Greetings from West Michigan!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods Ready

Thread: Greetings from West Michigan!

Junior Member Rookie

Greetings from West Michigan!

Howdy Ya'll!

I am an upstanding member of many forums from motorsports to musician interest.

Currently I am a Z400 rider over the past couple of years and getting antsy to move to a 450. In that pursuit I am zeroing in on the 450/525xc (I ride 90% XC/Trails; 10% MX putzing). So I am here getting better aquatinted with the ins/outs.

Glad to be here!
    Rockin and Rollin and whatnot...!

Senior Member Member
    You won't be disappointed in either one of those KTMs. This is an awesome site with tons of info, and very helpful members. Good luck in your search!!
    08 KTM 450 xc. So far completely stock, for now >: )
    Brown wire unplugged
    Hiperfind's intake stiffner mod
    AP o-ring mod
    Baffle taken out of stock xc can.

07 Raptor 700 - SOLD....
    Big gun slip on
    Bored .25
    Sti tech 4 tires

Wifes
    09 Can-Am Outlander 650xt
    Stock- sold

2012 Honda rancher 420 4x4

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    2x ! WELCOME. When you find one post pics and fill us in on what's do'in with it. We might be able to give you some insight on what to check for. Good Luck.
    Last edited by XC450XC; 02-27-2015 at 12:33 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Welcome! Also a fellow west Michigan guy here, I am down by Kalamazoo. There are a handful of other Michigan KTM atv owners here too, most of us race D14 hare scrambles (XC). Do you race?
    ShaneJonez4 likes this.
    '08 KTM 450XC

I am XC Crazy

I'm in central OH now, but from Coldwater area. Mom and Dad have a house up near Baldwin where we like to go for weekend trips as my race schedule allows. We'll look you up next time we head up that way!

Woods Ready, you up for a few trips this year? One of those a year just isn't enough anymore... haha!
    -Walt # 728
    Schumacher Race Works LLC
    '2015' KTM 525XC GNCC Quad
    2009 KTM
    525XC
    GNCC Quad
    2009 KTM 450XC XC Quad
    2013 KTM 250XC XC Bike
    2006 KLX 250S Dual Sport Bike
    2002 Cannondale C440 XC Bike
    2003 Cannondale Cannibal 440 XC Quad (project)
    2005 Predator 500 XC quad (project)
    2002 Scrambler 500 XLE

Quote Originally Posted by ScramblerXLE View Post
    Woods Ready, you up for a few trips this year? One of those a year just isn't enough anymore... haha!
    Oh definitely, that was a blast last year. Especially with only 7 races in the series this year, lots of free weekends for trail rides and outlaw races or whatever.
    '08 KTM 450XC

I am XC Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Ready View Post
    Oh definitely, that was a blast last year. Especially with only 7 races in the series this year, lots of free weekends for trail rides and outlaw races or whatever.
    Right on. We need to get you down here with Kyle a couple times this year for some southern OH woods riding!
    -Walt # 728
    Schumacher Race Works LLC
    '2015' KTM 525XC GNCC Quad
    2009 KTM
    525XC
    GNCC Quad
    2009 KTM 450XC XC Quad
    2013 KTM 250XC XC Bike
    2006 KLX 250S Dual Sport Bike
    2002 Cannondale C440 XC Bike
    2003 Cannondale Cannibal 440 XC Quad (project)
    2005 Predator 500 XC quad (project)
    2002 Scrambler 500 XLE

Junior Member Rookie
    'Woods Ready' I have not raced yet, but that is the plan for this year!! I'll get started with the 'Z' if I need to, but that is also part of the motivation for a new ride.
    I've been watching vids of D14 scrambles for the past two weeks... getting antsy! I think Portland would be the first possibility for me. My first ride was on 04/11 last year!!!

'Scrambler/Woods' I am very open to rides with ya'll. I have only one friend with a bike, another says he's buying this year. I traveled and rode a lot last year and had a blast! But was 98% on my own... I run my own small business so I'm the guy who can be at the trails at 11a on Tues & Wed if I want.

I have pm'd both of you my contact info, feel free to contact me anytime something is brewing.
    Last edited by Tommykins; 02-28-2015 at 05:33 AM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Opinion question:

I am settled on XC width for my typical riding, which is trails, and dabbling into hare scrambles this year.

Question:

- If I were to find a nice deal (i.e. Quality/Price combo) on an SX, is it practical (I'm sure it is possible, but is it practical) to convert this to XC?

