The Xc Iíve been working on...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Xc Iíve been working on...

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaCaviar View Post
    Awesome. All great info. I agree with how particular some of the aspects of the bike. It doesnít bother me one but. Adds a sense of personal accomplishment to the build/bikes that Iím sure make them that much better.

I was able to tear the motor back down tonight and go over everything. It looks like based of johns cc work the piston will work just fine without any clearance issues. I checked squish at both 3 and 9 oíclock and both are within spec. I also clayed that area of the piston and just placed everything together without a gasket and still no contact at all.

I have also been turning the motor over by hand quite a bit over the last week while everything was torqued down and there is no sign of any contact at all.

All of this doesnít really matter to much due to heat expansion but the squish is where we want it and thatís all that matters.

John doesnít have a lot of experience with these motors compared to say Travis or others around the country. But he know how to flow a head beautifully and build reliable motors. I attached a few pictures of his head work below. I have nothing to compare it to but all in all it was a great experience working with him.

Let me know your thoughts. Also got my tires mounted up. Just need to air them up.

Not sure if any of you have run the cst pulse but itís the only tire other than sc3 or prowedges that put down my 7mills power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    I've replaced/rebuild a couple clutch slaves on the machines we have, and I've gotten them to bleed fairly quick by just forcing the fluid from the bottom up with the syringe and adaptor nipple. So it may or may not be a headache for you. On the rear axle nut I always cinch it down pretty good, then start backing it off little by little until the axle just rolls free. Since the carrier uses tapered roller bearings you just need to keep the slack out of them like trailer wheel bearings.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by quad97 View Post
    I've replaced/rebuild a couple clutch slaves on the machines we have, and I've gotten them to bleed fairly quick by just forcing the fluid from the bottom up with the syringe and adaptor nipple. So it may or may not be a headache for you. On the rear axle nut I always cinch it down pretty good, then start backing it off little by little until the axle just rolls free. Since the carrier uses tapered roller bearings you just need to keep the slack out of them like trailer wheel bearings.
    Sounds good. Yea letís see what happens with the clutch. Either way it goes, it seems like you guys provided a few options.

Waiting on a new gaskets and my water pump from Travis to get the motor back together.

Seat cover and sx seat just came in today. Iíll probably spend some time tonight getting it put on.

Still waiting on a bunch of OEM stuff from rocky mt and babbits and that should bring me
    Home with parts

Thanks again guys

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Quad97, what did you use to rebuild and how have they lasted you? If you sourced an o-ring, what type?
    I have slaves laying around that are bad. I was supposed to get some o-rings from Travis but he has been out.
    No way Iím using that all balls kit, if it comes from China I donít want it.
    Sounds good caviar. Post up some picks of the steed family you have going on once youíre together!
    Mines almost done. Not many stock parts on this guy. -bd4e12eb-7830-48c0-a1c3-8c42da23343f.jpegHundreds of hours in this thing making it work the best I can make it.
    Last edited by Youngwildandfree; 04-27-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngwildandfree View Post
    Quad97, what did you use to rebuild and how have they lasted you? If you sourced an o-ring, what type?
    I have slaves laying around that are bad. I was supposed to get some o-rings from Travis but he has been out.
    Sounds good caviar. Post up some picks of the steed family you have going on once youíre together!
    Mines almost done. Not many stock parts on this guy. Click image for larger version.†

Name:	BD4E12EB-7830-48C0-A1C3-8C42DA23343F.jpeg†
Views:	34†
Size:	4.34 MB†
ID:	22090Hundreds of hours in this thing making it work the best I can make it.
    Beautiful bike man. Love how you incorporated the blue.

Banshee 7mill

My atc. Itís sold but hasnít been shipped out yet...

Mint untouched 92 on the right. My favorite...bike is if Florida. I should have it up In pa hopefully in May.

Junior Member Rookie
    Mines almost done. Not many stock parts on this guy. Click image for larger version.†

Name:	BD4E12EB-7830-48C0-A1C3-8C42DA23343F.jpeg†
Views:	34†
Size:	4.34 MB†
ID:	22090Hundreds of hours in this thing making it work the best I can make it.
    Iíd love to see some close up shots of your bike

I’m not a smoker guy, but wow! Clean machines. My arms got ripped off just looking at them.
    I need to get more pics. Once I set toe, adjust charging voltage (yes, custom regulator... now you’re getting the idea how much of a headache all this is) and do some more heat cycles and get my hood graphics peice in and it’ll be allllllll done!
    besides some close friends and other people I go back and forth with. This forum is the first to see it.

Junior Member Rookie
    Iím not a smoker guy, but wow! Clean machines. My arms got ripped off just looking at them.
    I need to get more pics. Once I set toe, adjust charging voltage (yes, custom regulator... now youíre getting the idea how much of a headache all this is) and do some more heat cycles and get my hood graphics peice in and itíll be allllllll done!
    besides some close friends and other people I go back and forth with. This forum is the first to see it.
    Sounds good man. Iím a sucker for details and would love to see all the small stuff on the bike.

Also, I typically like them old and full of smoke. But these Ktmís have some impressive engineering that went into them.

As you can see in used to not really have much of a bottom end on my bikes. I donít think Iíll be to bothered with whatís lost on the xc.

Good looking machines there gents!

The only slaves I've rebuild were on my my 505SX and my 2-wheeler. KTM actually offers kits for those. I've always just replaced the slave on the XC. I wouldn't use the All Balls kit either until that becomes the last option.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Junior Member Rookie
    Whats wrong with All Balls kits?
    I have never used them, but I am interested in the pitfalls
    So tell your story, maybe this will be a good warning for all of us.

All balls is cheap Chinese junk. My all balls wheel bearings lasted 3 races. OEM quality is made to last, all balls is made to appeal to cost.
    Forgot to update this thread, been racing the fresh build!
    -f2d99644-8098-4ca2-85b3-089820726d39.jpeg

^What YW&F said. Some of their stuff probably works fine for the person who only occasionally does some recreation riding, but I've stayed away from it. Used some front wheel bearings on a different make and they didn't last real long. The folks on KTMTalk, one of the KTM bike forums I follow, seem to avoid their stuff as well.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links