Need urgent help KTM 450 Outlaw
    Junior Member Rookie

Need urgent help KTM 450 Outlaw

Hey guys, I recently picked up a 2008 Polaris outlaw 450 that will not start. The bike cranks but won’t fire.

So here is where I’m at. The bike is getting spark and fuel. The bike cranked quick, until I put the valves back into Spec as Per KTM calls for at .005”. After the valves were put into spec, the bike became extremely hard to start. Would crank extremely slow and ultimately burnt the starter up.

I put a new starter in today and same thing. Started cranking slow and then dead stopped and now the second starter is burnt up.

I pulled the valve cover off and checked the decompression lever on the cam and it looks perfect. It’s not broken or worn. Motor spins freely with a breaker bar on the crank bolt behind the stator.

I’m at a loss. I have no idea if the decomp on the cam is even working, how would I know? Why is the bike turning over so slow with a brand new battery and brand new starter? And why for the love of god is it burning up starters?

Please help. I’m loosing my mind.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Not familiar with the outlaws but if they have a starter relay or switch of some type they can corrode and build up resistance. I would also be checking battery cables, and cables from relay (or equivalent) to starter. Going to want to check all grounds. I say this because it sounds like you already made sure that decompression and valves are working right and correct.

Junior Member Rookie
    The motor is the KTM 450 rfs motor

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    I’m aware, not aware of the rest of the quad tho, is what I meant

Junior Member Rookie
    Might be a little sketchy of an idea, but if you want to make sure it’s not a wiring issue you could hook up a good battery directly to the starter and see if your bike will fire. Did the bike run just fine previously and this has just begun?

Junior Member Rookie
    Even with direct power to the starter, it still turns over extremely slow. I bought the bike off a friend who couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t start one day.

Senior Member Member
    Is your timing correct and not 180 degrees out? It sounds odd that with the valves out of adjustment it cranks fine but adjusted it won't.
    08 525xc ≡ 12.5:1 570 bbk, +1 valves, Crower Cam, Houser Bounce Nerfs, Razr 2 rears, Razr fronts, Pro Armor Dominator Bumper, Scotts Steering Damper, Mino Water Pump, FCI intake, KTMBill Skid Plate, FastRanchero 41mm Carb

Sponsored Links