- Let's assume, for the sake of the question, that the SX is 2009 and fully stock, can you all give me a estimation for price range to do the conversion?

- Do both front and rear need to be reduced or front only? I seem to think that the rear may be adjustable on the SX, no?

Thanks a bunch guys, I will also be searching the forum for this topic having already been covered.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Addict
    You would be better off with an XC overall if you were wood riding. They are less expensive to begin with and the motor requires much less maintenance.

The rear axles on both are adjustable, but the SX is longer overall. So the SX axle in the narrow position is close to the XC axle in the wide position. The XC arms are 2" shorter and easy to come by, I even have a set left.
    2008 KTM 450xc
    Thumper 540 kit with CP piston at 12.5 compression, 8/33 cam, High Flow water pump, SX seat, SX a-arms and Rath hubs rear, SX intake, 14/37 gearing, Hiper wheels, Gafer brake lines, dash delete. SX pipe
    2009 Can Am Renegade 800

Quote Originally Posted by Tommykins View Post
    'Woods Ready' I have not raced yet, but that is the plan for this year!! I'll get started with the 'Z' if I need to, but that is also part of the motivation for a new ride.
    I've been watching vids of D14 scrambles for the past two weeks... getting antsy! I think Portland would be the first possibility for me. My first ride was on 04/11 last year!!!
    Great! I think I should be making the Portland race, but I am still in the process of switching some things around on my end. Anyways, Portland is probably the least woody track in the series, it is primarily motocross and fields with a small tree section but it is a really nice facility. Look forward to seeing you out there, or maybe on the trail before then if this snow ever melts!
    '08 KTM 450XC

I am XC Crazy

Member Rookie
    You'll love the KTM! I definitely have no regrets on mine. Plus i like having a rare bike. I still haven't seen another KTM. I don't race though just recreational riding in Michigan.

Member Rookie
    im selling a KTM 525xc from minnesota, it has the sx axle and A-arms installed but i have the xc parts with it (might need to swap a ball joint or 2) Greetings from West Michigan!-img_2929.jpg Asking $5500
    2008 KTM 525xc motoworks full, SX a-arms & axle swap, DWT wheels, Razr mx tires, Rath racing flat blacks all the way around, Rox Speed fx fully set up handle bars w/ risers and barpad

Junior Member Rookie
    Thanks Beach!

Trust me... I've had my eye on her! I have your CL ad saved and keep ogling the pics. I did have the question on the SX/XC front/rear, which you've just answered, so thank you. I am also curious of the suspension, any re-work or stock?

I haven't contacted you because, simply put, she's outa my league (price point). In addition, you are 12hrs from me. My only trade bait is my 2008 Ducati Hypermotard (excellent condition and heavily modded), which I am going to let go this year (tempting pics attached...). But that would require cash from your end.

Quite interesting, to me, that we are both from Grand Rapids, however 12hrs away.

Either way, best of luck with the sale!

Greetings from West Michigan!-img_0349.jpgGreetings from West Michigan!-img_0371.jpg

Junior Member Rookie
    Hello fellas. I'm also new to this site....was a trx250r guy but I stepped up to a 450sx last month. ...I'm in lansing and go to leota-houghton area and a lil bit of silverlake. ...would be nice to ride with some local guys....

Member Rookie
    suspension is dialed in perfect and set up well for me 170lbs. I do not believe any work has been done tho, so yes it is the stock Ohlins. I'm not interested in trades but if you get in the buying market dont be afraid to throw an offer out. Thanks!
    2008 KTM 525xc motoworks full, SX a-arms & axle swap, DWT wheels, Razr mx tires, Rath racing flat blacks all the way around, Rox Speed fx fully set up handle bars w/ risers and barpad

Nice quad jbeach! The xc in either size will suit u well Tommy, just be picky, then ask about mods!
    2008 525xc; exhaust & skid by KTMBill, suspension by RocketRonRacing, Thumper Racing 540 12.5:1 kit + trail porting +1 KW valves, breather, carb emulsion tube, Mino hi-flow water pump, 806 cam, 41mm carb w ranchero mods by Dave Hopkins, GDC intake mods, Rox Risers, Precision Stablizer, SX stem bearing, PRM arm skids, and the wisdom on KTMATVHQ! Jetting above 25C: below 5000 ft: 162main, 42pilot, 1-1/2 turns out. Above 5000 ft: 155main, 42pilot, 1/2 turn out. Below 25C-up one on main.

Sponsored Links