450XC vs yfz450 vs trx450
    Junior Member Rookie

450XC vs yfz450 vs trx450

I am looking to buy a used quad. All 3 of these are on my list to buy. I like that the xc has reverse but other then that I dont know much about their reliability and availability of parts if something breaks. The one I am looking at is the 08 model year. The XC is the most expensive at 5k but the lowest hour as well. TRX is 3k and the YFZ would be 4k.
    In the past I have owned a Raptor 350 and a 2015 Raptor 700. I got a bobcat last year and have made some new trails so looking to have some fun as I can easily make new trails or add jumps so its not always the same boring trail/track.
    Last edited by JJay03; 06-18-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Okay so.
    If you are looking for a dead reliable, always starts, and willing to sacrifice a little performance: you want the 04/05 (1st generation kicker) trx450r with an updated crank. Other than reliability they are kind of turds compared to the other 450s. However once built they can be monsters as they have a longer stroke so they can benefit from the bigger bore more than the 06+. The 06+ will make better bolt on power but sarcafice a little reliability, mainly being the starting mechanism is known to fail. You can add a kicker to these for backup.
    You said YFZ, I’m assuming your referring to the carb model. They are reliable, capable of OK power, and a good all around machine. Can get a little expensive. The YFZR is a solid machine however they are VERY expensive, seem to have reliability issues, and are freakin HEAVY.
    The ktm is one of the lightest 450s ever made. Combine that with the best stock power and you have a machine that is more than any average trail rider will ever need. They have a lot of engineering designs that cost more and perform better that most don’t appreciate.
    Ask 10 people about reliability and you’ll get 10 different answers. My answer is if it has been taken care of, and if you take care of it, these are bulletproof motors, and make awesome power. The exterior stuff isn’t perfect but neither are any of the other brands. It’ll tread you how you treat it. I would only say to grab the ktm if you are confident it’s been taken care of and you know how to work on things to a decent degree. But you kinda need that to own any 450, anyways.
    Even up through the A and pro classes these KTMs were raced with a lot of stock parts. If you’re racing A/pro on any other brand you best believe that bike is damn near fully built.
    You can still get every OEM part for the KTMs. No worries there.
    I know I kind of bounced areound so feel free to ask specifics. I could literally write a book on pros and cons of all these.
    To sum it up
    Reliability and least problems/cheapest: 04/05 trx or 06+ for better bolt on power and e start
    For good performance and cost balance the yfz will be good
    If you don’t mind spending money and are a stronger guy that can work on things plenty, the yfzr isn’t a bad choice
    The ktm is going to be the best performing machine but you have to know what you’re doing and keep up with maintenance and make sure it was well taken care of. They don’t like neglect.
    In terms of Best PERFORMANCE for cost. The ktm will sun also. 5 grand for the most HP motor, competing with the lightest in class, chromoly frame, arms, and swinger, magura breaks and clutch, ohlins shocks, etc etc etc.
    Something I’ll add that may lean you towards the ktm is the ktm XC is the only motor in a 450 quad that has ever been designed specially for xc! Everything else has been a hybrid target where rider can use it for MX, desert, XC, etc.
    the ktm rfs motors make a ton of bottom end and are very torquey, no need to rev the piss out of them just to get them to put some power down! Perfect XC motor as they lug down and carry thier rpms well with lots of bottom grunt.

Junior Member Rookie
    Thanks for the info! The KTM seems to be pretty low hours but appears someone had it in a storage unit that was not climate controlled because it has some corrosion on the aluminum and rusty bolts. The TRX I was looking at sold yesterday. I will keep looking and may even consider a 400ex because of the reliability.

I am pretty good at working on them but I rather not have to do a rebuild every year. I tend to keep my ATV's super clean and avoid the muddy days. When I sold my Raptor 700 with 50 hours it literally still looked like it just came off the show room floor. This KTM450xc I am told only has 10 hours and does not look nearly as clean as my Raptor was.

The nice sport quads are selling very fast right now and the prices are high. I may just end up buying new but that only leaves me with the YFZ450r right now.
    Last edited by JJay03; 06-19-2020 at 01:01 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Member
    Comepletly up to you. If you had a 700 and liked the power and power delivery the only motor that will compare really is the ktm.
    The 400ex will be an absolute stick in the mud. If the
    Bolts are rusted, and it isn’t super clean, it doesent have 10
    Hours on it. I just saw a 6 hour since new ktm go for 8 grand I think. He might mean 10
    Hours on motor. Buying a new yfzr is a lot of money for something that need a good bit more money to work well. Just sayin

Sponsored Links