did a VIN check it came up with ktm525xc frame is this possible... this is the VIN that was with this SX motor from factory????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Frames are identical besides motor mount between every single KTM ATV of every year manufactured from what I understand. People have bought sx frames and put XC power plants in them and vice versa.

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngwildandfree View Post
    Frames are identical besides motor mount between every single KTM ATV of every year manufactured from what I understand. People have bought sx frames and put XC power plants in them and vice versa.
    I get what you saying but why would ktm put a 505sx motor to a ktm525xc stamped frame from the factory... that would mess around with paperwork would it not???

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinus View Post
    I get what you saying but why would ktm put a 505sx motor to a ktm525xc stamped frame from the factory... that would mess around with paperwork would it not???

No worries all is okey its just dodgy vin check online that gives you wrong answers... my bad..

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Just for clarification, the lower engine mount that is welded to the frame is different between the SX and XC frames. So a SX engine would never be matched with a XC frame (or vise versa) from KTM. Even if they had surplus stock of one or the other they were trying to use up. The guys that do engine swaps have to rework that lower frame mount.
    Tinus likes this.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Sponsored Links