600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)
    Junior Member Rookie

600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)

I got my motor back from Thumper and was stoked to get it in. Spent all Friday morning and afternoon putting it back together it(slow I know, first time). Experienced very few problems but then didn't have spark. After about an hour of troubleshooting we were clueless. Then my friend went to my tether cable plug and really pushed the two ends together and heard a small snap... voila, we have spark. Started up with ease after that. Followed Thumper's break in guide closely and everything was going good. Rode it down some dirt roads for the final break in step and it felt pretty good. The following Monday I had planned to go to Silver Lake Sand Dunes and test it out so I put the paddle tires on it and loaded it on the trailer. Soon after that the heartbreak happened... Used ratchet straps we've never had problems with before and somehow or another the strap holding the rear down snapped(I don't leave it in gear when I'm trailering it because it can damage internals). Then all I can assume is it rolled forward, the front strap came off, and off the trailer it rolled. The front strap was found unbroken. An old lady came up beside us and honked and pointed back and we only saw 1 of the 2 quads still on the trailer. Mind you, the other one was a $800 Yamaha Blaster... I really wish that one would have went off instead. We were only on the road for about 20 minutes before this happened. I had to run about 200 yards and found it flipped upside down. I got sick as soon I saw it so I flipped it over then immediately kneeled down and threw up. Then my brother came driving up after turning around and we picked it up and loaded it back on the trailer and headed to the bar so I could drown my sorrows.

Other than the BRAND NEW FROM AUSTRIA plastics, seat cover, and handlebars/handlebar controls I don't see anything else broke other than the sub frame being a little bent. I have yet to dyno tune it because I was still waiting on my exhaust to be finished from All4Racing, but I can't even start it up to make sure the engine is undamaged because the clutch lever won't move at all. I'm active duty Navy and am stationed states away from where my quads are located so it could be another year until it's back together completely. I have Renthal bars I can use but I'll have to buy all new or used handlebar controls before it's even possible to ride again. Including the cost of plastics (if I buy new ones and dont try to sand these down and make them look okay again) I think that one ratchet strap is worth about $1200. Sweet.

Oh yeah and this all happened the day before my birthday
    600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)-img-5011.jpg600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)-img-5110.jpg600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)-img-5112.jpg600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)-img-5118.jpg600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)-img-5119.jpg600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)-img-5120.jpg600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)-img-5113.jpg600cc Build Complete, then rolled off trailer on freeway (with pictures)-img-5114.jpg
    2008 600XC
    Thumper 570 Big Bore Kit | Billet Ultralight Stroker Crankshaft | 14:1 CP Piston | 43.5mm Carb |Stage 5 Thumper Cam | Ported Head for O/S Valves | 450SX Swingarm | Houser Steering Stem | Fourwerx Seat | Fuel Customs Intake | American Star Long Travel A-Arms | Elka Stage 5 Shocks | FMF Slip-On | HiPer Beadlocks all around | E-Sticky Graphics
    2008 505SX
    Factory FMF Slip-On

Senior Member KTMATVHQ Guru
    Ouch! that's rough man. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I've seen some that came out a lot worse after coming off of a trailer, but like you said the time lost in this case is probably worse than the monetary loss.
    Mine:
    2017 Husky FX 450
    2009 505 SX
    2008 525 XC-modded for mx (currently 450 cylinder)
    Dad's:
    2009 450 SX
    2008 540 XC

Junior Member Rookie
    That stinks! Where are in central MI? I live in Saginaw.

4. Remove Advertisements
    KTMATVHQ.com
    Advertisements

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch450 View Post
    That stinks! Where are in central MI? I live in Saginaw.
    Just north of St Johns
    2008 600XC
    Thumper 570 Big Bore Kit | Billet Ultralight Stroker Crankshaft | 14:1 CP Piston | 43.5mm Carb |Stage 5 Thumper Cam | Ported Head for O/S Valves | 450SX Swingarm | Houser Steering Stem | Fourwerx Seat | Fuel Customs Intake | American Star Long Travel A-Arms | Elka Stage 5 Shocks | FMF Slip-On | HiPer Beadlocks all around | E-Sticky Graphics
    2008 505SX
    Factory FMF Slip-On

Sponsored Links